News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

There is a Federal election coming up and as is also known the Conservatives are probably not as enthusiastic about transit funding.

IDK, maybe Calgary will get lucky but this transit funding issue seems to have been dragging on for around 10 years with nothing being built yet which doesn't seem so lucky to me.

There is a Federal election coming up and as is also known the Conservatives are probably not as enthusiastic about transit funding.

IDK, maybe Calgary will get lucky but this transit funding issue seems to have been dragging on for around 10 years with nothing being built yet which doesn't seem so lucky to me.

The UCP is not going to go into the 2027 provincial election against Nenshi without a green line project in Calgary under construction - even if they have to pay for it themselves (meaning all Alberta taxpayers, like we do Deerfoot Trail).

I agree with Braid.

Last edited:
I don't doubt it makes political sense to do it, yet somehow it hasn't happened after about a decade. I'm not sure in the end if there will be much credit for something that was dragged out for years and years mainly because of the province, which contributed to the escalating costs and scaling back, even if it actually does get done in time for the next election. But I also wouldn't underestimate the UCP's ability to continue to mess things up. After all this, the City of Calgary would be smart to wash their hands of it and say to the province just do what you want here which would at least save them and their municipal taxpayers further grief.

Some other provinces don't have municipal funding involved, just Federal and Provincial so it is not unheard of and perhaps there are good arguments for that approach, but it doesn't always work smoothly either.

We should keep that Deerfoot agreement in mind for future reference. Highway 2 which is a major Alberta route does also go through Edmonton, would be nice if the province helped cover some of the costs.

Back