News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Though what's the nature of the tile being redone? As I've mentioned, any subway station serving the Gay Village just *needs* some kind of restoration or quasi-restoration (sf. St Andrew) of the 1954 Vitrolite aesthetic...

Not What you think

Wellesley is not getting a prettified entrance.

That program was for staircase entrances (stairs open to the street).

The work going on at Wellesley is part of the 'Easier Access' program. Instead of waiting for elevators, the TTC is re-working a bunch of stations so that people using wheelchair/scooters will be able to get from the street to the bus terminal and/or transfer between buses. Basically its a program that puts the automatic sliding doors in; and the new design for the crash gate.

Wellesley will be getting "prettified" when the second entrance work begins. They're working at redesigning the entire front facade of the station.

What's the timeline for this?

I'm also curious about whether the new handicap-friendly turnstiles will need to be ripped out when the TTC finally gives in and agrees to implement Presto system-wide.

What's the timeline for this?

I'm also curious about whether the new handicap-friendly turnstiles will need to be ripped out when the TTC finally gives in and agrees to implement Presto system-wide.

You mean when they get funding to implement Presto system-wide.

Another priority is making the entrances safe. A number of times I almost slipped on the stairs in King Station.

About that...

I've always wondered why the TTC didn't set up little shelters over their stairway entrances in order to provide a little protection from the elements. Sure dirt/snow/slush will get trudged in regardless but I have found that generally the stairs are slipperiest during that first initial phase or snow (or rain) fall but before any real accumulation can occur.

NY has this doesn't it?

About that...

I've always wondered why the TTC didn't set up little shelters over their stairway entrances in order to provide a little protection from the elements. Sure dirt/snow/slush will get trudged in regardless but I have found that generally the stairs are slipperiest during that first initial phase or snow (or rain) fall but before any real accumulation can occur.

NY has this doesn't it?

Probably designed with the mind that the stairs will never need to be cleaned as the elements will wash it out.

The ice problem was definately considered and most likely deemed unconsequential since the heat from the subway system will keep the stairs warm enough as to not be iced over, which is mostly the case in Toronto.

Last edited:
Some work is being completed at Wellesley Subway station. Two of the four double entrance doors off Wellesley are being replaced to sliding doors (so I was told), doors in the east bus bay are being replaced, some tiling has been redone and the aluminum ceiling slats are being replaced in the west bus bay.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

The hoarding for the automatic doors on the east side of the bus bay at Wellesley station have been removed. It looks like they should be operational soon. The new sliding doors entering the station off Wellesley Street still have the hoarding up, as do those on the west side of the bus bay.

The new automatic sliding doors on the east side of the bus bay were put into service in early December, the two on the west side of the bay aren't complete yet. This week saw the hoarding removed from the main entrance to the station off Wellesley Street and the automatic sliding doors are now operational.

Shelter!!

About that...

NY has this doesn't it?

Yeah, I don't care what they do as long as they put in some shelters for some weather protection.

The stairs in many of these entrances are covered in something akin to ceramic tiles... and whoever thought that was a good idea for a city that gets rough winters clearly was not thinking.

Yeah, I don't care what they do as long as they put in some shelters for some weather protection.

The stairs in many of these entrances are covered in something akin to ceramic tiles... and whoever thought that was a good idea for a city that gets rough winters clearly was not thinking.

The Dundas Street exit on the N/W corner is bad for this, I've slipped on that a few times in snowy weather.

Wellesley Station

The four bus bays on the east and west side of the bus loading areas and the front entrance to the station on Wellesley Street now have all automatic sliding doors operational now. It's not a big deal but it's a step up for this decrepit station.

Back