News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

something is better than nothing I guess, lets get it built. still seems a shame to throw money away in cancellation fees etc at this late point. I also wonder about the long term effectiveness of building these east-west lines before building more capacity north-south. Basically you are just building more capacity to bring people to the already at capacity Yonge or Spadina line to get downtown. I would have liked to see a Don Mills line and a Weston Rd line. Hopefully after this plan is built, Eglinton will get extended to the airport...

I thought the mayor needed the authority of Council to change Transit City. Weren't some councillors elected on the basis they would support Transit City?

The plan is a waste of money and makes no sense.

Basic realities:
a) The number of people going from Scarborough Town Centre to Don Mills will never be more than the number going from Scarborough Town Centre to Kennedy so any plan that puts more capacity on the line that needs it less is a waste of money.
b) Going underground doesn't save time unless you are going under something that would have caused you to stop or slow down. On the golden mile the LRT was going to have its own lanes and stop at all the main intersections. All the other intersections were going to be removed. How can this be much faster? There is a belief that somehow the LRT planned in Transit City is the same as St.Clair or Spadina but those are slow because of all the stops and stoplights so close together, and slow due to single door boarding.
c) The value of LRT over subway is that it can run on the street as required. If the LRT is going to be completely grade separated then why make it LRT? It makes no sense. Station sizing is based on passenger volume so a design for a two car subway would have savings in station design over a four car subway, which would in turn have savings over a six car subway. I just don't see the benefit. Eglinton made sense as LRT when part of it was going to be on the surface. Now it doesn't.
d) Any project being built before the Yonge Line bottleneck is resolved is a waste of money. All the extra people you load onto the line further north displace just as many in the south because south of Eglinton on many days the Yonge line capacity has been met. In addition the existences of a single line to the central business district means there is no redundancy in that if the Yonge line is moving slow then the whole commute for most TTC riders is slow.

The map looks all well and good...until you realize it's a heavily distorted rendition. Look at a to-scale map of the subway system and you realize just how distant Sheppard is from Bloor.

I don't think any city has ever built subways through their suburbs without increasing their system's reach in the core. I can understand the 'build it and they will come' mantra, but there are clearly more pressing transit matters facing the city. I think Eglinton should remain as originally planned under TC (so that it can reach the airport). Sheppard's current HRT subway should be converted to LRT (to save money), and be allowed to continue at-grade as proposed under TC.

Extending Sheppard as a full-fledged underground HRT would be the costliest mistake this city will make. Especially considering that it will leave a gaping hole in any plans for a much-needed DRL.

Back