News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The Jays would get compensatory draft picks once some of these players leave due to free agency. However, these picks would take years to blossom.

The 2017 Jays would unlikely be as good as this year's edition, but there is still a chance.
You only get compensatory draft picks (I believe) if you offer your own free agents a qualifying offer.....so, on 3 of the players mentioned there, you run the risk that they accept those offers and you get Jose, R.A. and Saunders back for more money on a one year deal than they may be worth and you eat up roster spots/dollars that might have been better allocated to making the team younger and more flexible.

A qualifying offer is a one year deal at the average of the top 120 salaries in MLB.

Gregor Chisholm ‏@gregorMLB now5 seconds ago
Gibbons also essentially confirmed Grilli's option will be picked up. Bautista/EE to receive qualifying offers. #BlueJays
Brendan Kennedy ‏@BKennedyStar 20s21 seconds ago
Ross Atkins stated obvious by saying Jays expect to make qualifying offers to EE & Bautista. On Saunders it's "not quite as clear," he said.
Arden Zwelling ‏@ArdenZwelling 10s10 seconds ago
Atkins says Blue Jays will look at Joe Biagini as a starter in spring training if he's open to it. Roberto Osuna is now a reliever for good.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I think the Blue Jays are strongly in need of an All-Star player to help them move on. So far, I don't have the highest hopes for next season as an All-Star player can make a HUGE difference. They definitely require a lot of work, but is all up to the GM, AFAIK. His best option is to raise a minor leaguer in the Blue Jays farm system to be an All-Star, so there is a lot of potential. :)

In other baseball news, the ancient drought ended.

The Chicago Cubs won the World Series!

Does this mean that the Leafs will win the Stanley Cup again in our lifetimes?

Everyone:

I felt that it was a shame that there had to be a loser in the 2016 World Series taking note that both the
Chicago Cubs and Cleveland Indians had not won a championship in many years. I had not felt this way
since 2005 - when the Chicago White Sox defeated the Houston Astros in the WS.

It is hard to believe now that the Toronto Maple Leafs have not won a Stanley Cup in just under 50 years and that 1967 was the last year the NHL was a six team league. NHL expansion began
in 1968 which seems like an eternity ago. NHL expansion included the NY Islanders in 1972.

I believe baseball for example changes enough today to give more teams a chance to win and that factors such as free agency and big money contracts make it tougher to keep a winning
team together over time...

In team sports I feel "Chemistry Does Matter" and that when everyone gets along and unites
towards the goal of a good season and perhaps a championship run or win it works...

We may not see true "dynasty" type teams as often such as the NY Yankees were during the first half of the 1950s winning 5 consecutive WS titles - or the 1980 to 1983 NY Islanders winning
four consecutive Stanley Cups again - it is hard enough to repeat once today or more such as
the 1992-93 Blue Jays or 1998-99-2000 NY Yankees did. More recently there was the good
example of the "every other year" SF Giants (2010-2012-2014) winning three WS titles...

LI MIKE

Last edited:
Back to the Jays:

Edwing the Parrot Man is seeking $125 million over five years: https://www.thestar.com/sports/blue...125-million-is-the-opening-salvo-griffin.html

Circumstances made him more valuable to various National League teams as he proved himself to be viable on first base (thanks to Smoak's slump and Joey Bats's need to recover), not just as DH.

See here: http://www.fanragsports.com/mlb/heyman-nothing-completely-off-table-jose-bautista/

The Dodgers, the Giants, the Astros, the Yankees, the Mets, and even the Rangers are interested in Joey Bats. However, he won't want to be Mr. Stinky's teammate (eliminating the Rangers) and he won't want to shave his famous beard (eliminating the Yankees, though it didn't stop other players with beards to be clean-shaven to join the Yankees, such as Johnny Damon or Kirby Yates, or many others).

See here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Torontoblu...ee_agent_jose_bautista_is_open_to_roles_that/

Joey Bats is also open to playing other positions as well.

Read here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Torontobluejays/comments/5c4xol/joey_bats_story_time/

The link contains an interesting story about Joey Bats and him renting a mansion in Mississauga that backs onto the Credit River.

If the Jays were to fail re-signing Edwing and/or Joey Bats, the Jays could try to get Joey Votto on board, even if it means giving up key prospects and either Stroman or Sanchez, as well as eating most of Votto's salary. He would be highly marketable, especially given that he was born in Toronto.

Last edited:
I would assume so, since he is a free agent too and can catch a knuckleball.

So the Jays got one of the MLB's top prospects, Lourdes Gurriel Jr.
The bigger news is the 3-year deal for Kendrys Morales. As a 1B/DH, Encarnacion is as good as gone. Which really sucks.

Back