News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Show won't say anything. Otherwise it would be public. I'm telling ya, they're keeping everything a secret...on purpose.

Why is so many people concerned which stores are "high-end" and where they're going considering hardly any of them are Canadian...sounds like more Toronto insecurity...

Why is so many people concerned which stores are "high-end" and where they're going considering hardly any of them are Canadian...sounds like more Toronto insecurity...

I don't think it's insecurity at all - just logical questions. There are hardly any high-end Canadian brands anyway, that's not really the point. What may sound like whining is trying to understand the reason behind certain decisions that seem to be made regarding certain retailers. Go read some other threads in other forums - this is not unique to Toronto.

Please clarify how this differs in other cities? I find this comment more of the anti-Toronto sentiment by Torontonians themselves, thinking that for some magical reason this does not happen in other cities.
There are a lot individuals who closely follow high end retail.
This is just a discussion regarding the industry and Bloor street. No different then having a discussion about your favorite sports team and the rumors surrounding them.

I just think it seemed quite snooty the way some comments were "that store doesn't belong there"

Perhaps if that area (or any other area of Toronto) would get a three-starred Michelin quality restaurant then I won't be so skeptical...

Completely agree with you GKW. There's no reason why certain stores should be kept out from Bloor. If they can pay the rent then they have every right to be there.
However, Michelin quality restos and Canada do not mix well together.

I just think it seemed quite snooty the way some comments were "that store doesn't belong there"

Perhaps if that area (or any other area of Toronto) would get a three-starred Michelin quality restaurant then I won't be so skeptical...

So when Daniel Bouloud's restaurant opens you'll change your tune?? 3-star Michelin restaurants should have nothing to do with it. Plenty of cities do not like low-end to mid-range retail on their high-end streets, so yes, while Winners can certainly pay the rent, it looks out of place. It's not snooty, but areas develop around certain mixes of retail. Why do you think Leslieville through a fit over Walmart moving into the neighbourhood? it doesn't belong there. Just like you're not likely to see any big-box move onto Roncevalles either.

Well if we really had any control in this, i would prefer seeing the really high end stores on Yorkville and Cumberland (kinda like Oak street in Chicago) and have Bloor for more mid end and the bigger brand name high end.

Well if we really had any control in this, i would prefer seeing the really high end stores on Yorkville and Cumberland (kinda like Oak street in Chicago) and have Bloor for more mid end and the bigger brand name high end.

I'm the opposite a bit. I would rather see the upper middle end like the Theory's. Vince's, and John Varvatos' of the world on Yorkville and Cumberland - the same way that Maiden Lane in San Fran is set up.

Porsche Design will move into old Marciano space (next to TD Bank)

yup! taken today:

6870455226_6a892dc203_z.jpg

Back