Sorry "sucky baby" but I've got to side with Northern here. A cancellation fee is not the same as a financial judgement in a lawsuit. A fee is an agreement between two or more parties to pay for something in return or concerning terms of a contract (such as cancellation fees - which don't apply here), while a lawsuit's financial judgment is a punishment or consequence enforced by law for causing injury to another party. Hardly a case of equal ducks here.

You're quite correct, although for the record I'd point out that it wasn't even a financial judgment but a choice by the feds to settle a lawsuit, acting within their discretion. Simply put, there were no pre-existing contractual obligations of any kind, unlike the current situation. And, while I haven't seen the pleadings, media reports appear to suggest that Deluce was arguing the tort of malfeasance of public office. In which case I would have wished him a lot of luck.

If it acts like a duck and quacks like a duck....

A rose by any other name....

So ... no. But thanks for trying anyway.

Air Canada delays Toronto Island airport launch

OTTAWA - Air Canada Inc has no schedule for starting to fly from Toronto’s downtown airport after failing to reach a deal with the terminal operator in time for the February launch it had planned.

The country’s No. 1 airline said negotiations are continuing with City Centre Terminal Corp to lease space at Billy Bishop Airport, but it would not identify the issues in contention.

Billy Bishop is a small airport on Toronto Island in Lake Ontario, close to the city’s core.

“We are not in a position to confirm a revised timeline for start-up, but suffice it to say we look forward to resuming service as soon as possible,†Air Canada spokesman Peter Fitzpatrick said.

The airline had planned to offer up to 15 daily nonstop flights from the airport.

Air Canada flights will be operated by Sky Regional Airlines Inc, a switch from Air Canada’s regional carrier, Chorus Aviation Inc, which flew from the airport until 2006 under its previous name Jazz Air.

Sky is a regional operator that won Air Canada’s competitive bid to operate the Island airport service.

Air Canada has said flights will be operated with Bombardier Q400 turboprop aircraft and that it intends to lease five of the planes.

Privately owned regional carrier Porter Airlines currently has a monopoly on flights from the Island airport. Porter Chief Executive Robert Deluce also heads City Center Terminal Corp, which is in talks with Air Canada.

Deluce said the negotiations are confidential and he could not discuss details.

“We understand that Sky Regional is still in the process of finalizing licensing with Transport Canada,†he said. “This licensing is required before any service can begin.â€

Air Canada lost a court fight last summer against the Toronto Port Authority, the federal agency that owns and operates the Island airport, and Porter Airlines to get additional flying slots at Billy Bishop.

The port authority announced in June that Porter had secured 44 of 90 new slots, Air Canada 30, and U.S.-based Continental Airlines Inc 16.

Air Canada had argued the allocation process was flawed.

Air Canada shares were down 2.6% at $3.00 on the Toronto Stock Exchange Friday afternoon.

http://www.torontosun.com/money/2011/01/21/16981751.html

Currently, you can take the 509 Ex car from Union and get off at Bathurst and QQ, so it's just a short walk to the terminal. To extend the streetcar lines south on Bathurst from QQ would require space for a turnaround; I'm not sure that there's room unless they took up a large chunk of the park.
It's a short walk when you don't have a suitcase. When you do, it is, particularly to an airport marketed as a superior travel experience and a climate with -20C and +35C to account for. Streetcars would also be hobbled by queues at Ex time and (from Union) for Island Ferry queueing - not in line with what Porter/TPA have marketed the Island Airport Experience as.

The other issues with expanding transit to Eireann Quay from Union and Bathurst, even with buses:

1. The Mayor might like it, the ward Councillor will hate it and will almost certainly create entertainment for the City Hall press corps when it came before the Commission.
  2. Ideally the TPA would commit to defraying the cost by paying for vehicle wraps and to have fare vending on site to speed boarding, since it would be saving Porter the cost of their shuttle and would be claimed by Councillor Vaughan to be thereby subsidising The Evil That Is Deluce - although with AC and CO likely to arrive on the island soon that might have changed anyway.
  3. Taxis and cars destined for the ferry already create a blockage along the Quay road so how would transit get priority?
One thing it would be nice to see as part of this would be TTC investing in purpose built buses for 58, 192 and this service with wider doors and easier luggage management. Unfortunately if it isn't an Orion VII the TTC won't buy it, it seems...

It's a short walk when you don't have a suitcase. When you do, it is, particularly to an airport marketed as a superior travel experience and a climate with -20C and +35C to account for. Streetcars would also be hobbled by queues at Ex time and (from Union) for Island Ferry queueing - not in line with what Porter/TPA have marketed the Island Airport Experience as.

But for that experience they have already provided their own free shuttle. Surely a slightly less convenient public transit option should not be weighed/judged against that. The streetcar is another option....just that.

I live on QQ and I walk to Porter with a suitcase. I don't find it onerous. I see people every day walking from the streetcar or from the parking lot on QQ with suitcases. No one seems to find it a big issue. For those that aren't as mobile or choose not to walk, there are the other options such as the shuttle or a cab. Personally, I find transportation to/from the island airport so much simpler and quicker than to Pearson.

PinkLucy - in the main I would agree with you but if you have dragged your suitcase onto and off of transit, possibly including one or two prior changes, I imagine it would be a bit wearing. Good for you (no sarcasm) for using the active option but others won't. As I mentioned above, the cab queueing issue is a problem which the Councillor is using as a lever and it would be best if we could move towards more mass transit there. Some people will take cabs, yes, but the key is to offer an option attractive enough to create modal shift given the additional demand CO and AC will create. For example, when my parents visit they sometimes route via EWR to YYZ. If CO successfully start to YTZ I will definitely look to make their connection arrive there (especially being Irish the notion of arriving at Eireann Quay will be nice).

If we're going to spend billions getting trains and LRVs to Pearson I don't see why we can't spend a few millions on making YTZ more sustainable and convenient by creating something like a Bathurst-Ferry Dock-Queens Quay ROW-Simcoe bus routing (to keep the Ex crowds and the Ferry crowds off it but also provide an alternative for those living along Queens Quay to avoid those queues too)

PinkLucy - in the main I would agree with you but if you have dragged your suitcase onto and off of transit, possibly including one or two prior changes, I imagine it would be a bit wearing. Good for you (no sarcasm) for using the active option but others won't.
Yes, I've done it, many a time. Both here and in Europe, on the subway, Metro, Tube and train system. I know you don't agree, but I don't see it as a huge impediment -- this morning, in very cold wind, I saw six people walking with suitcases toward the airport. No one seemed put out. And that's not an exceptional morning. I know quite a few people who've used Porter, and I've never heard anyone complain about the transportation options. Nothing is perfect, and not everyone will like it, but it seems to be meeting needs. Until that changes, it's not likely we're going to see big bucks spent on the type of thing you're suggesting.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...toronto-island-airport-tunnel/article1904364/

The federal government is moving forward to amend the Canada Marine Act regulations to remove the restriction against a "bridge or similar fixed link"

The current regulation was put in place by Paul Martin's Government in 2005:
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/SOR-2005-120/FullText.html
1. The Toronto Port Authority shall not use, or authorize or permit another person to use, the port to build a bridge or similar fixed link between the mainland of the City of Toronto and the Toronto Islands.

EDIT: note that the similar restriction that had been in the Tripartite Agreement was removed with agreement by all parties in October 2003. The current restriction is simply a federal regulation and can be undone by the federal cabinet.

EDIT2: Rereading the regulation, it does not appear to not restrict the TPA from building a bridge, just that it can't "use the port" to do so. As long as they bring in the materials by truck and not by boat and don't go anywhere near Cherry Beach, they should be fine. I think the current wording would restrict them from building a bridge from Cherry Street to Wards Island, though. Is the airport part of "the port"? Or are the airport and port distinct businesses operated by the TPA?

Last edited:
Porter is increasing service on a number of routers starting in mid-April.

The Montreal-Halifax route will operate year-round with up to two daily non-stop roundtrip flights, increased from four weekly flights. This service also makes possible one daily roundtrip flight between St. John's and Montreal, connecting in Halifax.

Daily service from Moncton to Ottawa, continuing to Porter's downtown base at Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport offers increased travel options. Porter is offering one daily roundtrip flight, plus two roundtrips on Sunday, up from four weekly flights. The summer schedule on this route, beginning June 27, includes a seasonal increase with up to two daily roundtrip flights

Service between Ottawa and Toronto is also increasing to as many as 21 daily roundtrip flights, up from a previous peak of 19. This is the highest number of daily flights on the route for Porter since it began in 2006.

Has anyone noticed that their fares are creeping up? YTZ-YOW flights seem to run between $200-300 one-way before tax and fees for the next few weeks.

Has anyone been in the new terminal yet? How is it compared to the older Porter terminal? I've flown out of the old one three times and found it nice, but crowded, and the path to the plane boarding lacking.

More Porter news:
London International Airport is in talks with Porter Airlines that may see it add service by the spring, Steve Baker, airport chief executive, said Tuesday,v"We were speaking to Porter as recently as a week ago and we are looking to get hub service from Toronto city centre," said Baker.

http://travel.canoe.ca/Travel/News/2011/02/16/17295486.html

Also, a new Porter discount code is active: HOCKEY30 for 30% off. Book by February 23rd for travel between March 3rd and June 26th.

Has anyone been in the new terminal yet? How is it compared to the older Porter terminal?

It is much the same -- it is now divided into two separate lounges, one for Canadian destinations and one for US destinations. They can get busy in the peak times, but most people aren't there for very long. Most of the gates are only steps away from the lounge.

Last edited:
I'm curious how the airport terminal will work once the other carriers start service. Will they share the same lounges as Porter? I really can't see it.

I'm curious how the airport terminal will work once the other carriers start service. Will they share the same lounges as Porter? I really can't see it.
My understanding is that all airlines would share the lounges. The costs of keeping it stocked with drinks and such would be included as part of their rent.

It looks like Porter will be starting service to Windsor in the spring:
http://www.windsorstar.com/Porter+Airlines+coming+city/4344767/story.html
Porter Airlines is expected to offer three flights a day to Toronto out of Windsor Airport by late April. The announcement will be made today, said a source who didn't want to be named.

In other news, it appears that Air Canada Jazz will be putting 74-seat Q400s on their Pearson-Thunder Bay and Pearson-Quebec City routes starting in June. This removes another competitive advantage that Air Canada had for people that prefer jet engines over propellers.

EDIT: In addition to Windsor(Apr 27), they will be starting up service to Sault Ste. Marie (May 4) and moving to twice-a-day on the Sudbury route (Apr 27).
https://www.flyporter.com/About/News-Release-Details?id=138&culture=en-CA

Last edited:

Back