News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It's more likely that the little media dust-up spooked someone higher up at Molson Coors who probably hadn't even seen the regional ad before today. They probably decided to kill it because it doesn't jibe with corporate synergy or whatever.

I still don't really get the ad. I thought Toronto was stereotyped for being boring and lifeless, but not 'cold'. It doesn't work for me.

But whatever. I can't analyze this too much. This is a beer where the label changes colour when it gets cold.

Want to think up similar campaigns for Coors?

How about:

Coors light and Toronto. One smells like piss, the other tastes like it.

This pitting of regions against one another isn't exactly a Canadian thing. Virtually every country in the world has some sort of internal rivalry. In France it's Marseille-Paris, in Britain almost every county has something derogatory associated with it that make people say "at least I'm not from X". As long as no harm or hate is meant by it, then enjoy the laugh, make a jab back if you want and move on.

This pitting of regions against one another isn't exactly a Canadian thing. Virtually every country in the world has some sort of internal rivalry. In France it's Marseille-Paris, in Britain almost every county has something derogatory associated with it that make people say "at least I'm not from X". As long as no harm or hate is meant by it, then enjoy the laugh, make a jab back if you want and move on.

like lower uncton's perpetual darkness caused by shamus mcbundy?

Eh, you make a crap product and you crap on other people. It's their way of making them feel better about their lightly beer-flavoured soda water. BTW, the reason they want you to drink it cold is because your freezing taste buds can't tell that the product you're consuming is terrible.

HAHAHA. Ah married with children is great.

A [Vancouverite, or insert ROC here] sees the billboard and mentions to his buddy next to him: "Oh yeh Toronto people are cold, why the hell would they live there?"

Meanwhile in Toronto....

A Torontonian is talking to a co-worker at the water cooler: "Hey did you hear there are billboards in [Vancouver, or insert ROC] stating Torontonians are cold?"

The co-worker responds, "Oh really? Oh [Vancouver, or insert ROC] what a wonderful city, I try to visit as often as I can. Hey let's go get a Steam Whistle after work?"

"Sounds great!"

Originally Posted by jn_12
like lower uncton's perpetual darkness caused by shamus mcbundy?

OMG classic. This was the first thing I thought of when I read the original comment.. then a second later I scroll down and couldn't stop laughing.

coors-light-ad.jpg

That's right! And when in Toronto, have a real beer, and none of that Coors swill.

I think the Toronto Star should have changed the title of the article from "They're picking on us again" to "We're picking on ourselves again".

Coors Molson is headquartered in Toronto as is the agency that came up with this billboard. BC had nothing to do with it contrary to how this was presented.

Here's an article from the Vancouver Sun;
By Jeff Lee, Vancouver Sun http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Toronto+residents+froth+over+insulting+beer/1906005/story.html

VANCOUVER — Showing that there may be indeed be truth in advertising, angry Torontonians have scuppered a B.C. billboard beer ad that poked fun at them for being exceptionally frosty.

On Tuesday, in the face of complaints from about 20 people, Toronto-based Molson Coors pulled a 30-billboard campaign that advertised Coors Light as “colder than most people from Torontoâ€.

The billboard, which was part of Molson Coors' “Colder than . . .†summer beer campaign, went largely unnoticed by anyone east of the Rockies until a Toronto newspaper carried a complaint from a Toronto resident who saw the ad while on vacation.
Within hours of the story, Molson Coors backtracked and cancelled the campaign after it received complaints from people who thought they offended residents of Canada's largest city. “Our decision was we didn't want to offend anyone,†said spokesman Adam Moffat. “It wasn't meant to be harmful but was supposed to be playful. The insight is there that some people didn't like this.â€

It will take about a week to pull down the offending billboards - which were supposed to finish on September 4 after a 16-week run.

The irony is that the advertising campaign was devised by Toronto-based advertising agency Draftfcb and didn't involve anyone in B.C.

Full article; http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Toronto+residents+froth+over+insulting+beer/1906005/story.html

... and to be fair though '10' complaints hardly represents a groundswell of indignation in Toronto. Good grief, has perspective been completely lost?

... and to be fair though '10' complaints hardly represents a groundswell of indignation in Toronto. Good grief, has perspective been completely lost?

well, maybe 10 don't represent but the article clearly states it was 20 and 20 is clearly representative of millions of people. ;)

but seriously, because people were offended is not a good reason to take down a billboard. anything can be deemed offensive such as advertising portraying women in revealing clothing which could offend people of certain religious groups to the concept of advertising billboards themselves offending people of various political spectrums such as north korean communists.

if it exists, someone is bound to be offended by it.

Since the ad was created by someone in Toronto, it either makes you think the person must have had a bad day or despises Toronto?

Frankly the billboard joke went over my head. I wasn't even completely sure what they intended to say. Yea Toronto is cold but Vancouver had more snow than we did last year it seems :p If they mean Torontonians are unfriendly, they need to travel more.

I don't know why people are giving the ad attention. If we get offended by every little thing, we would be very busy complaining every day.

Back