News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Johnny, I can assure you 100% that there isn't a flagship Apple store in Canada at this time. Flagship Apple stores are very few. People often mistake what Apple calls "high profile" for Flagship. Not sure if Montreal is high profile. An example I have for you is Lincoln Park in Chicago is a high profile store while, Kurfürstendamm in Berlin is a flagship store.

Vatche, Apple belongs just as much in Yorkville as Burberry, Louis Vuitton, Tiffany etc. The Apple store has an incredible way of animating the street. Not to mention they do big business with such a limited range of products.

pw20 I agree, Apple could work with this space and make it unique. I can see their signature glass stairs with a mezzanine (Louvre, Barcelona) or going underground (Nanjing East). Or maybe they'll implement a new design.

I could see Pottery Barn/Williams Sonoma more on King St east mixed with EQ3, Bulthap, UpCountry, Roche Bobois etc.

I think Apple should occupy the space at Yonge and Bloor (Stollery's). We should leave bloor for more high-end retailers... we don't even have a Marc Jacobs store nor anything real fancy and exclusive like Céline.

Ad an alternative, given that One Bloor East is under construction, the Apple Store might occupy the first few floors there.

onetimetoomany, thank you for clarifying. The Wikipedia entry on Apple Store needs clarifications (fortunately, it can be edited).

While employees don't know much more about upcoming Apple retail locations than anybody else, I was lamenting to one manager at Yorkdale today that Apple's become a victim of their own success and it's now nearly impossible to get a Genius Appointment that's not a week away. Even to pay for a product, you have to hunt down somebody and everybody's always busy -- it's ridiculous. We talked about the Roots store which he knew nothing about but he believes that Apple is aggressively expanding in Toronto because they're hiring beyond the requirements of their existing stores.

We discussed the Eaton Centre location which he used to work at and he said there's been talk of finding a bigger space inside the Eaton Centre for some time. It's just way too small. I'm going to make a guess that Apple will be one of the tenants of the reconfigured SEARS space, probably with Yonge street frontage.

While employees don't know much more about upcoming Apple retail locations than anybody else, I was lamenting to one manager at Yorkdale today that Apple's become a victim of their own success and it's now nearly impossible to get a Genius Appointment that's not a week away. Even to pay for a product, you have to hunt down somebody and everybody's always busy -- it's ridiculous. We talked about the Roots store which he knew nothing about but he believes that Apple is aggressively expanding in Toronto because they're hiring beyond the requirements of their existing stores.

We discussed the Eaton Centre location which he used to work at and he said there's been talk of finding a bigger space inside the Eaton Centre for some time. It's just way too small. I'm going to make a guess that Apple will be one of the tenants of the reconfigured SEARS space, probably with Yonge street frontage.

With Roots downsizing everywhere, maybe they can take over the current Roots space.

With Roots downsizing everywhere, maybe they can take over the current Roots space.

That's a great location but with the complete reconfiguration of the Sears floorspace, Apple will probably want a piece of the pie because they can design their space from scratch, closer to Dundas Square. This wouldn't be the first time Apple moved to a larger store in an expanding mall. The Yorkdale expansion more than quadrupled Apple's floor space. Apple needs a similar expansion at Eaton Centre -- badly.

Apple is extremely popular in Toronto. The demand is very great, especially with how few (ad usually small) stores there are in the Greater Toronto Area. There is room to add in a Yorkville location, an expanded Eaton Centre location, and a Scarborough Town Centre location, and it would be possible to book Genius Bar appointments within 24 hours (even with more people using the Genius Bar).

Apple is extremely popular in Toronto. The demand is very great, especially with how few (ad usually small) stores there are in the Greater Toronto Area. There is room to add in a Yorkville location, an expanded Eaton Centre location, and a Scarborough Town Centre location, and it would be possible to book Genius Bar appointments within 24 hours (even with more people using the Genius Bar).

It used to be nearly always possible to book an appointment within a 3 hour period. In fact, Ron Johnson the original VP of Retail set that as a target for the Genius Bar. Now it can take up to a week. Imagine your iPhone breaks... you have to spend a week without a phone? That's not acceptable and Apple needs to seriously step up.

It's not just Toronto. I'm heading to the US and tried to book an appointment at a Genius Bar there -- same wait time. Ottawa, on the other hand, is only a day or two wait last time I checked.

It used to be nearly always possible to book an appointment within a 3 hour period. In fact, Ron Johnson the original VP of Retail set that as a target for the Genius Bar. Now it can take up to a week. Imagine your iPhone breaks... you have to spend a week without a phone? That's not acceptable and Apple needs to seriously step up.
Millions rely on their iPhones (I use an Android smartphone though). For them, if it breaks, often, it is tough luck.

There needs to be two more Apple stores (one in Yorkville (to serve U of T students as well) and one in Scarborough Town Centre (to serve UTSC students (and denizens of Scarborough, deprived of Apple Stores) as well) (and an upgraded Eaton Centre one (to serve Ryerson students as well)) (and perhaps one in Vaughan Metropolitan Centre (to serve both York U students and the city of Vaughan)) to maintain that target.

Apple is a victim of its own success.

Last edited:

Apple wouldn't be able to have Yonge Street frontage, as that level will be Nordstrom's.

Back