8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

đź’ˇgood point, seems NDP will do nothing about housing as well
20220123_121340.png

20220123_121421.png

Gawd, I can’t imagine living in a tiny condo if I was still wfh. I go stir crazy in my comparatively spacious house.
We have a kid in an apartment that we bought a few years ago, and I wouldn't do it any differently today if I could afford it, but they are really making it hard to afford to raise a kid anywhere close to downtown.

We have a kid in an apartment that we bought a few years ago, and I wouldn't do it any differently today if I could afford it, but they are really making it hard to afford to raise a kid anywhere close to downtown.
As a young person sure, “slumming it“ is part of the adventure. But I’m 50, and need my space.

But that is pretty unaffordable for most people these days. Our last apartment, 750 sf in the Annex, would have been a real challenge with a baby.

I don’t need a lot of space for myself, but we have a lot of Lego these days. The other day, he made me build a tower crane, which is all we can see out of our windows.

I am 43! 1200 square feet is plenty for three people, even in a pandemic.

My house is that size, it works. The apratment i grew up in was only 900 square feet. i know people with young kids, stuck in a tiny 750 square foot shoe box, they had to move out of the city to a larger unit, it saved their mental health and marriage.

My house is that size, it works. The apratment i grew up in was only 900 square feet. i know people with young kids, stuck in a tiny 750 square foot shoe box, they had to move out of the city to a larger unit, it saved their mental health and marriage.
We chose to move to 1150 sf in St. Lawrence instead of the suburbs. The difference is night and day. I grew up in the countryside, where space was endless.

I am 43! 1200 square feet is plenty for three people, even in a pandemic.
I'll echo this. The entire world lives in apartments; there's nothing inherently wrong with them.

There's also this toxic false dichotomy in Canada that an apartment must be crap, while a detached house is the way to go.

It seems like that flawed assumption has made apartment design crappy and made people dislike apartments in a self-fulfilling prophecy.

And it's not just about area. Our floorplans and building designs don't make for attractive units. I cringe a bit every time I hear someone complaining about apartments as if they're an inherently bad living situation. Just sounds like good ol' Canadian exceptionalism to me: well if we can't do it, it's not possible.

edit to add: and you don't even need much space. My family's cottage is 1,300 sq.ft. (excluding the 600 sq.ft. unfinished basement) and it's plenty of space for a family of three or four. The 2,000-2,500 sq.ft. 5-6 bedroom McMansions that we started building in the 80s are ridiculous wasteful. Even 1,800 sq.ft. is excessive for a one child family. Yes, the usual caveats about multi-generation families.

Last edited:
Our 1150 sf apartment actually has much larger living spaces (living, dining room, entrance hall, etc.) than a lot of my friends' houses in Leslieville, Bloorcourt, etc. The bedrooms and bathrooms are smaller, but it's way more efficient overall in terms of the parts you actually use all the time.

It's possible. At the same time, though, there are hundreds (thousands?) of buildings of a similar vintage out there in Toronto, and this one is in the news because its story is unusual.

Back