News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

That looks like the Blackberry they should've released 5 years ago.

I realize the hardware is outsourced, and I suppose they figure they have to appeal to their core audience. However, I can't help but feel they could put out a much more compelling keyboard based product.
IDK, I can’t imagine what more could be added to this keyboard product now.

A better screen (with a more sensible aspect ratio) and a top end camera.
IDK, the dual lens 12 MP camera seems pretty sharp to me. I suppose the aspect ratio has to be in the thin side because of the keyboard - unless they made the phone longer. But I'm not watching vids on my phone, for me this is a texting and imaging machine and I'm happy enough. I have to say, it feels a lot lighter than my Priv or the Nokia 1020 I had before.

I have a KeyOne for my work phone. Its an ok phone. What they need is better processor. The phone gets slow sometimes (low memory).

My previous workphone was a Priv. That phone was an unusable piece of shit.

I have a KeyOne for my work phone. Its an ok phone. What they need is better processor. The phone gets slow sometimes (low memory).

My previous workphone was a Priv. That phone was an unusable piece of shit.

Both the KeyOne (and KeyTwo) use a slow SoC is for power efficiency reasons - otherwise at that price you'd think they should put in a flagship class Snapdragon. I think there is a version with more memory (4GB vs 3GB) though.

AoD

Both the KeyOne (and KeyTwo) use a slow SoC is for power efficiency reasons - otherwise at that price you'd think they should put in a flagship class Snapdragon. I think there is a version with more memory (4GB vs 3GB) though.

AoD
My Key2 is very light, so I assume there’s something missing inside, either battery or processor capability.

My Key2 is very light, so I assume there’s something missing inside, either battery or processor capability.

KeyTwo uses a Snapdragon 660 SoC - it's midrange. Nothing to do with weight though considering how light that element tend to be. I think the battery life is above average relative to various flagship devices out there though.

AoD

For perspective, here's my list of phones from about 2001 onwards....all employer provided.

BlackBerry Quark (my first smart phone, replaced analog, leatherette wrapped Nokia)
BlackBerry Bold (multiple models)
Nokia 920 WP
Nokia 1020 WP
iPhone 6S
Blackberry Priv
Blackberry Key2

My personal burner phone is a pay as you go iPhone 3 that I leave in the car for emergency calls.

This thread just caught my eye since was looking into BB. Half decided new phone will be Key2LE. And there's a nice red version (atomic) that looks quite sharp. But for some odd reason it's not sold in Canada. I don't get it. Why come out with a new phone, show off its three standout colours in ads, but not bloody offer any of those colours to 95% of the world.

BlackBerry CEO says the mobile company’s turnaround has hit a tipping point after near-death experience

PUBLISHED SAT, SEP 14 2019 10:30 AM

Joel Dreyfuss

KEY POINTS
  • BlackBerry, headquartered in Waterloo, Ontario, has revamped itself under Executive Chairman and CEO John Chen.
  • The company that used to control 20% of the mobile phone market has pivoted to mobile network cybersecurity, crisis communications and embedded software.
  • The stock topped $146 on May 1, 2008; now it trades at around $7 a share.
  • Chen says he expects revenues to grow 23% to 27% in fiscal year 2020.

I have to pass on this warning. I got a new BB Key2 last April at Best Buy online. Recently the space bar has been intermittently not working, so I called Blackberry Canada for support. They told me that my phone was registered in the Indian market and therefore not valid for support in Canada. Sure enough, when I looked at the box it came in, it shows some Indian company and address. Obviously Best Buy appears to be involved in some sort of grey market activity here. Today I will email Best Buy HQ and ask for an explanation.

I have to pass on this warning. I got a new BB Key2 last April at Best Buy online. Recently the space bar has been intermittently not working, so I called Blackberry Canada for support. They told me that my phone was registered in the Indian market and therefore not valid for support in Canada. Sure enough, when I looked at the box it came in, it shows some Indian company and address. Obviously Best Buy appears to be involved in some sort of grey market activity here. Today I will email Best Buy HQ and ask for an explanation.

Did you buy from Best Buy proper or some affiliated 3rd party seller through Best Buy?

AoD

Did you buy from Best Buy proper or some affiliated 3rd party seller through Best Buy?

AoD
No, it was bought for me through bestbuy.ca and my older family member didn't notice the third party seller.

Today I called Best Buy. I told the agent that Best Buy is likely facilitating grey market electronic sales, since it's likely Blackberry sold a truckload of phones to the company shown on the box, their Indian distributor at a lower cost (intended for the lower retail priced Indian market), and then the phones were redirected to the higher retail Canadian market. Certainly, the Best Buy webpage for Blackberry phones does not state sold without Canadian warranty or "India market" only. I've contacted the third party through the site, let's see what they reply.

I told Best Buy's agent that right now there are thousands of people buying Christmas gift electronics on Best Best's website, many of whom won't know that Best Best appears to be a conduit for "shady" third party companies that may sell off market and grey market products. It was gift, so I never saw the transaction and I wouldn't have known until I needed warranty support.

Can you imagine asking someone to buy a TV on Costco's website. I'd never think to tell them to make sure it's actually sold and shipped by Costco, just in case Costco pimps out their e-com site to third parties.

Back