News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

^I find that this site gets very upset if Edmonton does not get its fair screen time.
Who wants to play second fiddle? Imagine the shoe on the other foot. The only reason they want Edmonton’s participation is so they can secure more provincial funding. Their Modus operandi “what is yours is ours what’s mine is mine”

Mayor Sohi responds to provincial decision about Commonwealth Games bid​

August 3, 2023

Mayor Sohi was informed directly of the Government of Alberta’s decision to not continue with a bid for the 2030 Commonwealth Games. He issued the following statement in response:

“I appreciated being notified by Minister Schow as soon as the decision was made by the provincial government to withdraw its support. As one of the 40 best sports cities in the world, we were truly excited to unite people worldwide in a celebration of sport and culture, advance reconciliation with our Indigenous partners and create infrastructure and program legacies for future generations.

Our talented city has an incredibly strong community and drive for success. Sports are part of our DNA and we love how it brings people together. Edmonton will continue hosting national and international events and showcase talented athletes of all ages and abilities while building legacies and lifetime memories for our community.

We want to thank all partners who participated in this provincial bid exploration. We look forward to continued work with our government partners. I appreciate Minister Schow’s commitment to continue to work with the City of Edmonton to continue to build and rehabilitate sports infrastructure and advance sport tourism for our city, province, and country.”

Mayor Amarjeet Sohi​

Media contact:
Lindsay Harvey
Office of the Mayor
780-818-3707​

Not too shaken up about this, but I'd still like the GOA to provide some healthy funding to renovate Commonwealth Stadium.
I agree - Commonwealth not worth the effort or financial commitment by the Province. Besides the Feds should have covered all of the $$$ if they want Canada to remain in the Commonwealth - and if the games are important to Canada. Frankly I could care less about the Commonwealth, Crown (Chuck and the concubine). The Province would be smart to get on with upgrades to major facilities in Edmonton and Calgary and construct new community fitness centres in Edmonton, Calgary and rural communities.

^ Same. It always had a "been there done that" vibe for me. Plus my spidey senses ( paranoia) were tingling as I thought it was a way for C-gary to get their new arena, plus a new football stadium and field house and other new facilities all via federal and GoA funds. And we would have ended up with a wonderfull reno and addition to the Coronation Lawn Bowling Center - no insult intended to the lawn bowlers out there.

Even the BBC is talking about it.

Well, this is just one less obstacle in the way of a joint Edmonton-Calgary bid for the Olympic Summer Games, :)

In my skeptical mind, this is a UCP/calgary decision of not getting into a major event because the plan is to prepare YYC for another Winter Olympics that the province would commit significant funding for, haha

See what the UCP has done to my brain 🤕

Not upset at this whatsoever. It would have been a big burden on tax payers at a time of extreme volatility in the world. Plus, I would have much preferred Edmonton go at this one solo - we hosted when we were a significantly smaller city and got legacy projects out of those games. In this event, we'd be lucky to see maybe a quarter of the events even hosted here and the fact is, the Commonwealth Games are nowhere near as prestigious as they used to be.

Still hope Commonwealth gets the makeover she deserves though.

In my skeptical mind, this is a UCP/calgary decision of not getting into a major event because the plan is to prepare YYC for another Winter Olympics that the province would commit significant funding for, haha

See what the UCP has done to my brain 🤕
I've never been a big supporter of the idea that the Winter or Summer Olympics should return to a city that's already hosted the same event. That's why I don't like the idea of either Calgary or Vancouver getting the Winter Olympics again. I'd rather see a place like Quebec City--which has never held a Games--land the next Winter Olympics in Canada.

However, no Alberta city has ever hosted a Summer Olympics--and Canada hasn't hosted one since Montreal 1976. I've always liked the idea of Edmonton and Calgary collaborating on an event that would be bigger than anything either of them has ever done. And while the Summer Games would be super expensive, it would provide a showcase for the province like nothing before or since.

I will confess that I'm getting tired of the provincial government banging on about promoting Alberta on the one hand and then repeatedly declining to support bids for events that would do just that (I'm also recalling Edmonton's abandoned Expo bid).

In order to bring down the astronomical cost of hosting the Olympics they will have to reduce the number of events. Trying to be all things to all people all the time clearly is not viable go back to the traditional events

Commonwealth Games who? Are they even televised? Can't say I've seen a sport on tv from these Games in what seems like 30+ years.....more money for things like oh I don't know....maybe a new SW Hospital?

Commonwealth Games who? Are they even televised? Can't say I've seen a sport on tv from these Games in what seems like 30+ years.....more money for things like oh I don't know....maybe a new SW Hospital?
The "hospital" is going to remain an empty field for many years to come. The problem is that now with zero Edmonton MLAs, there's absolutely no one fighting for the hospital at the Cabinet level. There's no completion date set or construction timeline, nor is there even a budgeted cost for the total project--any of which would be useful if the province actually intended to build something on the site.

Back