8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

spider

Member Bio
Reaction score
Messages on this and other boards can sometimes get pretty goofy because the persons posting them are protected by the shield of anonymity afforded by a pseudonym.

Who would you like to meet, or avoid, face to face at a gathering without exchanging actual names?

Would the discourse on this board be more measured and thoughtful if members were required to sign their real names?

It's an interesting question. On twitter I'm anonymous as well. The only real negative is when it comes to networking--say someone offers me a job via twitter--I feel awkward about giving out my personal details. Some ppl know who I am, so after a while it's like I never met them. I may be into social media, but it doesn't mean I'm social.:)

This board would likely be a bore if we all used our real names. And how would you know they're our real names? The only alternative would be a facebook for real estate.

Last edited:
I think anonymity allows insiders and SME to give opinions they otherwise wouldn't. It's a great thing. Someone will always be around to abuse that privilege, but life is too short to be upset about them.

I wouldn't be comfortable posting information about my own neighbourhood, or what I think of other neighbourhoods, using my real name.

I work in an industry where, before any job interview (and most client meetings), I will be googled. That's a problem, and the internet does not forget.

Last edited:
I think this forum would be a lot friendlier if it were not anonymous. I've been saying that for years now though.

spider:

What an interesting coincidence that this was raised by a certain Tory MP...
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...out-anonymous-online-comments/article4683094/

And sorry, using one's real name is hardly a foil to people saying stupid things - as if people don't do it IRL. In any case, online forums aren't as anonymous as most people think that it is. Besides, if you feel so strongly about it, why shouldn't the proponent of such an idea be the first to use their real name? Even if it is just a first name, like some of us do?

AoD

Last edited:
spider:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...out-anonymous-online-comments/article4683094/

And sorry, using one's real name is hardly a foil to people saying stupid things - as if people don't do it IRL. In any case, online forums aren't as anonymous as most people think that it is. Besides, if you feel so strong about it, why shouldn't the proponent of such an idea be the first to use their real name? Even if it is just a first name, like some of us do?

AoD

It certainly does help in the way people are towards each other on a forum though. People aren't nearly as likely to say something about someone when it's publicly viewable and linked to your name.

khristopher:

Even if we posit for a moment that it is desirable - just how would the forum confirm one's identity? I can't think of any good mechanism for doing that - and besides even if there are, keeping that kind of linked information around is a huge privacy issue. Would you necessarily want your personal identity floating around online in places that are less than ironclad secure? And what of liability issues to the forum?

AoD

Last edited:
I am not so sure that my questions were a coincidence, interesting or otherwise, since I don't read the G&M and the thought offered is hardly original.
Some members have responded thoughtfully with their opinions on the matter in a non-confrontational tone for which I thank them.
I thought "Who would you like to meet, or avoid, face to face at a gathering without exchanging actual names?" was a much more interesting question.

spider:

And sorry, using one's real name is hardly a foil to people saying stupid things - as if people don't do it IRL. In any case, online forums aren't as anonymous as most people think that it is. Besides, if you feel so strongly about it, why shouldn't the proponent of such an idea be the first to use their real name? Even if it is just a first name, like some of us do?

AoD

spider:

"Who would you like to meet, or avoid, face to face at a gathering without exchanging actual names?"

Actually, posing this very question is an invitation to discussing the quality/worth of individual forum members - which is verboten for obvious reasons - particularly when it is made in the first post with clear intent for it to be discussed. It's rather ironic it's raised in a thread about civility.

AoD

Last edited:
It's impossible to have people using their real names without checking IDs. You can use a pseudonym that sounds like a real name and even create a Facebook account for the purpose. The more serious issue here is that you can be a civil person and post respectful and reasonable comments, but your potential employer looking you up might take issue with your opinions and not interview you. Who wants that trouble, especially if you've made thousands of comments? This forum is a written record available to anyone with a computer; it's not like the conversation you might have in a bar.

khristopher:

Even if we posit for a moment that it is desirable - just how would the forum confirm one's identity? I can't think of any good mechanism for doing that - and besides even if there are, keeping that kind of linked information around is a huge privacy issue. Would you necessarily want your personal identity floating around online in places that are less than ironclad secure? And what of liability issues to the forum?

AoD

Many forums and blogs now require you log in with your Facebook credentials.

Many forums and blogs now require you log in with your Facebook credentials.
Yes, and you can create a Facebook account under any name you want. I have several friends who have FB names that are made up because they don't want people searching for and creeping their profiles. For example, one works as a Customs officer and wants to enjoy FB but keep her name offline. Of course these are folks who connect only with their real friends, and thus are not interested in being searched for by obsolete acquaintances from their pasts

Yes, and you can create a Facebook account under any name you want. I have several friends who have FB names that are made up because they don't want people searching for and creeping their profiles. For example, one works as a Customs officer and wants to enjoy FB but keep her name offline. Of course these are folks who connect only with their real friends, and thus are not interested in being searched for by obsolete acquaintances from their pasts

You're not allowed to do that actually, and people are getting their accounts shut down for having fake names and duplicate profiles every day. It's against their terms of service.

You're not allowed to do that actually, and people are getting their accounts shut down for having fake names and duplicate profiles every day. It's against their terms of service.

I have a couple of FB accounts - both with fake names - and none with my real name. Ditto Twitter accounts. It's impossible for FB to know if a name is real or fake. If I did get shut down I would just create another fake account.

I am always amazed the degree to which people put all of their personal information online for the world to see. There are so many ways this can be used against you.

Back