40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Not sure I would call this one "iconic." It is pretty much Spire or Murano with the bow and ribbons still on. Nor is it "audacious" to combine clean vertical and horizontal lines with what looks like random beams of forgotten construction scaffolding. It is a nice effort but the marketing folks have missed the mark, and so have the architects.

I like it, it hasnt been done yet in Toronto and there is no doubt that its eye catching. Looks really slim and sexy, somewhat reminds me of 1 Madison Park in NYC (impact-wise atleast)

My fear though is that since the main design elements are simply tacked on strips that its easy for them to be removed from the final product. I can just see the reasoning now: "it was determined that the white strips would detract too much from residents views and so was removed from the design"

I like it, it hasnt been done yet in Toronto and there is no doubt that its eye catching. Looks really slim and sexy, somewhat reminds me of 1 Madison Park in NYC (impact-wise atleast)

My fear though is that since the main design elements are simply tacked on strips that its easy for them to be removed from the final product. I can just see the reasoning now: "it was determined that the white strips would detract too much from residents views and so was removed from the design"

^ either that or they'll be made of some whitish/transparent glass material that will lessen their visual impact.

I have strong mixed feelings about this one, none of which have to do with size or location.

If the building turns out like the rendering.. then i'll be happy.. its a pretty cool looking building.. a lot of detail for a modern structure. if it were in any other city i think most of you guys would be drooling over it.

I know we're all afraid of the cheapening around here, but I think that's a bit too much worry. There's no way the builders can advertise the architecture so specifically, with both images and quotes, and then pull the stripes when it's actually built. They couldn't do it; everyone buying here would want them. The developers would quickly find out which purchasers were not de-clawed.

I think we already have sufficient open space on this block, so I am a little concerned about the gigantic setback. I'd like to see more of a continuous street wall here.

The podium, the trees, and the setback make this one special. I think the tower's success will be contingent on the handling of its criss-crosses. i hope they turn out to be bright white.

I'm with Redroom Studios.

I could easily see them removing these from the design for a lame reason.

c.f. FLY condos original balcony designs vs. what they actually ended up with.
c.f. Giraffe condos exterior in the first launch vs. what it looked like in the 2nd launch before finally being ki-boshed

I like the fact that there are no balconies on the west and east sides. Looks great!

A tight infill project like this and Clewes had the courage to set it well back from street. That alone is impressive. The rest of the building? WOW!

I like this a lot. Reminds me a bit of U Condos. I can see them cheaping out at some point during construction - which is so common these days - but not with the angled strips, which are the most striking part of the design.

I think we should all be a bit grateful for this setback, making more room for a patio and giving a more unobstructed view of the side of the front part of the Royal Alex. Very nice.

There is an office building in Tokyo that is all covered in ribbon stripes of varying shades of white -- frit patterns on clear glass. Visually it works just fine and probably doesn't get in the way of the views from inside too bad at all.

Back