News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

^not any time soon - 20+ years. the planning is being done so that when the time to build comes, old plans can be quickly updated because much of the leg work has already been done.

Great to see this still be actively worked on. Is there any timeline for what's happening next? How long until we get to see shovels hit the ground?

Not until 2030 at the earliest. Unfortunately these are just EA's designed to ensure the land is reserved for future use.

Interestingly, they included what looks to be TBM tunnel cross sections in the EA (pg 18 from https://407transitway.com/brantToHu...4 - EPR - 5 - Preferred Alternative - WEB.pdf ; all other page numbers in this post refer to this document unless otherwise specified.):
1597353228883.png

The EPR also shows tunnels going under the 403/407 interchange (I would imagine this would be cheaper to do as a big flyover? Seems unnecessary to tunnel):
Sources for the images below, in order:
pg 9
1597353552186.png

1597355543777.png
1597355352364.png
1597355593919.png

It also shows this extremely long BRT tunnel under the hydro corridor to get to Lisgar GO, as well as what looks to be a horrible connection at Lisgar (A York U Busway type solution would be way cheaper, but I guess that's up to Hydro One. If Hydro One doesn't allow, I'd imagine the Lisgar connection would be deleted if and when this is built, just like the CCTT station on the Mississauga Transitway)
1597367347220.png

1597355836964.png

Both of these long tunnels are described as "A combination of cast-in-place box tunnel and bored tunnel with active ventilation" on pg 31.
Hopefully these things are improved if and when this thing is built since these tunnels would be insanely expensive and don't seem super necessary, and that Lisgar GO layout really sucks (well, at least it's better than what's proposed at Bramalea lol, but still bad)

Attachments

• 1597367216836.png
    1597367216836.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 320
  • 1597367247347.png
    1597367247347.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 330
Great to see this still be actively worked on. Is there any timeline for what's happening next? How long until we get to see shovels hit the ground?
By the time there is actual demand for this, eBuses would be well developed and remove the necessary for a strong ventilation system to remove diesel fumes from the tunnel.

By the time there is actual demand for this, eBuses would be well developed and remove the necessary for a strong ventilation system to remove diesel fumes from the tunnel.
Wouldn't ventilation also be important for allowing air circulation in the case of an emergency?

Wouldn't ventilation also be important for allowing air circulation in the case of an emergency?
Ventilation would be needed but the types of ventilators would be different if it was for a electric subway/LRT vs something that actively produces dangerous fumes.

Interestingly, they included what looks to be TBM tunnel cross sections in the EA (pg 18 from https://407transitway.com/brantToHurontario/downloads/407TW4 - EPR - 5 - Preferred Alternative - WEB.pdf ; all other page numbers in this post refer to this document unless otherwise specified.):
View attachment 263059

The EPR also shows tunnels going under the 403/407 interchange (I would imagine this would be cheaper to do as a big flyover? Seems unnecessary to tunnel):
Sources for the images below, in order:
pg 9
View attachment 263060
View attachment 263064View attachment 263063View attachment 263065

It also shows this extremely long BRT tunnel under the hydro corridor to get to Lisgar GO, as well as what looks to be a horrible connection at Lisgar (A York U Busway type solution would be way cheaper, but I guess that's up to Hydro One. If Hydro One doesn't allow, I'd imagine the Lisgar connection would be deleted if and when this is built, just like the CCTT station on the Mississauga Transitway)
View attachment 263091
View attachment 263067
Both of these long tunnels are described as "A combination of cast-in-place box tunnel and bored tunnel with active ventilation" on pg 31.
Hopefully these things are improved if and when this thing is built since these tunnels would be insanely expensive and don't seem super necessary, and that Lisgar GO layout really sucks (well, at least it's better than what's proposed at Bramalea lol, but still bad)

They better build the tunnels big enough for LRT upgrade...

if they're worried about buses operating on the surface in their corridor why don't they build it at grade but in a tunnel, like the Rosedale valley bridge?
1200px-TTC_over_Rosedale_Valley_Road.jpg

That's the thing....for a system like this, wouldn't platooning and autonomous electric buses cover most of the future capacity needs?
At a certain point you can only fit so many people per bus. Part of why Ottawa went to LRT was that even with a downtown tunnel the bus frequency needed in the future would have been insane. I forget the exact details offhand but it was something like needing a bus less than every 30 seconds at peak hours.

At a certain point you can only fit so many people per bus. Part of why Ottawa went to LRT was that even with a downtown tunnel the bus frequency needed in the future would have been insane. I forget the exact details offhand but it was something like needing a bus less than every 30 seconds at peak hours.
All I'm saying is, I have a hard time seeing the 407 transitway hitting 30 second peak period headways in the 30 year-lifecycle of the initial road bed construction. Just meaning you likely don't need to 'future-proof' for LRT at this time. And you could even get into bi-articulated buses too on a system like this.

Reactions: rbt
All I'm saying is, I have a hard time seeing the 407 transitway hitting 30 second peak period headways in the 30 year-lifecycle of the initial road bed construction. Just meaning you likely don't need to 'future-proof' for LRT at this time. And you could even get into bi-articulated buses too on a system like this.

road bed is not the issue, its overpasses, underpasses and tunnels. Which have 100 year life cycles.

Can't all the tunnelling west of Lisgar GO be replaced with just running it on street on Argentia? All you'd need is a short underpass either on or west of Ninth Line. At the very least, that area won't have any stops and could easily be widened to add dedicated bus lanes.

Back