TORONTO TRANSIT COMMISSION
TO Commissioners
FROM Gary M. Webster
MEETING DATE March 21, 2007

SUBJECT Staff Response to Commission Inquiry – Beautifying Subway Entrances

RECOMMENDATION

It is recommended that the Commission:

(a) receive this report for information;
(b) endorse the proposed plan to invite concept designs at a total cost of $40,000 for eight downtown stations as an honourarium of $5,000 per station;
(c) authorize funds of $10,000 for internal staff time;
(d) approve an increase in the scope of the Station Modernization Project for the concept designs of subway station sidewalk entrances; and
(e) endorse the review of the design standard for station entrance signs by staff in consultation with external designers.

FUNDING

No funds are budgeted for station entrance improvements. The funds of $50,000 required for the invited design concepts and staff time will be accommodated within the current budget for the Station Modernization Project (as set out on pages 563-566 of the Improvements Category) of the TTC’s 2007-2011 Capital Program which was approved by the Commission on January 31, 2007.

Funds for design standard development for the subway entrance signs are included in the 2007 TTC Operating Budget.

BACKGROUND

At its meeting on February 27, 2007, the Commission received correspondence from the Chair. The Commission referred this communication to staff for a report on opportunities for beautifying the concrete above-ground subway entrances and improving the design of station entrance signs. This report responds to that request.

DISCUSSION

The design of the original stations on the Yonge and University lines incorporated sidewalk entrances which provide station access and egress routes and a source of makeup air for ventilation purposes. Over time, many of these entrances have been incorporated into adjacent developments. Staff concur that the original concrete design of the remaining sidewalk entrances could be improved, particularly in the downtown core.

Staff recommend that the sidewalk entrances at the following stations be considered for an urban design upgrade: Museum, Queen’s Park, St. Patrick, Osgoode, St. Andrew, King, Dundas and College. In addition, staff view this as an opportunity to invite design concepts from the design community. Staff believe that the addition of canopies and enhanced finishes to these sidewalk entrances will improve the appearance, safety and cleanliness of these open stairways. Also, staff recommend that site specific designs be developed for the entrances that are compatible with architectural surroundings.

It is proposed that these designs be undertaken this year to permit costing and inclusion of the entrances in the 2008-2012 Capital Program. If the conceptual design is approved, the detailed designs will be awarded through a competitive procurement.

With respect to the station entrance signs, staff concur that the current design should be reviewed. As this element represents the subway system at street level, it is the service identity landmark and as such, requires consistency of design. It is recommended that the standard for station entrance signs be reviewed by staff in consultation with external designers, possibly through the Design Exchange, with a report to the Commission by July of 2007. This proposed process will include a design charette modeled on the recent design process employed by the City for street furniture.

JUSTIFICATION

Providing improved subway station sidewalk entrances and entrance signs will enhance the urban design environment of the City.

Interim Chief General Manager

80-86-1/62

AoD

As this element represents the subway system at street level, it is the service identity landmark and as such, requires consistency of design.

*rubs eyes*

Where did this fall off too?

I thought we actually got to final design approval, but has even one new entrance been done yet? ( I don't think so)

Drum? Other TTC experts; where has this project gone too?

I don't believe it received final design approval, rather called for concepts. These projects are probably in the queue in the station modernization budget, but probably lower since they're not tied to required station refurbishment.

I forget where I read it, but Wellesley Station's ground level is going to be renovated soon. Hopefully they gay it up a little, like Beaudry in Montreal.

Wellesley

Wellesley will be getting a second exit sometime in the next year or two; on Dundonald, in front of the Apt building whose garage is over the station.

I'm not aware of any other surface changes, but the TTC has altered the terms of its lease with the landlord/developer as part of the deal for the new exit.

I imagine, but can't confirm, that elevators for Wellesley will be done at the same time as the second exit.

Detailed Design and tendering are still to be done, so the earliest this will be done is 2010, but that's not a given.

How many people wanna bet there'll be some kind of St Andrew-style "restoration" involved?

I wonder if Paris has any more Guimard Metro entrances to spare. Instant entrance beautification there!

QC-STM-Victoria_20030922-112345-EntourageGuimardVueDeDevant.jpg

It fits in better in Montreal with its similar subway trains and French heritage. But hey, maybe the London Tube will have a garage sale one of these days.

Ya Know

Its not even the signage to me.

Thought the 'Metropolitan' sign has a lovely charm.

I see nothing wrong with the TTC's current signage, except for it being overcrowded.

But, those railings........

You just compare that to the blah concrete forms we use around our subway stairs here........

Its not that the railings inspire awe; they don't; its the that they're nice, simple, elegant yet with a hint of detail and whisp of forethought for more than function.

Something we just don't see often enough here.

I have no inside information at all, but within the past few days, didn't we have the announcement in Thunder Bay that the new transit vehicles would be built with or without federal government participation? I understood that , if the feds did not come through, other TTC capital projects were to be deferred in order to redirect the money. If that holds true, I wouldn't be expecting too many subway station renos in the next few years.

But, those railings........

You just compare that to the blah concrete forms we use around our subway stairs here........

Its not that the railings inspire awe; they don't; its the that they're nice, simple, elegant yet with a hint of detail and whisp of forethought for more than function.

Something we just don't see often enough here.

Yes, but remember that when you see "blah concrete forms" on the 1954 line, they aren't original. The original "subway entrance railings" tended to be stainless steel pipes with a Moderne feel. Now, *those* I'd reinstate, rather than importing Guimard...

Back