In my opinion - scale/size of the park, range of the facilities (gardens, open grassland, forest, playgrounds, sports facilities etc) and location - something that Toronto lacks in the downtown at present. Something that both tourists and locals will travel to especially.

Toronto Islands is too far from downtown, the new Portlands park may be considered a destination park.
While I think that the Centre Island experience could do with a facelift, it is still very popular and most definitely a popular destination.

Toronto Islands is too far from downtown, the new Portlands park may be considered a destination park.
It’s absolutely a destination park. It does come up very often - both for locals and visitors - as one of the most loved/interesting memories of Toronto.

I do think it should be expanded upon, but understand that people disagree.

It’s absolutely a destination park. It does come up very often - both for locals and visitors - as one of the most loved/interesting memories of Toronto.

I do think it should be expanded upon, but understand that people disagree.
It's a wonderful place - I guess I didn't clarify my point well enough.
You can't visit the islands for just five minutes - it's best to make an afternoon/day of it. Somewhere closer to where people live, and you can come/go as you please.

I guess that's why replacing the airport with an expanded Toronto Islands is so attractive to me - because it would improve the year round access so much!

There is a report coming to city council in December that deals with the Island Airport. The issue seems to be that to upgrade the runway by 2027 decisions need to be made within a year in addition to how much/who pays the 50-130 million. Finally the passenger volumes at the airport are declining and it costs three times the amount to operate a flight here versus Pearson.

There is a report coming to city council in December that deals with the Island Airport. The issue seems to be that to upgrade the runway by 2027 decisions need to be made within a year in addition to how much/who pays the 50-130 million. Finally the passenger volumes at the airport are declining and it costs three times the amount to operate a flight here versus Pearson.

I thought the airport was a federal jurisdiction?

Is that why Porter has started flying out of Pearson?

Is that why Porter has started flying out of Pearson?
Not really. Unless youre a huge flag carrier like Air Canada, an airline that isn't in a constant state of expansion is a dead airline that will be doomed to go out of business. There simply isn't much else service left from BB that Porter can fly to, without jets.

I thought the airport was a federal jurisdiction?

The Airport is the subject of a tri-partate (3-way) deal between all levels of government)

There are complex reasons for this........which I won't delve into in this post. But are discussed elsewhere on UT.

This gives me hope that this thing will be dead by the end of the decade.

The update also mentioned that a few possible scenarios for what would happen to the land the airport currently sits on involve a large regional park and/or a park with residential development. Granville Island and Distillery were also mentioned. I will just mention that I think something Toronto could use is a new, large provincial library on the waterfront similar to what Copenhagen has on it's harbour. Ports Toronto was supposed to provide an update on what it is doing but pulled out at the last minute. 🤔

Close the island airport, convert the land to public space with a pedestrian bridge to the mainland, and invest the money that would have gone into runway upgrades into Hamilton International with the long term goal of turning it into the region's true secondary airport i.e. the GTA's Gatwick.

Close the island airport, convert the land to public space with a pedestrian bridge to the mainland, and invest the money that would have gone into runway upgrades into Hamilton International with the long term goal of turning it into the region's true secondary airport i.e. the GTA's Gatwick.
Or make investments to this airport and its runway and make it like London city airport by the thames. Don't forget Burtonsville airport is closing soon and all those corporate and small private aircraft will need a place to go. Hamilton is too far from the city center and it's probably too busy for the tiny planes.

Back