News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Honestly, if the government is so serious about energy consumption, why don't they change the building code to reflect that concern?

They just did... provisions coming into effect this year have a number of significant energy efficient improvements and provisions coming into effect at the end of 2011 will make the OBC among the most stringent in North America (and the only one in North America requiring energy targets to be achieved). The Green Energy Act also contains language directing the next round of OBC changes (technical committees start up at the end of this year) to once again focus heavily on energy.

The purpose of the energy audits are to provide greater consumer disclosure. The concern is less to do with newer energy efficient homes and more to do with the 4.8 million existing homes in Ontario - especially the older ones that leak air and suck up all kinds of energy. The government is attempting to ensure energy efficiency is part of the home buying decision making process rather than just the granite counter tops. It will also encourage people to conduct renovations targeted at reducing energy consumption prior to the sale of a home.

Ontario residences account for close to a third of the energy consumption in Ontario - if we as a province are serious about conserving energy - older homes are the first place one should be looking.

You're not Canadian, you just live here?
Never implied that. I said I can't stand the way Canadian let the government push them around. I never said I'm not Canadian.
Of course, everything is better in the UK...
You may think that, but I never gave any opinion any which way. Honestly, I was a kid when I left the UK, and do not have enough experience there to garner an opinion. Perhaps you have lived there as an adult and homeowner, and thus know more than the little and only hearsay info from my relatives that I can contribute.

Never implied that. I said I can't stand the way Canadian let the government push them around. I never said I'm not Canadian.

I guess it's your general sweeping statements, generalizations and condecending attitude that make you the hypocrite that you are.

You may think that,

I don't, and you're way late to the party.

I don't understand why they just don't up the construction standards for homes. How about updating R-2000 and making it mandatory for new homes? Or how about requiring LEED certification for all new multi-unit dwellings, etc? That would make a dent in our energy consumption.

After doing all that, I could understand implementing an audit policy for uncertified residences. As it stands right now, this policy is a straight out tax grab. It will barely make a difference when it comes to energy use and the environment.

I'm sure the homebuilders association would have a total hissy fit if the government fixed the building code so they had to build higher quality houses. Something about the market wanting cheap, poorly constructed housing?

EnerGuide Rating Label

After the audit, the home will get a label:
large-label2.gif

The EnerGuide rating label shows useful information about your home's energy use and provides you with a record of the name and address of your EnerGuide energy advisor. It can be displayed on your home's furnace or electrical box.

How Does the Rating System Work?

Your home's energy efficiency level is rated on a scale of 0 to 100. A rating of 0 represents a home with major air leakage, no insulation and extremely high energy consumption. A rating of 100 represents a house that is airtight, well insulated and sufficiently ventilated and requires no purchased energy.

EnerGuide Rating Chart
Type of House Rating
Older house not upgraded 0 to 50
Upgraded old house 51 to 65
Energy-efficient upgraded old house or typical new house 66 to 74
Energy-efficient new house 75 to 79
Highly energy-efficient new house 80 to 90
An "advanced house" that uses little or no purchased energy 91 to 100

For a brand new house, a rating of 80 or higher is excellent.

From Natural Resources Canada.

I'm sure the homebuilders association would have a total hissy fit if the government fixed the building code so they had to build higher quality houses. Something about the market wanting cheap, poorly constructed housing?

The government could always offer GST rebates or other tax breaks for well built homes. At a very minimum I'd like to see the municipal governments in the GTA demand that all new condos be LEED certified. As soon as a couple achieve that, and the public knows more we'll start getting LEED platinum condos in no time.

This is rather silly, and really badly thought out. A smaller house, even one that is older and less efficient, will save a lot more energy than a new, energy 'efficient' McMansion.

It's like the difference between a Ford SUV hybrid and a Toyota Echo. Of course, I'd bet the SUV hybrid would, as a hybrid, get access to HOV lanes under the last Liberal environment minister's policy (remember her?), but not the tiny little hatchback.

I think instead of this dumb mandatory energy audit, incentives and education are a better bet as well as building code improvements. It feels like yet another McGuinty Nanny State idea - perhaps with good intentions but not thought through - kind of like all the Highway Traffic Act and licensing changes.

Last edited:
They just did... provisions coming into effect this year have a number of significant energy efficient improvements and provisions coming into effect at the end of 2011 will make the OBC among the most stringent in North America (and the only one in North America requiring energy targets to be achieved).

And the seller of one of those homes will presumably also have to pay for such an audit as well.

This audit plan is mostly optics. It's the appearance of doing something.

I don't understand why they just don't up the construction standards for homes. How about updating R-2000 and making it mandatory for new homes? Or how about requiring LEED certification for all new multi-unit dwellings, etc? That would make a dent in our energy consumption.

As I suggested earlier the issue is more the 4.8 million existing homes in Ontario rather than the 60,000 new ones that with the OBC as a minimum standard are among the most energy efficient in North America (many builders voluntarily participate in programs such as EnergyStar, GreenHouse and LEED as a competitive advantage).

Significantly increasing costs through mandated programs does have an impact on affordability and the government has to evaluate where the best balance is. If mandated highly energy efficient homes (LEED Platinum has only been achieved in a handful of homes in this province - it is very very expensive and difficult requiring highly specialized trades) become a new standard than many people won't be able to afford them and just buy resale... so are we actually getting ahead if few people buy super energy efficient LEED platinum homes and most people shift to purchase cheaper energy hogs built decades ago?

Mandating expensive LEED Platinum homes that few people can afford won't solve any problems if purchasers are directed to older existing housing stock - we should be slowly upping standards and constantly renewing & improving our housing stock.

I agree with your general comment, Mike in TO, but I really think the government's 'solution' is half-baked, politically stupid, and not necessarily effective and only adds to the cost of selling a home without necessarily any effective change.

Mike,

I never said homes have to be LEED platinum. I recognize that achieving that level of certification would be an expensive proposition. But surely our cities can require that all new multi-storey dwellings require LEED-H certification (lowest level) just like Miller's plans for homes in Toronto:

http://dcnonl.com/article/id28782

In fact, I'd probably go further and demand that all buildings meet LEED certified minimum. This is not so much of a stretch when there are cities in the US that are demanding that all new multi-storey construction meet LEED Silver or Gold.

As to the argument about cost. Most analysts agree that LEED certification only adds between 1.5% - 3% to the cost of building a certified building:

http://www.cleanair-coolplanet.org/for_communities/LEED_links/AnalyzingtheCostofLEED.pdf

I really don't think home ownership and affordability would tumble if builders added that much at once. Miller added just as big an increment with his land transfer tax in one shot. Moreover, occupiers would actually benefit from lower energy costs in the long run. I am not even convinced that this small increment will get passed on to the consumer. Developers charge what the market will bare. Increased costs from construction standards may not be passed on if the market will not bare the additional costs. It is the developer who might have to bear the costs. In the worst case scenario, we can as you pointed out have government policies in place to soften the blow and reset the cost burden of higher standards. Lastly on this point I would also add that Canadians who repaeatedly cite their concern for the environment and global warming should put their money where their mouth is and accept the cost of better built homes that use less energy.

As to your assertion that mandating won't do much. I disagree. You suggest that many developers do participate in such programs. I don't see too many LEED Certified/Bronze condos on the market. And I certainly haven't come across too many LEED certified low rise home builders. Have a look at the list of LEED for Homes builders:

http://www.canadagreenhomeguide.ca/providers.aspx
http://www.cagbc.org/leed_ap/directory.htm?keywords=&area_of_practice=12&province=ON&country=CA

None of our major developers from Ontario are listed on there. And if you have a look at board listings for the CaGBC there are several major developers again who are not participating. I think mandating their participation is necessary if they aren't going to do it voluntarily.

As for addressing the current home stock, I don't see how making someone get a sticker that says their 100 year old home is not super energy efficient will change much. It might change pricing a little and might add some efficiency as homeowners who do improve the efficiency of their home will finally benefit from their efforts. But as far drastically reducing emissions, that requires us to adopt much more stringent standards on all new construction not just homes. As far as I can see, the province is taking a pass on making that kind of real effort in favour of damaging home prices for existing homeowners while letting developers off the hook. I can't wait to see the reactions once this is rolled out and a lot of owners of older homes take a huge hit in home values based on the sticker on the side of their house.

Last edited:

Back