With the airport...it has existed for over 50 years,
It was opened in 1939 (construction on a tunnel to the island was actually started in 1935 and then stopped), so it would have been a big issue in the 1930s. http://www.torontoport.com/airport_history.asp?id=162

the island airport was handling close to the amount of passengers they have now
I believe it peaked at around 400,000. Hard to imagine all those people with the old ferry and terminal.

The whole process is designed to let the port authority approve the tunnel and get on with the construction despite opposition from the community

Now thats a good one...whats new .:eek:

Airport tunnel impact minimal, residents told

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/899531--airport-tunnel-impact-minimal-residents-told

The whole process is designed to let the port authority approve the tunnel and get on with the construction despite opposition from the community

Now thats a good one...whats new .:eek:

Airport tunnel impact minimal, residents told

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/899531--airport-tunnel-impact-minimal-residents-told

Though it sounds a lot like the Transit City EA process. Contraints and restrictions set up in order to reach the preferred (already announced) plan.

Hydraulic problem delays ferry service to island airport

A hydraulic problem delayed and stranded hundreds of ferry passengers to the Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport on Friday evening.

The problem involved a disabled ferry stuck in the waters between the Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport and downtown Toronto for about one hour after 7 p.m.

The ferry eventually made it back to the mainland; however there are major delays, because of the back log.

The Toronto Port Authority says there wasn't a problem with the ferry but with the hydraulic system, which wouldn't allow people to get off the ferry.

There is a 45 minute delay for passengers

http://www.cp24.com/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20101217/101217_island/20101217/?hub=CP24Home

Just how much did the city pay out for cancelling the Island Airport bridge???

Actually, being open-minded, I've looked into this. The answer to your question is, apparently, nothing. Presumably this would be because the City did not breach any contracts or covenants, since none had been entered into.

So you might want do a little reading before building straw man arguments, since you either neglegently or dishonestly fed this thread misinformation.

I have an issue with people supporting Miller spending to cancel the bridge (it was his mandate), while deriding another (Ford and Transit City) when we don't even know if or how much the city will pay out for terminating it's contracts. To me it smacks of partisanship: Approving of one mayor's wastefull spending while deriding another just because you fall on the former's side of the political spectrum.

Your position has now been shown to rest on false premises: it cannot stand.

And I'm always humoured by the "don't criticize Ford until he really fucks up" lectures that invariably come from Ford supporters, especially when they accuse others of partisanship.

Good luck with your next posts, Woodbridge Heights. I sure hope they're better thought out than these were.

Actually, being open-minded, I've looked into this. The answer to your question is, apparently, nothing. Presumably this would be because the City did not breach any contracts or covenants, since none had been entered into.

So you might want do a little reading before building straw man arguments, since you either neglegently or dishonestly fed this thread misinformation.

Your position has now been shown to rest on false premises: it cannot stand.

And I'm always humoured by the "don't criticize Ford until he really fucks up" lectures that invariably come from Ford supporters, especially when they accuse others of partisanship.

Good luck with your next posts, Woodbridge Heights. I sure hope they're better thought out than these were.

Perhaps you'd like to educate me then on who paid out the $35 million to cancel the bridge, the feds? Isn't federal money still taxpayers money? I wonder how Calgary taxpayers felt about their taxes going towards cancelling the bridge, a decision made by the mayor not an MP.

On the other side, just how much of the construction costs is Toronto proper (the municipality) footing? Aren't Sheppard and Eglinton almost all if not totally funded by the province? So the situation is the same, the city mayor makes a decesion that will (may) result in senior levels of government (province) having to pay out cancellation penalties. As I said should that situation arise than Ford would/should have no other choice but to continue with the current plan.

For the record I never said I was a Ford supporter. In fact I think he's a bit of a loud mouth who succeeded in creating a brand of penny pinching as a foil to Miller's precieved free spending ways. He was able to ride that brand and the desire for change away from Miller to office plain and simple.

Oh stop your mewling and quit building straw men.

Your original canard was:

Just how much did the city pay out for cancelling the Island Airport bridge???

The answer has clearly been shown to be: nothing.

Your latest canards are:

Perhaps you'd like to educate me then on who paid out the $35 million to cancel the bridge, the feds?

If you read carefully, there were no cancellation fees of any kind. So the correct answer to your question is: no-one.

Isn't federal money still taxpayers money? I wonder how Calgary taxpayers felt about their taxes going towards cancelling the bridge, a decision made by the mayor not an MP.

Once again, you erroneously assert that there was some kind of cancellation fee when there wasn't. Their taxes therefore clearly did not go towards cancelling a bridge.

And contrary to your assertions, I believe that any federal monies disbursed are ultimately decisions made by Her Majesty the Queen in Right of Canada. So any such decision must necessarily be made or endorsed by a MP -- and you have wrongly built a straw man.

On the other side, just how much of the construction costs is Toronto proper (the municipality) footing? Aren't Sheppard and Eglinton almost all if not totally funded by the province? So the situation is the same, the city mayor makes a decesion that will (may) result in senior levels of government (province) having to pay out cancellation penalties.

Perhaps you should go do some research and come back with the cogent and reasoned factual arguments that have been wholly absent from your posts. As stated above, the situation is clearly not the same. Your assertions have been predicated upon disingenuous misrepresentations or vapid misunderstandings. And your positions have been shown to be without merit.

But attention to detail really isn't your forte, is it?

Fact: The federal government paid/transferred $35 million to Deluce(Porter), Aecon, and Stolport in settlement of a $505 million lawsuit initiated by Deluce. This was a direct result of the mayor cancelling the bridge project.

Is this or is this not effectively a cancellation fee?

E D U C A T E M E O H G R E A T O N E

Back