News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

650d13.jpg

I'll take some and mirror "brick" on a heritage building over another mindless glass box any day! This thing seems to be turning out alright. My concern for this area is more contextual. I hate how Bay St abruptly changes from very modern mid-rise to these clusters of heritage row houses... I would have liked to see some kind of a transition between the two, but the Bay/Dundas intersection is such a hodge podge that I dont think there is an easy fix at this point.
Now that the blocks north and south of this boutique hotel are being developed, I wonder how long this block will last in its current form?

Are those reflections coming off of the new Sick Kids building? Funny that a new tower can make an intersection brighter than it was before. Usually it;s the opposite problem/

meh, you guys should see it in person, in pictures it looks OK as can be seen above but close up it looks pretty shitty ...

I don't think there's an existing thread for this project. This building is at the corner of Bay & Elm and is supposed to be a boutique hotel. Work seems to be moving along slowly. They were hydro blasting the lower level last week.

650bayn27a.jpg

For Quick Reference​

Like i mentioned earlier, it looks ok from a distance, but when you look at some of the photos with
closer perspective, as when you would be walking past the building, it looks quite bad. Likely about
as good as it can when you hand paint bricks, but it looks amateurish and cheap.
Fire away.

Looks like a movie set - all you need are some pink and green neon lights running the building's length along the grey cladding and you have the perfect 80's strip club.

Like i mentioned earlier, it looks ok from a distance, but when you look at some of the photos with
closer perspective, as when you would be walking past the building, it looks quite bad. Likely about
as good as it can when you hand paint bricks, but it looks amateurish and cheap.
Fire away.

a case of looks good from afar, but far from good.

Just reading this thread for the first time, especially the first couple pages. It's amazing that in this day and age we still have so many people whose first reaction to a building like this is "tear it down!" I would think that we've learned by now that even when to the untrained eye a building looks like it's crumbling, and even when it genuinely is, it can usually be saved and restored. Just because the brick was in bad shape that doesn't mean the stucture itself isn't sound or can't be repaired.

Now this reno looks like a bit of a hack job, but it's better than demolition.

Back