News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It seems to be working for me now but I need to ensure I log in at the start of every session or it shows some read and some unread. I'm not sure how it determines what threads an unknown user which has not logged in has read.

It seems to be working for me now but I need to ensure I log in at the start of every session or it shows some read and some unread. I'm not sure how it determines what threads an unknown user which has not logged in has read.

cookies?

bblastvisit
urbantoronto.ca/
bblastactivity
urbantoronto.ca/

Well, I've tried it out for a few days and everything seems to be working great! I'm curious, technically what was it you changed?

I can't remember exactly but it was some function that remembers what posts members have seen. I can give you a specific answer if you like.

How about a thread for quick questions and updates to be used when you have a question that either doesn't fit in an existing thread or where it might not be worth resurrecting a 2 year old thread to get a "no update" response.

I often want to throw out "Hey, are there any updates on the status of Cooke's Church?" or "Is the conversion of lanes on Lakeshore to pedestrian only still going to happen this year?" or "Who was the architect on Scotia Plaza?" but don't because it would mean digging through pages and pages of threads to see if there is one that might be appropriate and then bringing it back to life.

Each section could have their own quesion thread. So transportation questions are segragated from new project questions.

Questions with one post answers. If the question generates too much discussion, a new thread could be created or the original thread brought back from the dead.

We could title them all "Ask Urban Toronto..."

I've found that there are a lot of people on UT who are very knowledgable and very happy to answer these types of questions - in fact, I could see members vying to answer the most questions. Post a question about streetcar routes in the 1950's and I bet you'd have at least 5 members competing to come up with the best answer.

Just throwing it out there.

I'd rather see those questions added to the existing threads.

Canuck has recently started a thread in the Projects & Construction section called Development Index from where you can find any thread alphabetically. (You can always click on the word 'Thread' at the top of each threads list to have them all sorted alphabetically anyway, instead of by most recent comment.

If you can't find a thread for a particular subject, go ahead and start one. If a moderator knows a better place for that thread, it'll get moved there, and a temporary link will be left to show you where it has been relocated. No fuss, no muss.

There's always the search function too...

If you can't find a thread for a particular subject, go ahead and start one. If a moderator knows a better place for that thread, it'll get moved there, and a temporary link will be left to show you where it has been relocated. No fuss, no muss.

Great advice. Some of the best threads have started as "Does anyone here know anything about?" Sometimes projects are known to fly under the radar here.

Us mods don't bite. At least not often. We'll happily redirect wayward threads with courtesy and a smile.

Back