News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I think you should vote for her even if you don't fully agree with her, because if she get's a large number of votes, it will at least show others that the public is serious about getting proper public transit. Not voting for her on the grounds that it's too much or too radical is basically a rejection of any real improvement in the city.

This is of course assuming that she has a good history of following up on her promises.

I'm reminded of David Gunn's philosophy. Start with buses. When you can't stuff any more on the road, put in Streetcars/ Light Rail. When they can't handle the ridership, put in a subway. (Historically, I think that's how Boston got its first subway line.)

Trivia alert! In San Francisco, rumour has it that when a route is electrified (e.g., diesel to trolley bus operation) ridership goes up 10 %.

Last edited:
I'm reminded of David Gunn's philosophy. Start with buses. When you can't stuff any more on the road, put in Streetcars/ Light Rail. When they can't handle the ridership, put in a subway. (Historically, I think that's how Boston got its first subway line.)

The quote I'm familiar has no streetcar/light rail step. "When you can't fit any more buses on a road, build a subway."

FWIW 401 to York would cost about $4.15 during peak hours for the same distance on the 407 (Derry to Dixie) with a transponder, $3.65 off peak.

I'm tempted to vote for anybody who suggests a subway line on Queen. That's where we should have one now instead of on Sheppard. This idea of building subways to stimulate development is asinine - subways are meant to move people!

I'm tempted to vote for anybody who suggests a subway line on Queen. That's where we should have one now instead of on Sheppard. This idea of building subways to stimulate development is asinine - subways are meant to move people!

One nasty side effect of development is an increase in the number of people. Thank god we don't let people into the buildings we build...they might start living there, or working there, or shopping there!

From the perspective of pure existing ridership, Queen would be not be at the top of the list for a subway line. Does it even hit 1000 riders per hour at any point right now? Throw in most of the 501's stops being removed and add long trudges up and down staircases and add transfers near Dufferin and Carlaw or so and a subway can't even be considered a guaranteed, universal improvement upon the 501 for all of its riders, or maybe even for most of them.

Can you imagine the Sheppard line placed along Queen? No stops between Yonge and River, then stops at Carlaw and Greenwood before the line ends at Kingston. That's it. Oh, that's right, in an alternate universe, Sheppard still gets a 4 stop, 5km line while Queen would get the full shebang from the Beaches to Mimico or something like that. Naturally. Also, check out how much the population grew from '01-'06 in wards 13, 14, 18, 19, 28, 30, and 32.

Tolls? we already pay 60$ a year for sticker and then 5$ on top?
subway sucks !!! no express nothing! transit city is being built, the line is going where the elgington subway is on the map.
this city is a disaster! we need more highways! Expand the sheppard line further east and west.
PPL and their stupid ideas. We need highways because our subways SUCK ASS!!

the 5$ is not fair to ppl that drive, many use the roads more then once per day for work. Where as sooo many ppl that dont drive wont be paying for the subway contribution. PPL drive cuz they dont need the subway. so why do they have to pay for it? this topic on highway tolls for subways to be built is strange. Everyone should be contributing $ not just drivers. SOOO MAD ABOUT THIS STUIPD TOPIC! BTW PPL your subway fees just went up too 3$. haha what a joke.

Can anybody else comment here?

Although I am an avowed Subway Advocate I cannot support Sarah's Toll Plan.

The people of the GTA are taxed to death already !

Provincehood for Toronto (the GTA to any surrounding Region that wants to join up) would leave plenty of money to pay for Sarah's Subway vision :)

I completely support this plan, and will vote for her for mayor. However, I also think that the toll on cars is quite steep, and unfairly singles out drivers. As an exclusive transit rider myself, I would definitely support an increase in the cost of a metropass or token to support her plan. I would have no problem adding between $10-25 per month to the cost of a metropass.

The TTC needs to be expanded, and we can all contribute.

Back