8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

3Dementia

Member Bio
Reaction score
I have been assembling models (really dug the glue) and sharpening pencil crayons since I was 5 years old.

Since I was too lazy to learn anything about architecture (or train in the field), I enjoy the luxury of dreaming up totally impractical and poorly thought out project designs... an extension of my childhood hobby.

So I thought I'd start a thread about stuff I'd make and where I'd put it... if there's any interest in this fingering painting... I keep adding to the collection. If there is no interest... the thread will die a natural death.

CAVEATS:
1. You can assume I've given little or no thought to planning, transportation or even context issues. My colouring book has no such rules.

2. If you choose to use this thread to constantly exercise your inner Christopher Hume... you can assume your negative opinions of my work are worth precisely what I paid you.

Since these are architectural ideas (cobbled together from bits and pieces), this is the only place I could think of to put the thread.

*First up is Cumberland Terrace, a site near and dear to many.

I include the sketch that's been floating around and my scribble for the site... sort of a Quantum/BCE hybrid that would host Toronto's 1200 foot signature tower just behind Bay and Bloor.

cumterplan.jpg

cumter.jpg

Actually it's original... that is to say samplings of 6 different claddings, crowns etc.

The top BTW will be constructed of reinforced acrylic with embedded led strands.

I knew you would recognize this aesthetic musing (think back... waaaay back)... but I'm shocked that you are the first to post (you rarely post).

I just realized that you are right... after messing around with 7 layers... I ended up with something exactly like Pelli's BOA.

Ah well... time to go back to an earlier incarnation.

BTW, next up is Interchange42's excellent fundraising idea... Erickson-inspired condo on ths south side of Roy Thomson (using the mullion free curtain wall that Arthur designed... only to be dumbed down and forgotten until the Museum of Glass.

Wow - that's quite the over-the-top hat you've designed for the tower's skyline presence. Rome's got their wedding cake, now we'd have ours. I like the massive glass-roofed podium. Maybe it could cover a local version of Disney's Jungle Cruise in there - the Urban Jungle Criuse.

Roy Thomson Hall condo.

OK 42... this one's for you (your idea)...

This creature is probably the nicest building I've ever sketched.

So here's the catch... instead of art, parks or other public amenities the developer has to kick in $3 million so Roy Thomson can get the gorgeous elliptical, mullion-free glass exterior that Erickson designed originally for the hall (the close-ups show the mullions and concrete cap that we got).

And RTH also gets an appropriate $ annuity.

BTW, my RTH condo isn't as outrageously difficult to build as it may look... it's essentially a box with a couple of translucent curved glass "add ons" that echo the diamond/mullion free glass of the new and improved RTH exterior. The curved glass was inspired by AGO and the built form of course echoes the Ritz.

Me likey.

rthcondo.jpg

I likey too. Easy? No. Beautiful? Hell yes.

I REALLY likey that look at the original RTH design. What a stunner that would've been. Geez.

Shameless bump before I let the thread die.

I'm suprised no-one else has an opinion on the RTH condo design... I assumed it would polarize arm-chair critics, but would elicit a response. I prefer love but any discussion will do. ;-)

Back