News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Quite a few potential future uses for the BCR corridor, especially for the Barrie section.

1. A new station within Barrie, near the Ferndale Dr.

2. A new rail link that goes north-east around Barrie, roughly follows Hwy 11 to Orillia, then further north passing Lake Couchiching on the west and joining the existing line just north of Washago, then following the Northland route towards Gravenhurst, Bracebridge, Huntsville etc. If Metrolinx builds that new link, it can reserve space for the second track, and it doesn't have to give freight any priority over the passenger service.

3. The old route to Angus and Collinwood, ideally extended to Owen Sound roughtly along Hwy 26.

Quite a few potential future uses for the BCR corridor, especially for the Barrie section.

2. A new rail link that goes north-east around Barrie, roughly follows Hwy 11 to Orillia, then further north passing Lake Couchiching on the west and joining the existing line just north of Washago, then following the Northland route towards Gravenhurst, Bracebridge, Huntsville etc. If Metrolinx builds that new link, it can reserve space for the second track, and it doesn't have to give freight any priority over the passenger service.

3. The old route to Angus and Collinwood, ideally extended to Owen Sound roughtly along Hwy 26.

An extension of the Barrie Line to the west makes some sense, where there would be room for a suburban GO station with parking to replace the small parking lot at Allandale. Beyond that, though, I don't really see a market for passenger rail. But given the short distance from the western end of Barrie to Utopia, it helps maintain the case for BCRY freight service switching with CP. One can dream, but it might also allow for the Canadian and *just maybe* another train as far as Sudbury to be rerouted from the Bala Sub to the CP Mactier Sub, and then on to the Barrie Line.

But with the railway severed in Collingwood, and the old Northern Railway extended only to Meaford. It'd be prohibitively expensive to extend to Owen Sound, given that there was never such a connection before.

Functionally that isn't much different than a shuttle.
Functionally no, practically yes.

I'm curious to hear what you would consider to be easy.
A continuous train from Toronto into Collingwood. That's what is needed to get people out of cars and onto trains.
Once there a short ride to the hotel isn't an issue.

A continuous train from Toronto into Collingwood. That's what is needed to get people out of cars and onto trains.
Once there a short ride to the hotel isn't an issue.
Ok, then I think we are on the same page, as that is what I would support.
I don't think a train to Barrie with bus connection onward to Collingwood would be a successful venture.
At the very least, it would be nice to see this studied (if it already has not been?).

But with the railway severed in Collingwood, and the old Northern Railway extended only to Meaford. It'd be prohibitively expensive to extend to Owen Sound, given that there was never such a connection before.

I'm not familiar with the grounds, but just looking at the map, a rail route running south of Hwy 26 should be possible. I can't see why it would be harder than the 413 or the Bradford Bypass.

Such a route may not be able to serve downtown Collinwood as the old ROW is partly taken. So, less convenient for Collinwood, but gaining the ability to serve multiple destinations further west.

The old ROW for the Newmarket Subdivision still entirely exists as a trail, if you can bypass downtown Barrie it is theoretically possible to revive the route to Orillia. Though tbh it’s probably more practical to just revive the spur from the Bala sub to Orillia

You need to match or beat speed (travel time); you need to offer a level of comfort and amenity to offset some loss of flexibility (I'm now at the mercy of a train schedule) etc.
The point is not to be anti-bus, or to fail to acknowledge 'last mile' issues......But to say that a trip that is too cumbersome isn't worth it to the discretionary rider;
and the 'captive' rider is likely not a robust enough market to support such a service.

I am guessing you have never tried going north on the 400 on a Friday of a long weekend. You will come to a complete stop; multiple times. You will crawl at 20 km/hr for what seems like forever. So, rehabilitate the line to Collingwood as far as the ROW is still intact. Put a GO train on it. It will be well used.

1) Good idea.

2) Something like this?

3) that may be a problem after Collingwood. You are either expropriating housing/other built up area, or you need to do something with the escarpment.

An extension of the Barrie Line to the west makes some sense, where there would be room for a suburban GO station with parking to replace the small parking lot at Allandale. Beyond that, though, I don't really see a market for passenger rail. But given the short distance from the western end of Barrie to Utopia, it helps maintain the case for BCRY freight service switching with CP. One can dream, but it might also allow for the Canadian and *just maybe* another train as far as Sudbury to be rerouted from the Bala Sub to the CP Mactier Sub, and then on to the Barrie Line.

Owen sound is not needed, but something to Collingwood would make sense. Maybe 20+ years after arriving in Collingwood, the line could be extended further.

The old ROW for the Newmarket Subdivision still entirely exists as a trail, if you can bypass downtown Barrie it is theoretically possible to revive the route to Orillia. Though tbh it’s probably more practical to just revive the spur from the Bala sub to Orillia

See my map. The old Bala connection through Barrie is gone and built up over it. Something would be needed to bypass the city, but it could be done.

I am guessing you have never tried going north on the 400 on a Friday of a long weekend. You will come to a complete stop; multiple times. You will crawl at 20 km/hr for what seems like forever. So, rehabilitate the line to Collingwood as far as the ROW is still intact. Put a GO train on it. It will be well used.

You do realize how absurd that statement is, don't you?

I'm pro-train, you're critiquing me as if it were otherwise.

I wrote that in the context of why I would oppose a bus transfer mid-trip.

Also, I'm quite familiar with the 400 and Friday evenings...........

I'm also aware that would not be the only trip timeslot.

Last edited:
You do realize how absurd that statement is, don't you?

I'm pro-train, you're critiquing me as if it were otherwise.

I wrote that in the context of why I would oppose a bus transfer mid-trip.

Also, I'm quite familiar with the 400 and Friday evenings...........

I'm also aware that would not the the only trip timeslot.

When someone talks absurdities, I call it out. Haven't you been saying that even if a station was in Collingwood it isn't good enough because there would need to be a shuttle to your hotel?

1) Good idea.

2) Something like this?

3) that may be a problem after Collingwood. You are either expropriating housing/other built up area, or you need to do something with the escarpment.

Owen sound is not needed, but something to Collingwood would make sense. Maybe 20+ years after arriving in Collingwood, the line could be extended further.

See my map. The old Bala connection through Barrie is gone and built up over it. Something would be needed to bypass the city, but it could be done.
Must be a misunderstanding, I’m talking about reviving this spur east of Atherley and going to Orillia that way
A4639203-CAAA-4079-9EB5-DC1225CB5411.png

When someone talks absurdities, I call it out. Haven't you been saying that even if a station was in Collingwood it isn't good enough because there would need to be a shuttle to your hotel?

No, I did not say that.

Please consider reading posts in full, and accurately attributing quotes.

Back