39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
In my opinion, there should be no extension of the subway north of Steeles, at least not until dense downtown areas are served. Obviously the University-Spadina line runs under capacity, so an extension is welcome - especially to York University and the northwest of the city - but this is simply wasteful and invites a bureaucratic nightmare and ensures that Toronto gets fewer transit dollars. Commuters from Vaughn should use the GO train service, a subway will take too long to get downtown. Maybe they want to go to York U, or somewhere midtown: you moved to the burbs, take the bus. You contributed to the sprawl willingly, and should not be rewarded with high density transit. That "density node" appears to be a series of rather short buildings. Better than what is there, but disappointing. Hopefully, this extension won't get built for 20 years, at which time I'd be more inclined to support it. The first time I have ever wanted to rely on the absolute ineptitude of Toronto transit planning.

Last edited:
So ridiculous. This should not be happening. How about building a subway line to a centre that ALREADY exists? Mississauga City Centre!

I guess my low expectations for this subway extension were too optimistic. It is embarrassing to see how the density potential around the majority of these subway stations has been forgotten.

The AFTER photos for the Vaughan Centre Station also show how the areas around any stations for any Sheppard HRT subway would have to be like to be successful.

Why stop at Vaughn "centre"? There must be hundreds of potential high order transit riders in Tottenham, Beaton, Horseshoe Valley and Parry Sound.

The whole idea of building the subway to Vaughn is polically charged lunacy. Someone 15 years ago came up with the idea of looping the younge line with the Spadina line along steeles as per the london circle line. It would allow a 50% increase of trains during rush hour down the younge coridor. Our northern neighbours could link their transportation into the steeles stations per their means. - ice

course I believe the cities real need is a subway on Eglinton....

Its all about money. Its cheaper to build an extension that goes under undeveloped land rather than an entire new line under developed areas. Sure it makes more sense to build subways where the density is, but the reality is that there's only so much money to go around so its much less likely to happen.

It will take 30 - 35 years for the density of VMC to match that of North York City Centre. Heck, it took that same amount of time for NCC to develop after the construction of the North York Civic Centre. Meanwhile, inner Toronto ends up subsidizing the operating cost of maintaining this line, when a "beefed" up version of GO Transit should have been the answer for this area.
Another crucial mistake on Vaughan’s part was locating their new city hall up on Major Mac & Keele when it should have been down here. Suburbs like Vaughan need all the stimulus you can get to develop a true & meaningful “downtown” core.

It will take 30 - 35 years for the density of VMC to match that of North York City Centre. Heck, it took that same amount of time for NCC to develop after the construction of the North York Civic Centre. Meanwhile, inner Toronto ends up subsidizing the operating cost of maintaining this line, when a "beefed" up version of GO Transit should have been the answer for this area.
Another crucial mistake on Vaughan’s part was locating their new city hall up on Major Mac & Keele when it should have been down here. Suburbs like Vaughan need all the stimulus you can get to develop a true & meaningful “downtown†core.

Absolutely correct. We spend billions to extend YUS to a semi-rural area, and nothing to improve transit in areas where existing population density might support it. This is madness.

This extension is to Greg Sorbara and Vaughn, as the Sheppard line was to then mayor of North York Mel Lastman. Its a boondoggle joke and we will regret it for decades to come. The fact that these stations will also probably be amongst, if not the most architecturally and expensive stations in the system is also beyond me. I think its great to have Alsop, Grimshaw, Rogers et all desiging these stations, but should we not be concentrating on allocating this money toward real expansion.

And while we are on the subject of the TTC, why the hell are we purchasing new subway cars? Streetcars I can understand as they are unaccessible and have reached their ends, but the subway cars? Fix the f-ing stations and upgrade the system before upgrading the trains - we have escalators that don't work, union employees who are about as reliable as the escalators, a fare system that the developing world laughs at (tokens? really?) and streetcars and busses that run on their own schedules - seeing as every schedule at every stop has been removed...

pfive

Back