News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Queen West from University to Spadina isn't dying, it's dead - in terms of anything interesting, just as predicted when people were worried about the influx of chain stores like the gap, footlocker, hmv, etc. - it's essentially an outdoor Eaton Centre now. Spadina to Bathurst is still ok with some cool stuff, but the real spirit of the "old" Queen West is alive and well from Bathurst to Gladstone - West Queen West.

But back to the topic at hand, I agree that this hotel will be in a great location and we have too few like it in TO. I also like its current rendering. It'd be cool to see into the hotel rooms and for those inside to have a massive expanse of floor to ceiling glass to look out onto the streetscape below.

... though the "old" Queen Street West that some are nostalgic for is actually a comparatively recent phenomenon. When I was at OCA in the early '70s it hadn't yet been born. New places like this hotel represent the kind of evolution of such neighbourhoods that doesn't strike me as out of line with what one would expect.

I know a few landlords and tenants on Queen between University and Bathurst. A large portion (sometimes all) is the result of cap creep.

"cap creep" care to elaborate? :)

Regarding dieing vs not dieing.

I was simply referring to the following:
# of vacancies
+
Pedestrian activity.

If that's not declining then Queen W is NOT dieing.

I thought people were implying that the above was taking place i.e. stores are moving out + less people.

The influx of chain stores is a completely different issue although yes, some might associate that with dieing :) I won't get into that debate but you'd be better off using the word "changing" or "changing for the worse" in that case.

"cap creep" care to elaborate? :)

Cap creep refers to the cap on non residential tax increases brought by the move to CVA. It is like Dukes old place on Queen. Before the fire they were paying $15,000 per year in property taxes. If their taxes were uncapped they would have been expected to pay $90,000 per year*. The city is allowed to move towards the uncapped amount by 5% per year.

* this assumes that the tax burden will not effect property value, which is ridiculous. Many in the city believe that to be the case though, despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

http://southofsteeles.blogspot.com/2008/04/death-by-fire-then-death-by-taxes.html

The east Queen West is far from dead other than as a nostalgic point of view. Sure, it's a very different street scene from the machine shops and diners of the 60s. The street is very much alive with originals such as The Rex, Queen Mother and Pages to the east, and then the 'boulevard' portion to Spadina with the Black Bull, Peter Pan, The Horseshoe and the mall stores. OK, the rising rent has forced independents out, such as the recent lamentable demise of 50s classic The Stem, but this is how cities grow. That the 70s and 80s Queen West is now further west is just part of healthy expansion of the downtown core. If foot traffic is any indicator, I think east Queen West is doing just fine.

I find it odd how many empty buildings there are in that area, and how long it took for work to begin on HQ. It must have been three or four years since I first saw a sign indicating plans to build a boutique hotel in this location. Since the two buildings next door emptied out I figured the developer wanted to expand the hotel. But no, and those buildings are still empty.

Also across the street where Penguin Music used to be has been emptying out for the last year or two with no sign of development planned. I'm sure there must be some logic to this, but if I owned the property I'd want to minimize the time these properties were sitting there vacant.

I don't normally comment on spelling, but when one sees one word spelt incorrectly over and over again...

the word is 'dying'. Taal, you need a spell-checker.

I don't normally comment on spelling, but when one sees one word spelt incorrectly over and over again...

Stupid condensed exam schedule at YorkU is getting to me already.

Forget about Queen W "dying" I am!

Thanks interchange :)

Sorry you were caught up in that strike Taal - what a crappy situation then, and now too.

I find it odd how many empty buildings there are in that area, and how long it took for work to begin on HQ. It must have been three or four years since I first saw a sign indicating plans to build a boutique hotel in this location. Since the two buildings next door emptied out I figured the developer wanted to expand the hotel. But no, and those buildings are still empty.

329-333 Queen Street West went to the Committee of Adjustment on Feb 4/09. A three-storey Guess / Marciano store.

That area is being studied as the Queen Street West Heritage Conservation District (not sure if officially approved yet) and the south side of Queen at that location falls into the King-Spadina Secondary Plan, so I imagine all that just adds to the development time.

Sorry you were caught up in that strike Taal - what a crappy situation then, and now too.

Ah tell me about it. I'm not one to talk though, it barely effected me!
I took courses at Ryerson to make up for my winter term so I can graduate and start a job I accepted last year come May!

For others though it's been really bad - I know a few people who had job offers but were taken away when the employer learned that they were going to be delayed 2/3 months (ones that would have graduated this fall term that is).

Anyway, sorry for the rant - back to the un-dying Queen W :)

That same size and scale of building would be perfect for the Queen West fire site.

Hoping something similar eventually gets built there.

God I hope you're kidding...cause the word is "spelled". Spelt is a type of grain.

spell |spel|
verb ( past and past part. spelled |speld| or chiefly Brit. spelt |spelt|) [ trans. ]

...so you can use spelled or spelt, but you can't eat spelled, very true

Back