News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

For some time the recently restored hotel/hostel S/W corner has been closed for 'mechanical reasons'. Given its location, is it possible its part of a larger piece of land being assembled around the Bus Station?

Anybody know anything about this? 650 Bay Street.

http://www.lalucanada.com/projects.html

home-650bay.jpg

Attachments

• home-650bay.jpg
    home-650bay.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 1,471
I would imagine it's more of a feasibility study for when the time to redevelop comes- I wonder how the hotel's doing so far.

That being said, it'll be a shame to lose the fine-grained rowhouses to the west along Elm Street.

I would imagine it's more of a feasibility study for when the time to redevelop comes- I wonder how the hotel's doing so far.

That being said, it'll be a shame to lose the fine-grained rowhouses to the west along Elm Street.

Seriously, one of the last remnants of the Ward. That should be a total non-starter.

What?, most of them are hacked with storefronts some with siding, etc, they are far from being pretty, no love loss

"These are looking a bit hacked" is a terrible argument for clearing historic vernacular buildings for any old replacement.

Surely you're familiar with the likes of ERA -- who deftly return hacked storefronts to their former glory -- so the "pretty" argument doesn't hold much water. Nevermind that varied facades clearly make for a more pedestrian-friendly streetscape, that this strip of Elm has important significance as a former hub of arts and culture in Toronto, and that the aesthetic and touristic value of buildings in this iconic Toronto style will only increase as they get older and rarer.

Then again, maybe you really do believe that something like the view from across the street would be an improvement.

Seems that the extensive renovations to bring this flophouse back to life several years back were a failure. The retail units have been empty for a long time, and the funky boutique hotel also appears to have closed a while ago.

Oh and that joke of having the bricks painted instead of properly cleaned? It's peeling like crazy and looks awful. What a stupid Band-Aid solution. Anyone with common sense would have known that would never last.

The demo permit should absolutely be refused outright.

It's weird, they still do have a small web presence but they haven't used their Instagram or Twitter since December 2017. TripAdvisor reviews also drop off in...December 2017.

All the windows are now boarded up, as well as two of the houses immediately to the west. I hope we don't see yet another loss of heritage here.

Back