News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I’ve worked around here for years.

About 10 years ago I asked a Staff Sergeant why they were using the courtyard for parking. He said it was short term and due to renovations in their parking garage.

It doesn’t really instil confidence in the justice system when the police break the law and then lie to your face about it.

Which law was that?

Which law was that?
The Toronto Municipal Code? Section 915? We could start quoting chapter and verse at each other, but perhaps you could share the basis of your belief that it’s legal for the police to park their cars on a public courtyard on a permanent, non-emergency basis.

I'd actually be happy to see the explanation for why the cops think this is legal (if there is one). Not that that excuses the contempt this displays for the neighborhood.

I just had a scroll through the earlier pages on this thread and see the Hume article (https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2010/12/26/hume_police_park_their_arrogance_for_all_to_see.html) where he was given (in 2010) the exact same explanation that I was given - that this is a temporary measure while they fix their parking garage.

Sound like the Sagrada Familia of parking garages!

Has anyone contacted Cressy? I'm busy dealing with my ward councillor about another issue related to misuse of public space so...

The Toronto Municipal Code? Section 915? We could start quoting chapter and verse at each other, but perhaps you could share the basis of your belief that it’s legal for the police to park their cars on a public courtyard on a permanent, non-emergency basis.

Is it public? City seem to show the property line for that building extending right up to the sidewalk.

Is it public? City seem to show the property line for that building extending right up to the sidewalk.
It is City owned land - occupied by the T PS - and is not supposed to be used for parking. There are no current open building permits for 255 Dundas W so the former excuse ("garage repairs") would seem not to be available.

Presently:

E1C72F99-82A2-4633-A748-C0F08711CD54.jpeg

No parking on the boulevard... Except by us!!!

349ADB26-F411-49B7-B120-3BA10E01A8E6.jpeg

The TPS genuinely never fails to disappoint/enrage -- their statement added to the end of that story makes me want to scream:

STATUS: I sent a note to Toronto police, asking why the metal fencing is there and if there’s a timeline to remove it. I got the following reply from Constable David Hopkinson: “The barricades have been in place for a number of months while ongoing maintenance projects take place at the Division and to allow sufficient room. For emergency vehicles and to ensure public safety. Pedestrians continue to have full access to the sidewalk and can access the station at either end of the barricades.”

Would be great to have a police force that doesn't hate the city.

The TPS genuinely never fails to disappoint/enrage -- their statement added to the end of that story makes me want to scream:

STATUS: I sent a note to Toronto police, asking why the metal fencing is there and if there’s a timeline to remove it. I got the following reply from Constable David Hopkinson: “The barricades have been in place for a number of months while ongoing maintenance projects take place at the Division and to allow sufficient room. For emergency vehicles and to ensure public safety. Pedestrians continue to have full access to the sidewalk and can access the station at either end of the barricades.”

Would be great to have a police force that doesn't hate the city.
Would be great for the local councilor to pressure them to remove it, as was done a decade ago.

However, since it's Cressy's ward and he won't be running again in the election this fall, I'd say he's unlikely to take on this task since he's already mentally checked out. And I fear that whoever the new councilor will be might be reluctant to ruffle the feathers of the TPS as a rookie, so we might be stuck with this eyesore for a while still...

Would be great for the local councilor to pressure them to remove it, as was done a decade ago.

However, since it's Cressy's ward and he won't be running again in the election this fall, I'd say he's unlikely to take on this task since he's already mentally checked out. And I fear that whoever the new councilor will be might be reluctant to ruffle the feathers of the TPS as a rookie, so we might be stuck with this eyesore for a while still...
Joe Cressy resigned as councillor of Ward 10 effective May 31st and his spot is being kept warm by Joe Mihevc. Councillor Mihevc has promised not to do anything before the next election when he won’t run for the position.
Link to City announcement

Back