News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I think that building an LRT (streetcar) line underground is not the best long term strategy for Eglinton Crosstown. Why not spend some incremental dollars now and build a real subway which is a better transportation solution for now and for the future??

I think that building an LRT (streetcar) line underground is not the best long term strategy for Eglinton Crosstown. Why not spend some incremental dollars now and build a real subway which is a better transportation solution for now and for the future??

A 5-car light rail train would be roughly of the same length of a 6-car heavy rail train in Toronto. In addition, the light rail cars themselves will be longer and wider than a Montréal Metro car. The capacity for expansion will be there by adding more cars to the initial 2-car or 3-car train startup configuration.

Yes, but then the stations have to be built long enough to handle 5-unit LRTs, and that won't be happening.

In my opinion, we need to achieve two things for sure in the next 10 years.
1. a subway line connects the city and the airport.
2. another u-shaped subway line going through the downtown. (on Dundas or Queen St. for the best)

Last edited:
Yes, but then the stations have to be built long enough to handle 5-unit LRTs, and that won't be happening.

They will be roughed in to handle 5-unit LRV's, but finished for 2 or 3-unit trains, as per the completed EA for the underground portion.

I wonder if the track gauge for the LRT is the same as the track gauge for the subway?? Does anyone know? If it isn't then a later conversion to subway will probably never happen.

I wonder if the track gauge for the LRT is the same as the track gauge for the subway?? Does anyone know? If it isn't then a later conversion to subway will probably never happen.

Standard gauge, not TTC gauge, for the Eglinton-Scarborough Crosstown.

I hope the lRT's dont make the same noise as subways, I know it seems petty to talk about the screechign squeeling ear shattering noises the subway makes when what really matters is having transport at all. For those of you who have ridden the Montreal trains the lack of that terrible noise is wonderful, for myself and others the noise is bloody awful. An LRT should be much kinder on the ears, and maybe these construction crews will figure out the miracle of laying level track, I'm many of you have been on the TTC going along a perfectly straight portion of the subway line one thats underground and doesnt have heave from freeze and thaw and been wondering why the cars infront and behind of your own look like they are bouncing about, I know i have and my question is constantly why the bloody hell arent the tracks laid level.

Commuters are all we care about; the downtown core is densifying rapidly and no thought is given to transit within it. Streetcars competing with car traffic on Queen, King and Dundas are dreadfully slow and inadequate.

As long as they make the tunnels and stations big enough they could always tear up the too small track.

Back