News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

It does look better. As far short as the Manulife re-work fell, that SE corner looks better too. It felt uninviting/windswept before.

20200721_081949.jpg

I understand the need to refurbish older buildings, but why is it when they reclad it always has to be an unforgiving shroud of glass covering the whole structure? Seriously, can anyone explain why it's always glass? Is it financial, or do the powers that be actually prefer this look over others?

I understand the need to refurbish older buildings, but why is it when they reclad it always has to be an unforgiving shroud of glass covering the whole structure? Seriously, can anyone explain why it's always glass? Is it financial, or do the powers that be actually prefer this look over others?
Partially financial, partially because 2010s-2020s 'clean and svelte' is easier to lease than 60s-70s 'character'.

Yeah...I'm not sure this building was really much better before.

Exactly. The before wasn't iconic by any means. They did a great job redoing the facade at the TD building across the intersection. Keeping its design and replacing the precast and glass blocks.
They also get some credit for using what "appears" to be expensive glass at 60 Bloor. It's a nice looking glass box.

We're very lucky it didn't turn out like the 401 Bay, (Simpson/HudsonBay). Now lets hope the Gap isn't replaced by a dud branch of a bank.

Exactly. The before wasn't iconic by any means. They did a great job redoing the facade at the TD building across the intersection. Keeping its design and replacing the precast and glass blocks.
They also get some credit for using what "appears" to be expensive glass at 60 Bloor. It's a nice looking glass box.

We're very lucky it didn't turn out like the 401 Bay, (Simpson/HudsonBay). Now lets hope the Gap isn't replaced by a dud branch of a bank.
...I would even admit they did a better job than was done with 401. And unlike 401, this building was begging to be improved upon (or replaced even). However, I'll also agree this wasn't a jaw dropping reclad by any stretches of the imagination. It was merely a better application of lipstick on a pig instead.

Back