News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

If an election was held today, who would you vote for?

• UCP

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • NDP

Votes: 42 77.8%
  • Liberal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alberta Party

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 5.6%

• Total voters
This is exactly a 'no filter for crazy'. She appears to hears a few random opponents of the current project say a different project will be cheaper, and fewer people will hate it, plus it can be used for irrigation storage. And instead of thinking for a second, she appears to conclude "whats not to love".
In fairness, I don't think she is suggesting that we stop construction on a project already underway.

More seriously, I still don't understand: who is the constituency that is not currently being served by either the UCP or NDP? I just don't see the point of the Alberta Party. Has there every been a centrist 3rd party that has been competitive? All 3rd parties emerge from political movements on the outside of the mainstream (Greens, Reform, NDP, Wildrose, etc.). "Centrism" is not an ideology. It is a strategic position available only to establishment parties that have viable paths to form government.
I'd argue that the majority of Albertans are currently under-served by the options available. Both the UCP and NDP attract extremist nutjobs from the fringes of the political spectrum.

Most of us just want a fiscally conservative, socially liberal, and economically literate government that is actually competent in running the province on a day-to-day basis.

In fairness, I don't think she is suggesting that we stop construction on a project already underway.
Yeah, that is the Premier's office killing a bad idea from the Premier, and Nenshi being generous, in the Cuban missile crisis type of way—respond to the most positive interpretation available, and hopefully they act like that is what they meant all along.

I'd argue that the majority of Albertans are currently under-served by the options available. Both the UCP and NDP attract extremist nutjobs from the fringes of the political spectrum.

Most of us just want a fiscally conservative, socially liberal, and economically literate government that is actually competent in running the province on a day-to-day basis.
Hear Hear!
What you are suggesting is that we need a competent and functioning Liberal party in Alberta. Not like the current federal Liberal party which I am no fan of. However, I would settle for a Liberal party that governed like Paul Martin's did in the early 2000's. Fiscally responsible and not a menace to oil & gas.

Last edited:

I'd be curious to know who the "extremist nutjobs" are that are attracted to the NDP and whether you think they influence the NDP's governing strategies.

Hear Hear!
What you are suggesting is that we need a competent and functioning Liberal party in Alberta. Not like the current federal Liberal party which I am no fan of. However, I would settle for a Liberal party that governed like Paul Martin's did in the early 2000's. Fiscally responsible and not a menace to oil & gas.
Every "political compass" style survey I've ever seen, which places people into four quadrants (economic left and right, cultural left and right), always shows that the fewest voters fall into the "economically conservative, socially liberal" quandrant. Most people who want smaller government are also self-consciously "anti-woke". Most people who are socially progressive also get very uncomfortable with service cuts. And there are still way more people who are socially conservative and economically liberal than vice-versa.

I think when people say "I'm socially progressive and fiscally conservative", they're really just small-c conservative. That is, they want a mainstream, establishment-oriented party. Any party with a realistic shot at governing will try to present themselves as the "safe, responsible choice". Unless you're Danielle Smith, I guess. But the point is that this is not an ideology. It's a campaign/governing strategy that is not available to upstart 3rd parties, which almost always win support by aligning themselves with some insurgent political movement on the left or right. The Alberta Party would stand a better chance if it moved to the left of the NDP.

I'd be curious to know who the "extremist nutjobs" are that are attracted to the NDP and whether you think they influence the NDP's governing strategies.
Exactly what I was wondering. As I can certainly agree about the UCP as is evidenced by everything they do and say every single day. The NDP may get the SJW-type people, but those aren’t extremists. The two aren’t comparable.

Hear Hear!
+1 to this

Yeah .... there is going to be a steady diet of this for the next while. She has left a trail of commenting and opinionating on various theories or subjects whether it be COVID treatment and vaccinations, Trump's presidency or the Russia/Ukraine conflict. I remember hearing on her radio show that she frequented the Parler app because Twitter was not allowing people like her to express their opinions or share 'alternative facts'.

Yeah .... there is going to be a steady diet of this for the next while. She has left a trail of commenting and opinionating on various theories or subjects whether it be COVID treatment and vaccinations, Trump's presidency or the Russia/Ukraine conflict. I remember hearing on her radio show that she frequented the Parler app because Twitter was not allowing people like her to express their opinions or share 'alternative facts'.
It certainly looks that way. It's as if she thinks she's still speaking to her radio talk show audience, where she could basically say whatever wanted.

Odds Danielle Smith beats Liz Truss' time out the door?
Unfortunately, she'll last longer by simply not being in the legislature. Her test will come IF she's elected to represent Brooks-Medicine Hat in the byelection and sits in the legislature. Personally I'm hoping for a upset from either the former Mayor of Brooks and current Alberta Party leader or from the NDP candidate. But when she's in the legislature and MLAs vote on her first proposal we'll be able to see who actually stands with or against her. But the thing is if enough UCP MLAs break ranks they're essentially writing their own death sentence because how do you then go into an election divided and win? You don't. So... How interested are UCP MLAs interested in self preservation versus the best interests of the province?

Back