News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

1615589223577.png

Not sure what there doing

Turns out they added new track, nice to see them make the line in better condition
1615589491122.png

To the left is the old track that was in place (From 1929 I believe) They also added new ballast as you can see, I don't think these new tracks are brand new, but the are for sure newer then the ones from 1929 lol

If there are any really old sections, you should see if there are any 'date spikes' in the ties. I don't know if all railroads did it but I got a bunch from around Uxbridge, all dating from the 1940s

This is great. Barrie's section is a big loss maker. Hopefully Barrie will go along with this and convert their section into a trail as well.

I'm actually surprised they didn't shut their part down when Collingwood did but when they see the success of the OBRY trail, I'm sure they will be persuaded.

This is great. Barrie's section isn't doing very well these days. Hopefully Barrie will go along with this and convert their section into a trail as well.

Enough please.

Your consistent anti-rail position has clearly reached the level of trolling.

Its not thoughtful or evidence-based posting, its done solely to get the under-the-skin of others.

Please find another forum to troll (and leave this one alone)

Enough please.

Your consistent anti-rail position has clearly reached the level of trolling.

Its not thoughtful or evidence-based posting, its done solely to get the under-the-skin of others.

Please find another forum to troll (and leave this one alone)
Just fairly cynical on municipal railways, especially now with the failure of the OBRY.

One thing I am uncertain about is whether Barrie intends to keep operating their portion. The article seems to cast doubt on that.
While the City of Barrie continues to investigate what they plan to do with their portion and their side of the line continues to operate, Meile says it won’t impact how the county deals with their side, and will be proceeding with the rail conversion.
What will be the outcome of Barrie's investigations on what they will do with their line? I'm not sure we have any indications which way they will go at this point.

Incredibly short sighted, but at least the ROW will be in tact.
Collingwood is a very fast growing community, which will likely at least double in population in the next twenty years, with numerous amenities for tourism increasing the temporary population even moreso. Angus will also likely see large amounts of new housing starts. If you look at the "settlement area" of Angus, you can see there is significant hectares of developable land.
Especially with such a straight ROW, not connecting it to the rail network is poor planning, and not in line with what is supposed to be a national vision to decrease emissions. It shows a real lack of leadership on both the municipal and provincial levels.

Last edited:
Incredibly short sighted, but at least the ROW will be in tact.
Collingwood is a very fast growing community, which will likely at least double in population in the next twenty years, with numerous amenities for tourism increasing the temporary population even moreso. Angus will also likely see large amounts of new housing starts. If you look at the "settlement area" of Angus, you can see there is significant hectares of developable land.
Especially with such a straight ROW, not connecting it to the rail network is poor planning, and not in line with what is supposed to be a national vision to decrease emissions. It shows a real lack of leadership on both the municipal and provincial levels.
I could see a Barrie Line GO extension one day.

I could see a Barrie Line GO extension one day.
This trail will probably prevent that. Not that there was a ton of demand for it. Probably best to have a connecting bus at Allandale. There probably wouldn't be enough demand for a passenger rail service to Collingwood. It is similar to the concept of GO rail to Orangeville. A nice dream, but something that will never become a reality.

This is great. Barrie's section is a big loss maker. Hopefully Barrie will go along with this and convert their section into a trail as well.

I'm actually surprised they didn't shut their part down when Collingwood did but when they see the success of the OBRY trail, I'm sure they will be persuaded.
Looking for a rail trail in the immediate vicinity of Barrie? I can point you to ones such as the Thornton Cookstown TransCanada Trail and the Oro-Medonte Rail Trail, both of which are similar or more interesting than the current BCRY ROW.

Also, if you read the article linked in the above article, you'll see Barrie wants to retain the railway.

This trail will probably prevent that. Not that there was a ton of demand for it. Probably best to have a connecting bus at Allandale. There probably wouldn't be enough demand for a passenger rail service to Collingwood. It is similar to the concept of GO rail to Orangeville. A nice dream, but something that will never become a reality.
I don't mean in the next few years, but more like 20-30 years. I do agree that a GO bus should be instated first, but the need may end up building there.

Reactions: max

Your opinions continue to lack any evidence or citation.
They continue to be founded on thin air.
You show no restraint in expressing them nonetheless.

Its fine to have a preference........and yes, one different from my own.
Though that ought to be expressed accordingly, rather than implying it as factual.
Its equally fine to have evidence that supports a different conclusion.
I love facts. But you are short on any. Finally, its fine to have a vested interest (you would personally profit from the railways closure...........yay you.........) but fess up that that influences your opinion if it is so.
Otherwise you need to stop.

Other people express that they think service should go on to Orillia.............or Collingwood/Blue Mountain/Wasaga. They also show that GO previously considered Orillia as an end point, that Orillia as a community has expressed such interest, that the line used to run there, that Barrie is a major population centre etc etc.

Other people express why they feel a resort/weekend/holiday service is evidenced by car parking at the various destinations and the success of Niagara GO.

You're welcome to dispute any of that................but some evidence would be nice.

We all agree current freight demand is (at best) barely adequate to sustain operations on this, and various other lines on which you frequently comment, and cheer their demise.

There is some debate about whether the freight portion is rescuable in the medium term.

There is a separate discussion on the value of passenger services in these corridors, (in whole, or in part), today, and in the future.

If you have something constructive to offer, please do.

IF you do not, please don't.

Last edited:

Back