News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I see nothing unusual about these travel warnings. Sure everything might seem fine and dandy to us, but we are accustomed to life here. Our winters are dangerous to Australians as they don't experience this kind of weather. (An Australian exchange student at school thinks we are crazy when we say "its a nice day" in -5 degree weather) A 1cm snow fall seems like nothing to us, but try telling someone who has never seen snow that it is nothing. Add driving in a small snowstorm to the mix and they would think you are nuts. Windchill is indeed a danger, so that shouldnt surprise anyone.

Avalanches do happen out west, and foreigners need to be aware of that. Notice that the people who are often killed in avalanches are from out of province? Its hard to imagine how deadly an avalanche can be when you've had no experience with them.

The 401 would be a danger to someone from out of the GTA as it is a massive highway and people often drive recklessly on it. Someone from outside would be lost on it, not to mention someone who is used to driving on the left.

As for rabies, it is something people should worry about when approaching wildlife in Canada. Sometimes its hard to remember that. Think about it... Youre from somewhere where they dont have squirrels, and one approaches you. They look friendly, cute and innocent. I have got close to them in the past for that reason but knew about the risks. People from outside wouldnt be so quick to think about it.

I think people are taking this too seriously. Its simply a warning to potential travellers on things which they may encounter during their trip. Its not like they are calling for a ban on travel to Canada.

Eh, no.

Avalanches do happen ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD where there's snow in the mountain, not just the west canada.

People can get kill ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD where there are cars, not just 401.

Winters can be dangerous ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD not just Canada.

The problem is that they are warning about the typical things that can happen anywhere, not just Canada. Do they do the warning about other countries?

Not to mention about tornadoes, terrorists etc. I'm shocked they left out SARS and Madcows...

Olivia Newton John: Good and bad points...

Mongo: I agree with you totally-back in the later 70s ONJ was really hot and her looks did not fade with age-she is still an attractive lady-good point.

Now for the bad point: In the 90s I believe she started a clothing/attire business called Koala Blue. Franchises were sold-but the company went belly-up causing franchisees to lose their investments in it. She was somewhat indifferent in the situation to the chagrin of those who lost their investments.
I definitely thought different of her afterwards...LI MIKE

Eh, no.

Avalanches do happen ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD where there's snow in the mountain, not just the west canada.

People can get kill ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD where there are cars, not just 401.

Winters can be dangerous ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD not just Canada.

The problem is that they are warning about the typical things that can happen anywhere, not just Canada. Do they do the warning about other countries?

Not to mention about tornadoes, terrorists etc. I'm shocked they left out SARS and Madcows...

I suggest you read everything I wrote instead of just skimming through. You completely missed my point.

The point is - in fact - smarttraveller.gov.au is not just a site for places you should not go to, it's a site where people are encouraged to learn about specific dangers wherever they go.

If you actually take the time and look at the site, under the Travel ADVISORIES, the 2nd and 3rd dot points are the lists of countries our Federal Government recommends not travelling to.

I think the problem is that the advisory gives no sense of the level of danger. Tornadoes are pretty rare even where they are most common (southern Ontario)--I would not classify them as a credible safety hazard.

Cold weather is indeed a concern... during the Winter. I'd hate to think of an aussie buying a parka for their trip to Toronto in August.

As far as bush fires, I think it might be more apt to encourage Aussies to travel to Canada to reduce their risk to them. "At any time" is a bit much. Forest fires never happen during the winter.

All the things mentioned are possible safety hazards, but not put into perspective. I think this is where the controversy is stemming from. Government advisories should give some idea of relative risk.

I suggest you read everything I wrote instead of just skimming through. You completely missed my point.

I think you are missing the whole point. It's not whether they should give warning. It's the warnings they give are total non-sense.

I think an equivalent to this would be the Canadian government stating that visitors to Australia must be cautious not to be injured by falling rocks. Or poor drivers. Or maybe bee stings.

B.C. is also listed as "an active earthquake zone."

They forgot Eastern Ontario and Western Quebec. I've experienced tremors in both Ottawa and Montreal. Maybe I should send the appropriate message to give a heads up on this serious omission of a threat.

Mount Royal - former volcano. Yikes!

Tayser's point is well taken, no? The US also has a travel advisory for Canada.

Amusingly, it notes that "Canada ’s medical care is of a high standard but is government controlled and rationed."

The Canadian travel advisory for the US states that, "Standards of medical care may differ from those in Canada. Treatment may be expensive, and payment in advance may be required."

Take that!

I think you are missing the whole point. It's not whether they should give warning. It's the warnings they give are total non-sense.

They aren't nonsense. The warnings are legit. Like some have said, the only problem is the warnings do not quantify the risks, they simply state them.

Like I said... these warnings are aimed at Australians who have never set foot in Canada. They wouldn't be aware of the things listed.

Tayser is right. This is really dog-bites-man news.

Any Australian dumb enough to take these advisories into consideration is probably not the kind of person who travels, in general.

I think an equivalent to this would be the Canadian government stating that visitors to Australia must be cautious not to be injured by falling rocks. Or poor drivers. Or maybe bee stings.

Exactly! Or crossing the Sydney harbor bridge may cause falling off the bridge or visiting the Sydney Opera House may require a pair of ear plugs :p

They aren't nonsense. The warnings are legit. Like some have said, the only problem is the warnings do not quantify the risks, they simply state them.

Like I said... these warnings are aimed at Australians who have never set foot in Canada. They wouldn't be aware of the things listed.

Then do their research before coming. I've never been to many countries...no excuse. It's common sense.

No duh... thats exactly why the travel warning was created. A place where Australians could find out about the dangers they may face in other countries.

If you get those warnings...wouldn't you wonder how silly they are and find out more about it?

I never go to the Cdn website for research. I go to travel websites.

Back