39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Daveography

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
@bennessb A controversial piece of art called the Talus Dome. It was commissioned under the city's requirement that all development projects must dedicate 1% of their construction budget to public art, including - in this case - a freeway widening and rehabilitation project (Whitemud Drive). So it's a big pile of steel balls sitting in the unusual context of being right next to a major freeway, which cost $600,000 of taxpayer money. It was completed in 2011 and people are still bitching about it, though, and one individual recently even went as far as to try vandalizing it with a sledgehammer (obviously not realizing that repairs also cost additional taxpayer money).

I am mostly ambivalent about this piece in particular; I understand the controversy, even though I do support public art.

All good art should be controversial, though, so I guess with that in mind it is a success. :)

The Holiday Light-Up downtown this weekend was great - drew a huge crowd, lots of families, weather was perfect, good range of food and entertainment choices (the burlesque troupe was a great touch). Was also nice that the City Market stayed open later to coincide, too. Well done!

Holiday Light-Up
by Dave Sutherland, on Flickr

Holiday Light-Up

Holiday Light-Up

Holiday Light-Up

Holiday Light-Up

Holiday Light-Up

Holiday Light-Up

Holiday Light-Up

Holiday Light-Up

Holiday Light-Up

Holiday Light-Up

Holiday Light-Up

Holiday Light-Up

Holiday Joy

Holiday Joy

Didn't bother with much editing on these. Also didn't bother shooting the tree or the fireworks, the people were much more interesting. Photos of those will undoubtedly show up elsewhere.

Love this pic, shows all the newly lit up buildings like the Coast and the Crowne's crown:

CYNHcAtWQAAq2rM.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/InstagramYEG

Back