smuncky

Member Bio
Reaction score
588 TTC workers on big-bucks list

200 more employees join workers paid $100,000 or better

Apr 01, 2009 04:30 AM

Tess Kalinowski
TRANSPORTATION REPORTER

Among TTC workers, membership in the province's so-called $100,000 Club jumped by 200 people in 2008. Transit officials say that number will continue to grow as the system expands.

Some 588 TTC staff earned $100,000 or more last year, qualifying them for the province's annual salary disclosure list.

That number includes 62 drivers and 21 station collectors, the people who staff subway fare booths. One driver, Hing Lee – about whom the TTC released no details – was paid $117,922.

Operators and collectors who earn that much do so by working copious amounts of overtime, said TTC spokesperson Brad Ross. Without the overtime, those jobs pay only about $60,000 annually.

The TTC, like many transit systems, budgets for overtime – about $21 million on $934 million in salary and benefits this year.

"We anticipate overtime. Individuals who choose to work overtime do so because they wish to. It saves the system money to pay and budget for overtime (rather than) hire additional bodies and pay those benefits. You wouldn't see those names on this list, necessarily, but it would cost the system more money at the end of the day," said Ross.

Some of the overtime is the result of boosting service. Last year, the TTC put more buses on the road to cope with increasing ridership, and it recently extended the hours of bus operations to match the subway.

This year, the TTC will hire about 950 drivers. Most of those will be replacing retirees, but the number includes 373 new operators, cleaners and other maintenance workers. Also, 175 workers will be hired for a streetcar overhaul and Transit City projects.

"We always have to budget for overtime. There are illnesses, there are unforeseen circumstances where we need to pay overtime, and it really has nothing to do with hiring. ...

"The option is to hire far more people than you actually need at the end of the day, and (that would) cost the system much more money," Ross said.

TTC chair Adam Giambrone said the use of overtime is "a common technique used on any transit property." Growth in overtime hasn't exceeded the growth in wages in recent years, but overall it does grow along with wages and as the system operates more buses, he said.

The going rate for transportation engineers and designers is in the $100,000-and-up range, he added.

If the so-called "sunshine list," created in 1996, were indexed to 2008 dollars, the equivalent earnings today would be about $130,000.

"That would eliminate every collector and operator," Giambrone said. "If that $100,000 threshold was adjusted, we'd be looking at approximately 60 people on that list today."

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/611565

I blame this squarely on management. Nobody in their right mind would allow employees to double their income from overtime. It is fiscal suicide. Overtime is meant to cover temporary shortages in employment, not be a full time MO. Especially for something as unskilled as station monkeying. Just hire part time staff at minimum wage. If a cash boy at McDonald's pulled down a six figure salary, management would get an aneurysm.

Not allowing a driver to take overtime when there's a shortage of drivers results in $400,000 buses sitting idle in a garage. What's the bigger waste of money?

Not allowing a driver to take overtime when there's a shortage of drivers results in $400,000 buses sitting idle in a garage. What's the bigger waste of money?

Like I said, overtime is meant for temporary labor shortages. With the TTC though, you have people year after year on the sunshine list thanks to overtime. If you have people just about doubling their salary year after year you are a horrible manager. Period. If Hing Lee earned about 120k, and the standard salary is 60k, it doesn't take a genius to see that the TTC could have just hired two operators and avoid exorbitant overtime.

For tasks which require complex training, I am somewhat more understanding. But for completely unskilled tasks like station monkeying, that much overtime is completely ridiculous and a sign of managerial incompetence. Nobody in their right mind would pay someone 60k in overtime to sit in a booth. Nobody. There is no company outside of the public sector which would let that happen.

There's a shortage of drivers?? Are you serious?? Where do I sign up, I want to be paid $28/hour to drive a bus. :D

Like I said, overtime is meant for temporary labor shortages. With the TTC though, you have people year after year on the sunshine list thanks to overtime. If you have people just about doubling their salary year after year you are a horrible manager. Period. If Hing Lee earned about 120k, and the standard salary is 60k, it doesn't take a genius to see that the TTC could have just hired two operators and avoid exorbitant overtime.

For tasks which require complex training, I am somewhat more understanding. But for completely unskilled tasks like station monkeying, that much overtime is completely ridiculous and a sign of managerial incompetence. Nobody in their right mind would pay someone 60k in overtime to sit in a booth. Nobody. There is no company outside of the public sector which would let that happen.

It's probably cheaper to pay someone $60,000 + $60,000 overtime per year than it would be to pay two people $60,000 each, when you factor in benefits, insurance and other premiums.

Though I'm wondering if there's any kind of cap on overtime for drivers -- it can't be great for safety to have someone who's working 60+ hours a week operating heavy machinery.

I don't think individual TTC worker salaries are the problem, really - the problem is that jobs like ticket taker still exist. Not to sound callous, but we should have replaced these people with machines a decade ago.

21 station collectors?! STATION COLLECTORS? They can be replaced by machines that cost $100 000!

I was so much happier before I read this.

It's probably cheaper to pay someone $60,000 + $60,000 overtime per year than it would be to pay two people $60,000 each, when you factor in benefits, insurance and other premiums.

I'm not sure that's true. They get paid more when they work overtime, so the second $60 000 is actually for about half the time worked as the first $60 000. I believe overtime is around time and a half.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that's true. They get paid more when they work overtime, so the second $60 000 is actually for about half the time worked at the second $60 000. I believe overtime is around time and a half.
True, but you save all the overhead costs of an employee; benefits, pension, training, etc.

True, but you save all the overhead costs of an employee; benefits, pension, training, etc.

Agreed. I'm just saying that the second $60 000 gets the TTC a lot less than the first. I don't know which is cheaper.

Ticket collectors making more than a lot of nurses, teachers, anyone who actually has to work at their jobs. Unbelievable.

Agreed. I'm just saying that the second $60 000 gets the TTC a lot less than the first.
Less, I'm not sure a lot less ... generally such costs are measured with 5 digits.

And if they weren't so short of operators, I'd could understand the criticism. I'm somewhat perplexed when people start going on about them being overpaid, and complaining about them having so much overtime, when it's quite clear that the supply of capable workers to do this doesn't meet the current requirements.

Less, I'm not sure a lot less ... generally such costs are measured with 5 digits.

And if they weren't so short of operators, I'd could understand the criticism. I'm somewhat perplexed when people start going on about them being overpaid, and complaining about them having so much overtime, when it's quite clear that the supply of capable workers to do this doesn't meet the current requirements.

My beef is with the ticket collector position, and don't try to tell me they can't find people capable of counting change for $60 000+ a year.

There's just something wrong with someone getting paid six figures to do that job, even with extra hours. The job is actually obsolete, and is kept on due to the demands of the ATU.

Last edited:
Why all the hate for working class ppl?

I would be happy to make $75k as a bus driver, in fact, i'm thinking of applying. Would I do the job for life? No, but for 2-3 years it would be fun and a change from what I'm doing now.

According to the last CBA, "Overtime shall be paid at one and one-half times the basic hourly rate for all accumulated work over eight actual working hours."

I don't really know what the "all in" premiums are for ATU personnel, but overtime results in a 50% increase in hourly wages over typical wages. So I doubt it is cheaper.

Back