If it acts like a duck and quacks like a duck....

A rose by any other name....

Sorry "sucky baby" but I've got to side with Northern here. A cancellation fee is not the same as a financial judgement in a lawsuit. A fee is an agreement between two or more parties to pay for something in return or concerning terms of a contract (such as cancellation fees - which don't apply here), while a lawsuit's financial judgment is a punishment or consequence enforced by law for causing injury to another party. Hardly a case of equal ducks here.

why do they need am elevator? Just use escalators and walkways. The elevator can be for the handicapped. I can't believe it is such a problem to build such a shortt tunnel. Porter is complicating it unnecessarily.

why do they need am elevator? Just use escalators and walkways.
It could be that the horizontal room that is required for escalators isn't there. The tunnel is going to be pretty deep but without much room at either end.

In other news, it looks like Air Canada's Toronto Island service will not be starting in February after all as they are having trouble coming to a deal for terminal space.
http://www.canada.com/business/fp/Canada+island+debut+delayed/4135739/story.html
The country's largest carrier said Wednesday its talks continue with the terminal's operator, City Centre Terminal Corp., which is also owned by Bob Deluce, the chief executive of its rival, Porter Airlines Inc. But the parties have yet to come to an agreement, which makes Air Canada's planned return to the Island airport in February an impossibility....Air Canada had tried to establish its own terminal on the Island, but that was blocked by the TPA, which has entered into an exclusive agreement with CCTC that prohibits new carriers from using the Billy Bishop airport without using the recently expanded $50-million terminal.

The country's largest carrier said Wednesday its talks continue with the terminal's operator, City Centre Terminal Corp., which is also owned by Bob Deluce, the chief executive of its rival, Porter Airlines Inc. But the parties have yet to come to an agreement, which makes Air Canada's planned return to the Island airport in February an impossibility....Air Canada had tried to establish its own terminal on the Island, but that was blocked by the TPA, which has entered into an exclusive agreement with CCTC that prohibits new carriers from using the Billy Bishop airport without using the recently expanded $50-million terminal

Lol that's a nice way to ensure a monopoly!

People with mobility issues could take the ferry. As I understand, they are not proposing to eliminate ferry service -- although it may move to a reduced schedule. (it will still be needed to facilitate vehicle traffic).

True, if the ferry is to continue. Heck, if they're going to have the ferry AND a tunnel, why not throw up a bridge too? :)

One reason is that there is a federal regulation banning the building of a bridge. Of course, the regulation could be changed, but you would have to convince the federal government that it is worth taking the heat of reopening the issue.

On the other hand, if they could start building a bridge and then get paid again to stop building it, that would help with cash flow. If they could not build 5 bridges, they could get rid of the airport improvement fee.

And Monorail!
I would like to see the airport access included in both the Waterfront redevelopment strategy and in future TTC plans. While a subway to the airport isn't likely, they could at least reroute the Queens Quay streetcars past the ferry terminal. What if the Bathurst streetcar terminated at the airport instead of the Ex? Does anyone actually take the streetcar to the Ex (outside of August)?

The QQ streetcar that goes to the Ex services the condos being built along Lake Shore. It's busy and getting busier. I don't use the Bathurst streetcar that goes to the Ex but I expect it's the same thing; whenever I'm along Lake Shore, I see a number of people getting on/off the streetcar along Fleet St.

Currently, you can take the 509 Ex car from Union and get off at Bathurst and QQ, so it's just a short walk to the terminal. To extend the streetcar lines south on Bathurst from QQ would require space for a turnaround; I'm not sure that there's room unless they took up a large chunk of the park.

I also don't know if that's needed since the Porter shuttle bus goes quite regularly.

Back