News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

34th Ave and Gateway......100%!!!!! without a doubt. As soon as you hit the city - BOOM! You get a wickedly long set of lights....
I am closer to 34 ave intersection but I think I'd rather pick 51 Ave. It is more or less in the middle, in between the 23rd Ave overpass and the Argyle underpass

I'm on the same page as you. On a strict basis of number of cars stopped/delayed by a train on a daily basis, 75th probably does beat out any other at-grade intersection in the city, but after the costs of this project I just don't see the value doing anymore unless it's part of an already large redevelopment of an area/intersection.

Not in Edmonton proper, but I do think the CN ROW on HWY 60 just north of 16A could be done someday (and I'm guessing it might be part of the final twinning of 60 between HWY 16 and Devon), especially since Acheson continues to expand and grow as a strong industrial sector in the metro region. Plus good lord CN runs a lot of trains down that track
I believe this bridge in Acheson is in the planning stage through the province. Was announced a year or two ago.

75 Street is not as bad as 50th because it’s not near a yard. The trains go through there at faster speeds and do not stop and backup. I think the next crossing in the city that has the longest delays would be the Whitemud Drive service roads east of Gateway since it’s just north of CPKC’s intermodal yard. Not sure how to fix that one easily though…

Basically every intersection on the north-south Canadian Pacific line from 41st Ave SW to Whyte Ave needs to be grade-separated as the next priority if we’re going to be serious about building high-speed and regional rail. Especially at Whitemud Drive.

75 Street is not as bad as 50th because it’s not near a yard. The trains go through there at faster speeds and do not stop and backup. I think the next crossing in the city that has the longest delays would be the Whitemud Drive service roads east of Gateway since it’s just north of CPKC’s intermodal yard. Not sure how to fix that one easily though…
Yeah, that one would be a nightmare to fix. I'd imagine the retaining wall for the Whitemud adds a whole other layer of complexity to what would already be an incredibly difficult solution with what could be built adjacent as far as pillars to send the road over the rail (or vice versa somehow). Don't imagine we'll see it for a long, long time.

Back