News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.3K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

Nope. This will not happen in a year. There's a lot of advocacy ahead,.. a lot of different City department to deal with,... especially City Park and Rec's Don Valley Golf Course - they've been the biggest road block to a multi-use trail for the last 20 years,... I personally have been involved in past advocacy for multi-use trail through and by-passing Don Valley Golf Course to connect multi-use trials in Earl Bales Park to York Mills Subway Station,.... all we're really seeing now,... is just a new generation of advocates taking over the same fight,...
Yep. I said it could practically happen in a year not that it would. It's a pretty straightforward idea which pretty much utilizes already established bike trails, parkland, and green space. Things have gotten much better for biking in Toronto in 20 years the development of Bike Share Toronto, Bike Lanes and my personal favourite because it's where I bike the hydro-corridor bike trail, all were almost inconceivable 20 years ago. Lots of reasons to not be a pessimist as a young person living in the area.

Nope. This will not happen in a year. There's a lot of advocacy ahead,.. a lot of different City department to deal with,... especially City Park and Rec's Don Valley Golf Course - they've been the biggest road block to a multi-use trail for the last 20 years,... I personally have been involved in past advocacy for multi-use trail through and by-passing Don Valley Golf Course to connect multi-use trials in Earl Bales Park to York Mills Subway Station,.... all we're really seeing now,... is just a new generation of advocates taking over the same fight,...

I noted the lobbying above, which has been extensive. In speaking to City staff supportive of this idea, there is a general sense that this is a very difficult fight. It should happen; but it will not happen easily.

Yep. I said it could practically happen in a year not that it would. It's a pretty straightforward idea which pretty much utilizes already established bike trails, parkland, and green space. Things have gotten much better for biking in Toronto in 20 years the development of Bike Share Toronto, Bike Lanes and my personal favourite because it's where I bike the hydro-corridor bike trail, all were almost inconceivable 20 years ago. Lots of reasons to not be a pessimist as a young person living in the area.

Almost inconceivable 20 years ago? Really??? Dude, you're debating the wrong issue with the wrong guy!

Your personal favourite, the Finch Hydro Corridor multi-use trail was actually conceived about 30 years ago via advocacy by Clay McF (who lives near Leslie & Finch Hydro Corridor) of North York Cycling and Pedestrian Committee (later North York Bikes),.... Simple just put in multi-use trail on Finch Hydro Corridor that runs east-west from one end of the city to the other!
- took years of advocacy to get CityStaff to study it
- since Finch Hydro Corridor is Provincial Land (Ontario Hydro / Hydro ONE), needed Provincial OK - got it!
- CityStaff finally got Finch Hydro Corridor multi-use trail project to "Shovel Ready" state,... it took about 10 years to get to here!
- Now for Funding:
--- City wanted Province to pay 100% of cost since it's on Provincial land
--- Province wanted City to pay 100% of cost since City wanted to install the multi-use trail (any utility that install their infrastructure on Finch Hydro Corridor pays to install it!)
- This financial stalemate lasted over 5 years,...
- After going through Budget Committee and then Executive Committee, this little burb to continue made it to City Council on December 10, 2008 "80. Cycling Infrastructure projects consisting of the Finch and Gatineau Hydro Corridor Trail Projects in the amount of $3.100 and $25.690 million for a total project cost of $28.790 million included in the 5-Year Recommended Capital Plan be approved conditionally, subject to receiving funding from the Province."

- City still insisting Province must pay since it's Provincial Land! Province refused to pay!
- Province insisting City must pay since City wants to install the multi-use trail. City refuse to pay!

But it's built now,... so who paid??? The Feds!

In October 2008, the Financial Market crashed,... Federal Government became desperate to pump money into the economy, to keep Canadians working - building Infrastructure! (Here, the US got hit harder because their Fed couldn't afford to pump as much into their economy) Our Feds were willing to pay for any "Shovel Ready" infrastructure project,.... and that's how the Finch Hydro Corridor Multi-Use Trails were financed - most of it anyways,.... City actually wanted the Feds to fund another multi-use trail project, but that wasn't "Shovel Ready", so no money! In Regent Park, their Aquatic Centre & Community Centre was built way before most of the new Regent Park towers were completed,... because it was by fluke "Shovel Ready" and ended up being funded by the Feds desperate to fund any "Shovel Ready" Infrastructure Projects to create jobs! Contrast this to the new $85m Community Centre recently open at Bessarion Station - towards the tail end of Concord-Adex 23 towers Park Place condo project,... where the $85m of Section 37 Community Benefit money are collected bit by bit just before construction of each condo towers starts (condition of Building Permit).

Finch Hydro Corridor Multi-Use trail mainly opened in 2012 but still disjoint,... Needs bridge over Hwy 400 & 404 - while MTO reject it since construction will interfere with their highway traffic,... ditto for bridges over railway lines,... bridge over reservoir at G Ross Lord Park will never happen, City can't afford it so detour around!

BTW, I'm a former member of North York Cycling and Pedestrian Committee. And I would say Clay McF is the most respected Cycling Advocate around,... because he understands the design, engineering, process and what you can get away with and what you can't.

Almost inconceivable 20 years ago? Really??? Dude, you're debating the wrong issue with the wrong guy!

Your personal favourite, the Finch Hydro Corridor multi-use trail was actually conceived about 30 years ago via advocacy by Clay McF (who lives near Leslie & Finch Hydro Corridor) of North York Cycling and Pedestrian Committee (later North York Bikes),.... Simple just put in multi-use trail on Finch Hydro Corridor that runs east-west from one end of the city to the other!
- took years of advocacy to get CityStaff to study it
- since Finch Hydro Corridor is Provincial Land (Ontario Hydro / Hydro ONE), needed Provincial OK - got it!
- CityStaff finally got Finch Hydro Corridor multi-use trail project to "Shovel Ready" state,... it took about 10 years to get to here!
- Now for Funding:
--- City wanted Province to pay 100% of cost since it's on Provincial land
--- Province wanted City to pay 100% of cost since City wanted to install the multi-use trail (any utility that install their infrastructure on Finch Hydro Corridor pays to install it!)
- This financial stalemate lasted over 5 years,...
- After going through Budget Committee and then Executive Committee, this little burb to continue made it to City Council on December 10, 2008 "80. Cycling Infrastructure projects consisting of the Finch and Gatineau Hydro Corridor Trail Projects in the amount of $3.100 and $25.690 million for a total project cost of $28.790 million included in the 5-Year Recommended Capital Plan be approved conditionally, subject to receiving funding from the Province."

- City still insisting Province must pay since it's Provincial Land! Province refused to pay!
- Province insisting City must pay since City wants to install the multi-use trail. City refuse to pay!

But it's built now,... so who paid??? The Feds!

In October 2008, the Financial Market crashed,... Federal Government became desperate to pump money into the economy, to keep Canadians working - building Infrastructure! (Here, the US got hit harder because their Fed couldn't afford to pump as much into their economy) Our Feds were willing to pay for any "Shovel Ready" infrastructure project,.... and that's how the Finch Hydro Corridor Multi-Use Trails were financed - most of it anyways,.... City actually wanted the Feds to fund another multi-use trail project, but that wasn't "Shovel Ready", so no money! In Regent Park, their Aquatic Centre & Community Centre was built way before most of the new Regent Park towers were completed,... because it was by fluke "Shovel Ready" and ended up being funded by the Feds desperate to fund any "Shovel Ready" Infrastructure Projects to create jobs! Contrast this to the new $85m Community Centre recently open at Bessarion Station - towards the tail end of Concord-Adex 23 towers Park Place condo project,... where the $85m of Section 37 Community Benefit money are collected bit by bit just before construction of each condo towers starts (condition of Building Permit).

Finch Hydro Corridor Multi-Use trail mainly opened in 2012 but still disjoint,... Needs bridge over Hwy 400 & 404 - while MTO reject it since construction will interfere with their highway traffic,... ditto for bridges over railway lines,... bridge over reservoir at G Ross Lord Park will never happen, City can't afford it so detour around!

BTW, I'm a former member of North York Cycling and Pedestrian Committee. And I would say Clay McF is the most respected Cycling Advocate around,... because he understands the design, engineering, process and what you can get away with and what you can't.
Cool write up never knew the exact story of the hydro bike trail on Finch. I heard it was also a compromise by Ford and those who were in favour of a full bike lane running the length of Finch Avenue to build it under the hydro wires. I, like you, just want things to happen in our collective lifetimes.

Cool write up never knew the exact story of the hydro bike trail on Finch. I heard it was also a compromise by Ford and those who were in favour of a full bike lane running the length of Finch Avenue to build it under the hydro wires. I, like you, just want things to happen in our collective lifetimes.

- Doug Ford and his Provincial PC Government came into power in 2018
- Toronto's Complete Street was adopted into Official Plan in 2014
Both after Finch Hydro Corridor Multi-Use Trail opened in 2012

Doug Ford was Councillor 2010-2014 when his brother was Mayor,.... Feds already committed infrastructure money to Finch Hydro Corridor Multi-Use trail prior to that!

Finch Hydro Corridor Multi-Use Trail was never an alternative to bike lanes on Finch
- heck, Finch Ave west of Keele is getting Bike Lanes along with Finch West LRT! Parallel to nearby Finch Hydro Corridor Multi-Use Trail 350m away.

- Doug Ford and his Provincial PC Government came into power in 2018
- Toronto's Complete Street was adopted into Official Plan in 2014
Both after Finch Hydro Corridor Multi-Use Trail opened in 2012

Doug Ford was Councillor 2010-2014 when his brother was Mayor,.... Feds already committed infrastructure money to Finch Hydro Corridor Multi-Use trail prior to that!

Finch Hydro Corridor Multi-Use Trail was never an alternative to bike lanes on Finch
- heck, Finch Ave west of Keele is getting Bike Lanes along with Finch West LRT! Parallel to nearby Finch Hydro Corridor Multi-Use Trail 350m away.
Rob Ford 2010

Back