News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

These aren't balconies, these are pirate planks. I can't recall when I last saw a building that looked this aggressive. I like it (from the outside).

Cool. I'm A bit concerned that they don't show the Sherbourne bike lane though. It's the only bike lane connecting queens Quay to the rest of the city.

I would say that, overall, it looks great from the air, but not quite so grand from the ground. Safdie has managed to create a very graceful, almost rhythmic, interplay between the alternating sets of balconies on the tower, and the base also has a delicate geometry to it with its inverted V and a potentially stunning atrium inside. The largely blank wall facing the lake is unfortunate as are the hulking columns lining the edge of the Commons. Assuming the balcony treatment can be retained through the development process--and the inevitable cheapening--this will be an impressive project and an asset to the waterfront. It's commendable that Safdie and the developers are actually attempting to create pleasurable architecture here, rather than settling for the dreary grey boxes we've become so accustomed to.

I really like the design but is it just me that feels like I need to have a eye patch to walk out on the balcony? rawr! :p
;)

The balconies look neat, but I wouldn't want one of those. No privacy. People can look down into yours, and you can violate somebody's privacy by peering into theirs. So, basically, the balconies look neat, but nobody's going to want to want one.

From the Waterfront Toronto CEO's report to their May 2011 meeting:

Great Gulf is in the process of finalizing their Site Plan application and has arranged a pre-submission meeting with the EBF Stakeholders and the local Councillor for next week. They intend to market their project out of the WT-owned building at 291 Lake Shore Boulevard East, which they have leased from WT for the expected life of the project, and have commenced construction on the sales centre. Although a firm date has not been set, it is expected that they will commence soft marketing over the summer and open the sales centre in the fall.

From end-June WT CEO's Repot:

With the reconfirmation of stakeholder support at a recent meeting hosted by Councillor McConnell, Great Gulf is in the process of putting the final touches on the Safdie-designed building and making their formal Site Plan submission. All indications lead to a marketing launch this fall.

Back