News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

If an election was held today, who would you vote for?

• UCP

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • NDP

Votes: 42 77.8%
  • Liberal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alberta Party

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 5.6%

• Total voters
Once again past comments Smith has made is coming back to haunt her. I mean seriously, comparing this who got vaccinated to those who followed the Nazis. Like WTF??

The NDP just announced a commitment to fund the north leg of the Green Line up to 160 Ave N and a North Calgary/Airdrie Health Centre as part of their electoral promise

They committed to “an investment to begin land acquisition for the north leg of the project” - that’s not the same thing as funding the Green Line to 160 Ave N. “Beginning land acquisition” could be $5 million - building it could be $5 billion.

Having said that, for sure they will commit more $$$ to Green Line than the UCP.

This seems to be the talk on social media today. What was a dead heat, has suddenly changed just two weeks before the election. It appears many of the undecided are now decided.
Slide3-3-1024x576.jpg

Source https://abacusdata.ca/alberta-politics-ndp-take-lead/

This seems to be the talk on social media today. What was a dead heat, has suddenly changed just two weeks before the election. It appears many of the undecided are now decided.
Slide3-3-1024x576.jpg

Source https://abacusdata.ca/alberta-politics-ndp-take-lead/
Just catching up to where Janet Brown was. I have my doubts that anything has moved or if it is just easier to measure with cheaper methods as people pay more attention.

:eek::D:D

Basically the best case scenario I could have hoped for. Cautiously optimistic. Was looking kinda bleak for a minute. The latest update on 338 (May 10) has the UCP with a four point lead.

Just catching up to where Janet Brown was. I have my doubts that anything has moved or if it is just easier to measure with cheaper methods as people pay more attention.
I missed the most recent Janet Brown poll numbers, I thought her numbers were showing it pretty close.

That Abacus poll is a bit of an outlier compared to some of the other recent ones that show a UCP lead https://338canada.com/alberta/polls.htm

It really seems like most people have tuned out this election, there is zero buzz around it - I haven't heard anyone talking about it in a social setting. It's actually quite refreshing as politics has become such a fool's preoccupation, especially in Alberta.

That Abacus poll is a bit of an outlier compared to some of the other recent ones that show a UCP lead https://338canada.com/alberta/polls.htm

It really seems like most people have tuned out this election, there is zero buzz around it - I haven't heard anyone talking about it in a social setting. It's actually quite refreshing as politics has become such a fool's preoccupation, especially in Alberta.
It's always tough to tell with polls. The problem is one needs to analyze each poll separately, as they are all different., and as far as this election goes, what matters most is the numbers in a half dozen Calgary ridings. Most other ridings are fairly solidly decided. If you take Mainstreet out of the polling on 388 the polls look quite a bit different, it looks a lot like a close race. It shows Mainstreet as having an A- rating, but I still don't trust anything from them.

I wanted to add a comment relating to the buzz of the election. I agree that in some ways there is less buzz about it. I have seen very little mention of the election from friends and family, and zero mention of it at work, but I also think there is more buzz then ever with this election, it's just hat it's become the norm to discuss politics on social media and not with friends or coworkers in a social setting. Especially a polarizing election like this, it's even less likely for people to discuss it in a social setting. Social media on the other hand has exploded heavily on the election.
This is the most important provincial election in my lifetime, especially if the NDP wins. If they win it completely changes the political landscape of Alberta going forward. If the UCP wins the political landscape is still changing for Alberta and there will be some interesting times ahead. The old days when nobody cared because they knew the Conservatives would win, are gone.

Last edited:

That shouldn't be surprising. A campaign centered on candidates' allegedly unacceptable views as expressed through previous talk show, podcast and social media statements couldn't be more vapid.

That shouldn't be surprising. A campaign centered on candidates' allegedly unacceptable views as expressed through previous talk show, podcast and social media statements couldn't be more vapid.
Vapid? You seriously don't think it matters that Smith spent her career advocating for privatized healthcare and now that she's finally in power and has to win re-election she just happened to change her mind? You don't think it matters that she advocated against all public health measures to suppress the spread of COVID19 even when the ICUs were overwhelmed and AHS was cancelling pediatric surgeries so that they could move staff to support unvaccinated seniors on ventilators? I wonder how many bodies she'd have allowed to pile up in the streets before she finally (like Kenney) crawled back to the podium to announce lockdowns and vaccine mandates.

If Smith wins, it sends a clear signal that the UCP can move as far to the extreme right as it needs to keep the most deranged members of its base in the fold and Albertans will continue to fall in line. But, hey, gotta stick it to those public sector unions, right? The most important thing is to put those uppity teachers and nurses in their place.

You don't think a leader's character and ideological position matters when determining who to give political power to?

E: don't, not dong

Last edited:
You dong think a leader's character and ideological position matters when determining who to give political power to?
Nope. Character is manufactured. Both leaders suck because of what they have done. Smith demonstrated poor judgement with the 2014 floor crossing and pointless Soverienty Act. Notley increased public sector headcount during a recession, raise corporate income taxes, imposed more restrictive labor legislation, incurred $2B on PPAs handed back to the Balancing Pool and another $2B on rail for oil contracts. Political leadership in general was been awful.since the rise of social media.

One of those parties also bet $1.5 billion on a pipeline into the US, banking on some factors that were out of their control.
That was a calculated risk with defined downside and plenty of upside. The PPA fiasco was pure incompetence.

Back