News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I could swear we had a thread for this.............but I can't find it, so I'll make it (again?) LOL.

Due to some recent lobbying activity I found an entry for Tenblock lobbying on this property and the adjacent 3483 Bathurst.

These 2 buildings, purpose-built rentals, frame the south-east corner of the intersection, and back onto Earl Bales Park.

1659036504858.png

Streetview: (Sheppard frontage)

1659036551817.png

Streetview (Bathurst frontage)

1659036609697.png

Streetview: Presumptive Infill Site:

1659036655349.png

Aerial Pic:

1659036757789.png

All-in site size (includes existing buildings) : ~ 1.9ha/4.6 ac

Presumptive Infill site (existing buildings remain) : ~2000m2/22000ft2

(aerial of my approximate assumption)

1659037053563.png

This should achieve necessary separation distances; though its likely the City would want some further set back from Sheppard.

* note, should the Sheppard West subway be greenlit, this would be an MTSA site, but it is not, currently.

Oh man. I worked on this site...seven(?) years ago? It's got a huge underground garage which drove all densification. Interested to see how things have evolved since then.

Can you get to York Mills station by bike or foot through the park and valley? Or is it insane to bike Sheppard?

1659101530977.png

Can you get to York Mills station by bike or foot through the park and valley?

Bike? No. Foot, sorta, the City Golf Course is in the way, and generally fenced off, there is no paved or other formal trail around it, but there are some foot paths, but they are, at times, uneven, on slopes etc. So more like hiking than a stroll.

Or is it insane to bike Sheppard?

Never tried it. I imagine not very many would be comfortable with it and it's also some real exercise climbing the valley too; but I'd leave it those who have cycled there to comment.

Can you get to York Mills station by bike or foot through the park and valley? Or is it insane to bike Sheppard?

View attachment 416793
I rode Sheppard quite a few times, not the most pleasant place to ride. If you do want to go Sheppard route, ride it to Easton Rd and then take one of the residential streets to go to Yonge. But then you will have to take Yonge... bad choice. I would take Bathurst to York Downs Dr, through the Avenue bridge over 401 and then Wilson to Yonge.

Of course you can access York Mills Subway Station,... during to the Winter when golf season is over and Don Valley Golf Course land is open to the general public,... beside bike and walking,... cross-country skiing is an option too!

For year round access,.... As part of the City's on-going Golf Course Review,... there is pressure to create Multi-Use Trail connection through the Don Valley Golf Course connecting existing Trail network of Earl Bales Park to York Mills Subway Station and the trails in Hoggs Hollow,... this would require about 40% of the Golf Course to be redesigned:
"5. City Council direct the General Manager, Parks, Forestry and Recreation to report back to the Infrastructure and Environment Committee on a plan and design to create a safe access and entry way from the bottom of Earl Bales Park (near the storm water ponds) to the Don Valley Golf Course for off-season access and use."

I believe the original developer of the existing buildings here is the same developer of the building that collapsed in Florida a few years back.

I believe the original developer of the existing buildings here is the same developer of the building that collapsed in Florida a few years back.

That developer was busy in Toronto,.... very busy,...
1661062041313.png

"Before Florida’s deadly condo collapse, one of the Canadians behind the development faced decades of lawsuits and claims of fraud"

Is it possible/desirable to prod bylaw/whoever to look into those buildings? An ounce of prevention...

Is it possible/desirable to prod bylaw/whoever to look into those buildings? An ounce of prevention...

25 St. Mary is headed for demolition, and will have been looked at closely, I imagine for the upcoming project there.

But it wouldn't be a bad idea to have the others looked over.

That developer was busy in Toronto,.... very busy,...
View attachment 421721

"Before Florida’s deadly condo collapse, one of the Canadians behind the development faced decades of lawsuits and claims of fraud"

To save those a click who are wondering who the developer was of the Florida tower, this article says it was the following group: Nathan Reiber, Nathan Goldlist, Isadore Goldlist, and Roman “Abe” Blankenstein.

Last edited:
A very interesting lobbyist registry today, which doesn't mention this property, but is surely tied to it:

1685476337986.png

As as side note, it took me a small eternity to find this thread via Google.

I had to first pin point the address; then include Tenblock in the search along with urbantoronto to generate the thread.

We really need to find a category for these type of threads that allows a pin on the map even w/o a database file.

These boys ain't playing,... Tenblock (who owns 3 apartment buildinge near Sheppard & Bathurst) partnered up with Advocates like The Centre for Active Transportation, Cycle Toronto, Evergreen, Foodshare, Park People, Toronto Field Naturalists, WalkTO, BikeMayor,... on a walk through Earl Bales Park multi-use trails to discuss possible connections to York Mills Subway Station,... also in attendance was Cllr James Pasternak and his OfficeStaff along with high ranking CityPlanning Staff. Seems Cllr Mike Colle cancelled. About 40 people showed up on Sunday afternoon.

1690861489718.png

EarlBales1.png

EarlBales2.png

This is so awesome and could practically happen in a year.

Nope. This will not happen in a year. There's a lot of advocacy ahead,.. a lot of different City department to deal with,... especially City Park and Rec's Don Valley Golf Course - they've been the biggest road block to a multi-use trail for the last 20 years,... I personally have been involved in past advocacy for multi-use trail through and by-passing Don Valley Golf Course to connect multi-use trials in Earl Bales Park to York Mills Subway Station,.... all we're really seeing now,... is just a new generation of advocates taking over the same fight,...

Back