News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

My old computer running Windows XP died a few months ago. I had hoped to be able to fix it as I wasnt sure if I wanted to buy a new system with Vista on it. But I had been experiencing deteriorating performance on my old system and it wasnt really fixable anyway. Luckily I have all my photos and music on an external drive. I bought a new HP a6700F, AMD 1.8GHz Quadcore processor, 4 Gb RAM running Vista for only $800 at Staples. So far I have been very pleasantly surprised. The new system is so much faster and Vista doesnt crash or hang up even 10% as much as XP used to. Maybe I am just lucky in regards to the software I am running (I dont do gaming at all). And I havent had any problems installing old software either.

I have only had limited exposure to Mac but I find that I dont like some of the functionality (I find that there are easier more instinctual ways to do things in Windows). In the end as others have said the two systems are very similar and a lot of the hype and extra cost for Mac is all about branding and lifestyle rather than sophistication or power.

Yeah, with similar hardware, Macs are simply more expensive than PCs. And the hardware is not customizable either, if I am not mistaken.

I prefer to build my own PC, because I've had a lot of bad experience with the prebuilt ones from big box stores, and they were very expensive too. Perhaps they are better now, but I am still wary.

My comp was built myself, with parts that I selected, and cost around $800, before tax, plus around $60 worth of mail-in rebates. Here are the specs:

- Cooler Master Storm ATX case (looks really cool and has 3 huge fans too)
- Phenom X4 945 3.0 GHz quad-core
- Gigabyte motherboard, AM3 socket, 2 PCI-E slots (easier to upgrade processor/video if needed)
- Patriot 6 GB RAM 1333 MHz (only installed 4 GB)
- 512MB Sapphire ATI 4670 video card
- 650W Corsair power supply (maybe overkill, but surprisingly very quiet and cool)

I did not have to buy monitor, hard drive, speakers, or Vista, so those costs are not included.

Building your own is the way to go, and the only way to ensure no corners are cut with parts. Big box PCs usually come with crappy video cards or charge more than they should for them.

I built my PC about a year ago, and it is still very fast. I like the fact that i can replace the innards of my machine every 3 years for about 800 bucks and keep it current. I got the Corsair 750TX just to be safe when I go Crossfire :)

I think for the average user, the intimidation and hassle involved in buying and assembling a computer outweighs the $100 or so you might save. Additionally, I'm not completely convinced that you always save money. I bought a machine from a specialty maker, and what they were charging for components was less than any price I could find them for individually, never mind individual shipping costs, etc.

I think for the average user, the intimidation and hassle involved in buying and assembling a computer outweighs the $100 or so you might save. Additionally, I'm not completely convinced that you always save money. I bought a machine from a specialty maker, and what they were charging for components was less than any price I could find them for individually, never mind individual shipping costs, etc.

I kind of agree. Ever since the days of my first celeron 333a I've been building my own machines, but if I were to get another desktop I don't think that'd be the best option for me right now. You can get a very competent desktop for well under $500. I can do any upgrading myself, but as I'm not a gamer my primary concerns would be a large hard drive and HD output (and 5.1 digital sound output) - not hard to find for under $500 pre-built and much less of a hassle. I now have a 24" widescreen LCD in Korea and a 22" waiting for me back in Toronto and a few 500GB hard drives kicking around, so all I'd really need is the box.

It is funny, that it was not more than 2.5 years ago that I bought my first mac (although I had a portable given to me by a client for around a year a decade ago) - now I have 4 [Mac Pro 2008 - 10gb memory - 4TB drive - quad 24 inch monitor; macbook pro 2007, 2 mac mini's 2009 ediiton, and one Linux box]. Up until that point, all of the computers I bought were self-assembled.

This years "projects" have seen me add two new computers to my den - two mac-mini 2009 models. I bought them for very specific tasks, but they are amazing little computers. I bought both of them from the Apple website - refurb section - the most minimal configuration. 2.0Ghz dual-core (newer chip - slightly faster than the 2.13Ghz chip in the HP at work), 1Gb of memory, and 120Gb drive.

Basically, I got each of the mac mini's for around $619 or $629 (can't remember exact price), opened them up with a putty knife, upgraded the memory to 4GB ($70USD), upgraded the HD to 500GBx7200RPM ($140), so the final computer price was between $850 to $900 (which included the operating system). Size of the computer is 6.5 x 6.5 x 2 inches (about the size of an external DVD drive). The computer can handle dual monitors. A co-worker spent more than that putting together his nice custom Myth entertainment system (with a nice case). I use one as my "server" (the bigger computer is my main machine), and one I take into work at my client site.

I have a co-worker that bought a macbook pro 13" - 2 weeks ago (I was very surprised since he often said it was too much more costly) - but after his failed last purchase of a dell laptop (that had vista which he hated) - which was a waste in his opinion, and his co-worker who went with an ASUS computer at about the same time - and ended up ditching as well - now they have both converted over to the macbooks and in their opinion now - the extra cost was worth it not to have to deal with inferior built machines running Vista which both of them came to despise. So I guess cost is relative to what you get out of what you purchase....

On a side note, I do believe that Windows 7 will be an improvement - but I would not go back.

Eesh, where was this thread at when I had my dilemna with MDG last week, lol! I'm still on the hunt for a new laptop and have upto $1500 to play with. Any advice y'all can give me? I was looking at the Toshiba Qosmio in Best Buy on Thursday but it was heidously big (18.4"). On Toshiba's website a trendier 16.4" model, the L50 01U, has all the features I seek (NVadia graphics, 12-cell lith-ion battery, tv tuner, biometric security software, etc.). However I can't seem to find it in the big-box stores here. On HP's manufacturer website I also found the HX 16-1353 CA Entertianment Notebook for $1199 but once again the big-box stores only carried inferior models to that one.

I really need some direction towards what are the best quality laptops out there technical and functional wise for CAD $1500 and under. A Top 5 list from any experts amongst yourselves would be much appreciated.

On HP's manufacturer website I also found the HX 16-1353 CA Entertianment Notebook for $1199 but once again the big-box stores only carried inferior models to that one.

Call or e-mail them and they should be able to direct you to a retailer who will sell it. At the very least many smaller outfits will be able to order it for you with a deposit of course. I've had to do that a few times for electronics. Sure FutureBuy or whatever you want to call it has a great, nearly hassle free return policy which is a great piece of mind, but if they don't carry what you want then you should look elsewhere and support the small businesses out there. I'm sure a walk along college will be able to land you what you're looking for.

I kind of agree. Ever since the days of my first celeron 333a I've been building my own machines, but if I were to get another desktop I don't think that'd be the best option for me right now. You can get a very competent desktop for well under $500. I can do any upgrading myself, but as I'm not a gamer my primary concerns would be a large hard drive and HD output (and 5.1 digital sound output) - not hard to find for under $500 pre-built and much less of a hassle. I now have a 24" widescreen LCD in Korea and a 22" waiting for me back in Toronto and a few 500GB hard drives kicking around, so all I'd really need is the box.

I agree as well. You can save money putting a system together, but it's often worth it to pay a little extra and get a warranty on the system.

That may happen with my next system...as long as I can pick all the parts I don't mind paying a little bit extra for warranty protection.

Eesh, where was this thread at when I had my dilemna with MDG last week, lol! I'm still on the hunt for a new laptop and have upto $1500 to play with. Any advice y'all can give me? I was looking at the Toshiba Qosmio in Best Buy on Thursday but it was heidously big (18.4"). On Toshiba's website a trendier 16.4" model, the L50 01U, has all the features I seek (NVadia graphics, 12-cell lith-ion battery, tv tuner, biometric security software, etc.). However I can't seem to find it in the big-box stores here. On HP's manufacturer website I also found the HX 16-1353 CA Entertianment Notebook for $1199 but once again the big-box stores only carried inferior models to that one.

I really need some direction towards what are the best quality laptops out there technical and functional wise for CAD $1500 and under. A Top 5 list from any experts amongst yourselves would be much appreciated.

Have you considered a Vaio FW?

...and they use a 32 bit OS which can't address more then 4GB anyway.

Not quite correct, if I remember my intel assembly code - you cannot address more than 4GB page at one time (using one register set). Windows (32 bit) is capable - but artificially limited. 32 bit leopard was able to address more than that - I have 10GB in my machine - all of it was used by Oracle.

Apple holds 10% of the pc market. That means anyone developing for OSX is developing for 10% of the market. That's good business right there. You are the one with no clue. Anyone with a good business product is going to release for PC first. Period.

That really depends, the windows market is more crowded - and harder to break into it - so a larger market does not always equal a similar target size ratio.

Again ... false. The newest versions of OSX will not install on a Powerbook G4 or lower. A powerbook G4 is about 5 years old. Windows XP however will install on any PC that's been made in the last 10 years.

Snow Leopard has to be treated as more of a developer release, which updates a bunch of APIs that can be used in the future. It tweaks the performance (but only on newer hardware anyways), it has a few UI changes - but not BIG for end-users - and thus was priced that way. If you have an older computer - Leopard for that platform is not that much different - there would be no reason to upgrade it anyways.

One thing I find about my work OSX install is that sometimes if I leave it on over the weekend it freezes in sleep mode and the login prompt won't come up. I really should be shutting it down at the end of the week anyhow.

Vista is not as good as XP in a user experience sense. I have this on all my computers at home and I'm just waiting for Windows 7 to come out.

If Ubuntu or a similar system supported all media applications properly I'd probably switch to that. I've always enjoyed the uniqueness of Linux.

Another thing Apple did with their newest release of OSX is Adobe CS3 does not work with it. You have to upgrade to CS4. The extra cost will have most media companies balk at upgrading since CS4 has not been seen as a necessary upgrade. Especially in this financial climate.

Another thing Apple did with their newest release of OSX is Adobe CS3 does not work with it. You have to upgrade to CS4. The extra cost will have most media companies balk at upgrading since CS4 has not been seen as a necessary upgrade. Especially in this financial climate.

This was a rumour that turned out to be false - I'm running Photoshop CS3 with Snow Leopard right now.

Damaging rumour, though - I know lots of people who believe this.

I think the advantage of building your own system is the knowledge of exactly what's in it. While it's not cheaper on a per parts basis, not having to buy a new case, keyboard, monitor etc. racks up the savings.

Back