News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

One nasty side effect of development is an increase in the number of people. Thank god we don't let people into the buildings we build...they might start living there, or working there, or shopping there!

From the perspective of pure existing ridership, Queen would be not be at the top of the list for a subway line.

My point was that subways should be built in already-developed, densely-populated areas. Of course, once built, they will attract more development, that's obvious. And the Queen subway, if you look at the map supplied by the candidate, would relieve Yonge-University-Spadina.

While I would support tolls for better transit, $5 dollars a trip is astronomical. How about 50 cents to a dollar per trip, or a monthly rate as UD suggested? That seems more realistic. The downtown relief line and Eglinton subway certainly are tantalizing propositions though, as these two routes would be my first pick for subway line locations.

My point was that subways should be built in already-developed, densely-populated areas. Of course, once built, they will attract more development, that's obvious. And the Queen subway, if you look at the map supplied by the candidate, would relieve Yonge-University-Spadina.

You mean the map stolen by the candidate.

A DRL along Queen may do very, very little for Queen. Add two transfers, slash many stops, add long trudges up and down stairs, etc. There's better places for the DRL to run. If you're looking for density, don't look at Queen...or at least check out the plummeting population in many areas along Queen first. Suburban Toronto is literally filled with already-developed, densely-populated areas. Subways don't always attract development (Glencairn, Ossington, Chester, Lawrence), and a subway along Queen would generate wild and frantic opposition to development (except for some sites south of Queen, which is where the DRL should go, anyway).

Thumbs Down

I agree with the road tolls, but subways everywhere?!? Really? Its pretty un-original to take Transit City and add the lines to the subway map. How much would this cost? How long would the NEW Environmental Assessments take? How much grief would people have over closing streets for years. Seriously, this is such a long-shot, desperate attempt to attract attention to her bid.

I agree wholeheartedly with the need for the Downtown Relief Line, but if you built all those subways you would need extra runs on the Yonge University line just to keep up with demand.

I give this idea two thumbs down

Back