News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

It looks very promising, but without the glass with the polygon motifs and the dose of accentuating blue, it would be fairly unremarkable. They have to take advantage of that Yonge street frontage for retail.

Love the rendering, but I agree they must do something with the Yonge street frontage or you'll just get the wall lined up with bums.

The Yonge Street frontage is horrible. To make matters worse, according to local councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam, the retail stores are buried in the basement. Instead, there will be an entrance & a set of stairs facing the Yonge Street side that will lead you downstairs.

i like the front entrance and lobby. if they can use Ryerson's blue and gold on each floor, that'll be nicer.
now the rending is too white.

This building looks...neat. I think it deserves to be somewhere further inside the campus, on some random corner where in 30 years people can walk by and say "this is what architects thought was cool back in the 2010's". A solid, coherent street wall, on the other hand, will never go out of fashion. Yonge Street is bigger and more important than Snøhetta or Ryerson.

Very bold statement. I like it except for the elevation on the Yonge side at grade level, at least a bit more animation/activity on the main street.

I think it's pretty damned cool.

I can partly understand why certain members are decrying the lack of retail on street level, but one mustn't forget that this is a student learning centre ... for students. Sure, you could argue that the urban setting begs the building to interact a bit more with its immediate surroundings by offering a smattering of shops right along Yonge, but what sort of marvels of the service industry would we really end up with? Probably a Starbucks, a Booster Juice, and a Thai Express.

All in all, I think it offers a great deal to the street just by being what it is. Its unique presence will probably help anchor some solid retail in the general vicinity for years to come, above and beyond what's already there.

Absolutely fantastic! As a UofT alumnus I cannot believe that I'm saying this but well done Ryerson! LOL ;)

I had grown up with the old Sam The Record Man neon lights at this intersection and was becoming quite nostalgic as the construction site sat empty but now I am excited about the new project. If the actual physical building will match this incredible virtual rendering, I don't think I'll miss those neon records as much. Now let's hope that something special will be proposed for the empty lot across the street to help us forget that we lost an important heritage building earlier this year (the Victorian-era 'Empress Hotel').

So they're not going with the big molar? Oh well ;)

But seriously these renders are great! Really nice to see an actual decorative motif worked into the skin... buildings that embrace ornament are few and far between these days. Now imagine if the ROM ended up with something closer to this... a lot more "crystal" then the aluminum siding they went with.

I do agree it'll be nice NOT to have some retail signs messing things up along this stretch.. as much as I love all the commercial clutter I think this will be a good visual breather. Unless the SAMs sign is returning? Now that I would like to see back in its rightful place.

Also, the Eye of Providence in the study space is a little curious, no?

Really? We're excited about this? It's just a whole load of nothing.

How 'public' is this building? So far it's just a waste of space unless you're a Ryerson student. Are we even allowed in it? What am I to do — sit and read with a bunch of 20-year-old hipsters?

I don't see much room for proper 'retail'; that's probably going to be a café (Starbucks).

And, it's ugly.

Well, i have to ask, "what did you expect?" It's Ryerson's Student Activity Centre so, yes, it's for Ryerson students and not really for everyone in Toronto. Am I a Ryerson student, no. But have I walked through a number of Ryerson buildings just to take a look around and by a coffee there, yes I have.

Though I liked the original renderings, I'll take these as well. I'll take most anything that isn't a damn box.

Back