News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

That ultra traditional conservative stuffy old guard in Toronto will surely ask for a glass box instead. Designs like this are polarizing. The old guard hate it while the new have been patiently waiting for decades for Toronto ditch its stodgy ways.

I love the design but we'll likely end up with yet another forgettable sterile box added to the top. I'd very much like to be wrong.

I'm sure if this was going ahead it would be refined. I'm uncertain if structural engineers have even seen it. As for the design, it's a fine line between tacky and greatness and this is far from great as it presents it's itself as an uncomplimentary heavy, sky printed, box with thumb nail cut outs on a heritage structure. The interior space is more interesting but, there's nothing ingenious about the usage. The last thing Toronto needs is another conference facility,

Definitely on the top-heavy side- a more delicate structure would work better but I presume they have to include the mechanical systems of the building in that box.

So it appears the statement-piece is moving ahead..........

The building is fully vacant. They are now beginning construction, making improvements on everything from the ground up. WeWork will be the lead tenant building their Canadian flagship office. Expected occupancy is 2020.

“At 357 Bay St. in Toronto downtown, we secured a lease for the entire building with WeWork for approximately 65 thousand square feet commencing in the second half of 2020 for a term of 15 years, with net rental rates starting at $45 per square foot, with annual rent escalators. The Trust intends to invest approximately $29 million into the asset over the next two years, which includes a complete reconstruction of the building interior, all associated capital improvements and fit-outs and tenant allowances for fixtures. Upon completion, 357 Bay St. will transform into a best-in-class boutique office building in downtown Toronto. WeWork is a U.S.-based company that operates a global network of real estate solutions and services ranging from flexible, community-oriented workspace for entrepreneurs to more complex global solutions for Fortune 500 companies. WeWork has over 250,000 members spanning 253 locations across 74 cities in 22 countries (Source: WeWork 2018 Economic Impact Report). 357 Bay St. will be the first property that is entirely dedicated to WeWork in Canada and will serve as its headquarter and national flagship location.”

WeWork to continue expanding Toronto footprint with two new locations

New York City-based WeWork has announced its plans to open two new Toronto locations, with opening dates set for 2020 and 2021.

The first location set to open will be located in the core of downtown Toronto, in the centre of the Financial District at Richmond and Bay, becoming the sixth and seventh to be announced since entering the city in 2017.

This massive WeWork location will occupy 11 floors of a landmark building, bringing more than 1,000 entrepreneurs, mid-market and enterprise companies to the Bay Street Village. This is the first partnership agreement between Dream, one of Canada’s leading real estate companies, and WeWork.

Located at 357 Bay Street, WeWork says the sprawling new space is situated between the King and Queen streetcar routes and within walking distance to the Yonge subway line, attracting remote workers commuting from outside of the city.

Chris Bonneville, Director of Real Estate Management, Northeast Canada, WeWork, says the new Bay Street location will be “extremely important” for WeWork in Toronto for many reasons.

“It is our second in the core of the financial district, it is a standalone, landmark building and there’s huge potential for WeWork’s member companies to change the makeup of this intersection.”

“This is our first deal with Dream and we’re looking forward to entering into a larger partnership to help diversify their portfolio in the city.”
More.....http://dailyhive.com/toronto/wework-expansion-new-toronto-locations

Hoarding is up:

C5C417B7-FA49-4617-A4BA-9EC51F37E99D.jpeg

Interesting project - although I'm not really into this shared office space trend. My business partner and I have our own office a couple of blocks away and it's considerably cheaper. But it's true that small, high-quality offices are very difficult to find.

Would be great on another building.
The space is beautiful, but clashes with the original building in a negative way.

Back