News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

BlackBerry banks on new partnerships amid falling sales

Dec 18, 2020

Sales fell at BlackBerry Ltd. in the three months that ended Nov. 30, but the technology company is banking on partnerships with Amazon and Zoom to bring in steady revenue going forward.

The Waterloo, Ont.-based company says it had a net loss of $130 million US, or 23 cents US per share in its latest financial quarter, steeper than the same period last year when it lost $32 million US, or seven cents US per diluted share.

The cybersecurity and internet-of-things company says its revenue was $218 million US during its latest quarter, down from $267 million US in the same period last year.

On an adjusted basis, the company reported earnings of two cents US per share on revenue of $224 million US, better than the adjusted loss of one cent per share US on revenue of $219.72 million US expected by analysts polled by financial services firm Refinitiv.

The company, which this year launched a cybersecurity partnership with video streamer Zoom, says it now expects to end its fiscal year with about $950 million US in adjusted revenue, in line with guidance from earlier this year.

The quarterly report says that BlackBerry's recent deal with Amazon Web Services to develop and market BlackBerry's intelligent vehicle data platform will soon bring in regular revenue over multiple years.

BlackBerry's QNX to power Motional's driverless vehicle platform

Feb 9, 2021

On Tuesday, BlackBerry announced that its QNX Black Channel Communications Technology system will be featured in Motional's next-generation vehicle systems.

"It's a real privilege to contribute our technology to Motional, a leader in developing safe, self-driving vehicles," said John Wall, SVP and co-head at BlackBerry Technology Solutions. "QNX Black Channel Communications Technology supports Motional's mission to deliver 'safety-first' systems in an era in which driverless transportation is evolving at a rapid pace."

Similar to the Baidu partnership, the latest BlackBerry announcement focuses on using QNX capabilities to enhance the driverless vehicle safety systems and performance. Within the Motional platform, the QNX Black Channel Communications Technology encapsulates exchanged system data and validates this information, the press release explained, and by doing so, protects this communication from software and hardware faults and more. Additionally, this system enables the automatic prevention of such failures with "minimal impact on system performance," the release said.

Swedish transport giant, Scania, chooses BlackBerry for its next generation of vehicles

March 26, 2021

Scania AB, with almost 60,000 employees, is a major Swedish manufacturer headquartered in Södertälje, focusing on commercial vehicles—specifically heavy lorries, trucks and buses. It also manufactures diesel engines for heavy vehicles as well as marine and general industrial applications.

The Swedish company has chosen BlackBerry QNX to provide the safety certified operating system (OS) and hypervisor for its high performance computing platforms within its next electrical architecture generation in heavy goods vehicles, effectively building the high performance backbone on a single software base.

Scania has committed to use BlackBerry® QNX® software in three Electronic Control Units (ECU), including its digital cockpit, telematics, and central high-performance coordinator platform, to deliver a safe and secure foundation for software to be developed upon. Looking to the future, Scania’s usage of the QNX OS will evolve into new domains increasing the importance for a standard OS and architecture for high performance ECU’s.

Wait there's a Key 3 coming out? That's crazy. I'd be down if my Key 2 LE ever dies, which I doubt. A few weeks ago was cutting my hair, bumped the phone off the counter into the toilet. After a brief rice treatment she was working better than ever.
In 2019 I did a big 30 day Asia tour for work, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Shenzhen, Singapore, KL, Taipei and Kaohsiung. I was visiting customers and working trade shows with my distributors. When people saw my BlackBerry Key2 they were amazed, asking, is that a BlackBerry? Is it new?

My Key2 is still going strong. I run a battery health app and never charge past 90%. My app says my now almost four year old Key2 has a battery that’s 72% good. The space key started to get gummed up, a known issue, but I gave it a blast of compressed air and now it’s working perfectly again. I’ll likely keep this phone until 2024 and then swap for a new Key3, if rumours on its launch are accurate.

I miss BBM messenger. That was a great way to send private messages outside of Google, Apple, Facebook and Beijing (WeChat). Plus Snowden’s NSA had some challenge with BB , iirc.

BTW, that was likely the last time I will ever visit China. The govenrment’s kidnapping of the two Michaels could have easily have been me, or any random Canadian. Ottawa should be issuing an absolute, top level risk warning to Canadians thinking of visiting China, and should be telling all Canadians to come home. We can still do business with China, I certainly do, but do not step foot in China. And that includes transiting through Hong Kong. I ensured to book through Taipei on my 2020 trip to Singapore.

Last edited:
In 2019 I did a big 30 day Asia tour for work, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Shenzhen, Singapore, KL, Taipei and Kaohsiung. I was visiting customers and working trade shows with my distributors. When people saw my BlackBerry Key2 they were amazed, asking, is that a BlackBerry? Is it new?

Aw that sounds like a dream. Lucky. But agreed I would have fears due to the gov't. Heck I even fear the US gov't when I cross the border.

And yeah Key 2 I think should've won design awards. It's very striking. Love whipping it out and on the rare occasion you'll get a 'whoa, what's that!'.

Volvo Group selects BlackBerry QNX for its Dynamic Software Platform

Wed., April 7, 2021

WATERLOO, ON, April 7, 2021 /CNW/ -- BlackBerry Limited (NYSE: BB; TSX: BB) today announced that Volvo Group, one of the world's leading manufacturers of heavy-duty trucks, buses and construction equipment, has selected BlackBerry QNX as the foundational software for its main domain controller ECUs in more than 300,000 heavy vehicles Volvo Group manufactures every year.

To realize its vision for the electronic architecture of future generations of vehicles, Volvo Group wanted to take a new approach to software. It wanted to find a single supplier for the operating system (OS) and hypervisor to meet the needs of the 'whole truck', capable of supporting safety certification to the highest levels.

Following an in-depth proof of concept, Volvo Group decided to build its 'Volvo Dynamic Software Platform' (VDSP) on the QNX® OS for Safety and the QNX® Hypervisor for Safety, both certified to ISO 26262:2018 ASIL D. The engagement includes a new flexible use of the QNX OS and Hypervisor for the whole vehicle, which gives developers and architects the freedom to design the best possible system as the company looks at the requirements of the next 15 years, including the future support of autonomous driving and electrification.

Pre-integration with several Adaptive AUTOSAR suppliers was a primary reason Volvo Group chose BlackBerry QNX. Plus, with high levels of Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX) compliance, engineers building on BlackBerry QNX can write software for a wide range of applications with a common API.

"BlackBerry QNX is a true partner and has provided us with the foundation we need to produce the safe and secure vehicles of tomorrow," said Mark Mohr, Senior Vice President Vehicle Technology at Volvo Group. "BlackBerry is well aligned with the automotive challenges within electrification, automation and connectivity and the technical solutions needed in these domains."

Federal government signs deal with BlackBerry to use its cybersecurity tools

Shared Services Canada signed a multi-year deal with the Waterloo-based company to use its cybersecurity products, BlackBerry Spark and BlackBerry secuSUITE

Apr 12, 2021

💡keep in mind when posting articles from newspapers like Toronto Star , we can't read it , its asking us to pay to subscribe , better just copy and paste the text or take screenshot

yeah I remember my old blackberry , it actually had really great speakers , specially when listening to music

💡keep in mind when posting articles from newspapers like Toronto Star , we can't read it , its asking us to pay to subscribe , better just copy and paste the text or take screenshot

yeah I remember my old blackberry , it actually had really great speakers , specially when listening to music

Quoting a large chunk of an article is generally a no-no.

When re-publishing (fine for a private communication).

A line or 2 sure........

Most paywalled articles are either available free at some point; available free through another publication (ie. The Star puts its content into other publications it owns that are not paywalled) or can be accessed via www.outline.com

I should add, many here are subscribers.

Quoting a large chunk of an article is generally a no-no.

When re-publishing (fine for a private communication).

A line or 2 sure........

Most paywalled articles are either available free at some point; available free through another publication (ie. The Star puts its content into other publications it owns that are not paywalled) or can be accessed via www.outline.com

I should add, many here are subscribers.
thanks I didn't know about outline.com

Back