News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

sungs

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I am hoping for insight as to where I can find a decent bed for a condo (ie. one with drawers so I can maximize space). I heard of Space, but I'm not interested in spending 4K on a bed!! :eek:

Anything more reasonable for a lower price range, yet more durable than something from Ikea? Or does Ikea have quality beds?

Thanks for your insights!

Get a skid (or wooden pallet if that's what you prefer to call them). Cost = free.

Sand it and varnish it--cost = $25?

Find a free old wooden chair on the street, take legs and cut them off about a foot high. Take your drill (a power tool set is always handy and costs under $50 for decent quality) and drill holes in each leg and corners of the skid. Insert heavy duty screws/bolts from Home Depot (cost maybe $8.)

Get some baskets in Chinatown and put under the bed. Or, get drawers from a used (craigslist is a good place to look, or funkier from Value Village etc) dresser, sliders from HD and mount under skid/bed frame.

Total cost: under $100 including 4 hours labour, looks so much more original than Ikea and is in fact an Urbandreamer Design.

Casalife in Liberty Village has storage beds about half the price as Space. Blvd Interior on Queen St W also has a small selection of these kind of beds.

Why are storage beds necessary? If you get a traditional mattress + boxspring + "metal frame", you'll notice there is ample space under the frame (i.e. under your bed). You can find low-profile storage containers at various shops which you can place under the bed, thus providing storage.
On the plus side, it's much more comfortable to sleep on a mattress/boxspring than a storage bed or a "slat bed".

Bedrooms are getting smaller and smaller; soon we'll have to sleep in Jolly Jumpers hanging in door frames.

Why are storage beds necessary? If you get a traditional mattress + boxspring + "metal frame", you'll notice there is ample space under the frame (i.e. under your bed). You can find low-profile storage containers at various shops which you can place under the bed, thus providing storage.

They're not necessary, but certainly more desirable than that option. I know the storage containers that you're speaking of and that's certainly a good solution if you already have a bed and don't want to incur the extra expense. But since condo living requires utilizing every square foot that you have then a storage bed is certainly the best solution, IMHO. You're able to utilize virtually every square inch of space underneath your bed in the most functional manner.

On the plus side, it's much more comfortable to sleep on a mattress/boxspring than a storage bed or a "slat bed".

I won't doubt you on this. But is it true? I'm in the market for a storage bed which will be a "slat bed". I've heard good things. But is one "much" more comfortable than the other? I think it all depends on the mattress that you buy and then it further becomes a comparison of the boxspring that you buy vs the slats on the bed you might choose.

There is zero difference in comfort between a platform/slat bed - or one made in the way that UD suggested - and one with a boxspring. Boxsprings and their explanations are complete bed industry made up garbage. It's one of the most corrupt industries that exists. Why do you think box springs cost next to nothing? Because they're worth next to nothing. They are also mostly unique to Canada and the US - very few places in the rest of the world use them.

There is zero difference in comfort between a platform/slat bed - or one made in the way that UD suggested - and one with a boxspring. Boxsprings and their explanations are complete bed industry made up garbage. It's one of the most corrupt industries that exists. Why do you think box springs cost next to nothing? Because they're worth next to nothing. They are also mostly unique to Canada and the US - very few places in the rest of the world use them.

Dude, I've tried sleeping in bed(s) based on an IKEA "slat" frame. It was very uncomfortable. Nothing like my mattress/boxspring combo I have at home.
It could be due to the gap between the slats.
Platform beds probably are not as bad...as long as it's a perfectly flat surface without any gaps.

IKEA and EQ3 has different wooden slat platforms to choose from, the more expensive ones have more slats with tensioners to adjust the flexibility of the slats to create different firmness zones (good if you need more support at your back).
I personally think box springs are a waste of space and money, all you need is a decent platform or quality slatted base.

I like the storage beds that have a lift mechanism to reveal the space underneith. Drawers could be cumbersome especially if you don't have enough room to pull out the drawers (walls, night stand, and other furniture could get in the way), but has their advantages if you need to access them more frequently. The lift mechanism is good for storing seasonal items in those large Rubbermaid containers.
I don't think IKEA's storage beds (which has a lift mechanism) has a choice slats, so you can't upgrade to a better platform -- Their frame is rather cheap and is constructed of particle board with a fabric cover stapled over it.

I like the storage beds that have a lift mechanism to reveal the space underneith. Drawers could be cumbersome especially if you don't have enough room to pull out the drawers (walls, night stand, and other furniture could get in the way), but has their advantages if you need to access them more frequently. The lift mechanism is good for storing seasonal items in those large Rubbermaid containers.

I've been wondering about those storage beds. So far, I've only been considering drawers since I *imagine* it's more difficult to lift the entire mattress and then I can only assume there is something to keep it standing up while rummaging below. I have no experience with these at all, but it would be a dissappointment to move into a unit only to find that there is no room for opening drawers.

Is it easy to lift up or is it a bit cumbersome and, as such, best for seasonal items?

Back