News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

NAME ANNOUNCEMENT THURSDAY 11TH MAY 11:30 ET

Name & logo to be officially unveiled at 11:30 ET at Exhibition Place.

Re: NAME ANNOUNCEMENT THURSDAY 11TH MAY 11:30 ET

thanks for the update jcapitain :)

No originality at all. They've stooped to going with Euro traditons hoping for some semblance of acceptance. Err.. well it is somewat better than TO United FC.

Go Leafs Go!!!!

"Are they finished with evacation"

they aren't going to excavate

The team won't last 3 seasons before MLS&E bails and the City is left hanging. Don't say I didnt warn you!

TO is a hockey town. Hockey is Canada- that's it. Jays are a solid second for TO and the raptors are a distant third. If TO got an NFL team- that would be a close second for the Jays. I'll watch the raptors but I could care less about them if they're not in the thick of things. A TO soccer team? hmm- I like soccer, I personally played it for several years in highschool and university, but quite honestly it's not going to fly in this town as a serious sport.

Inter TO FC- lol... :rollin

If they are going with an Italo-Euro feel with the team it would have made sense to build the stadium in Downsview or Vaughan. The fan demographic will be mainy male 19-36 years old and European decent. These fans dont take the subway or streetcar, its just not cool. What these fans want is a big parking lot to show off their cool cars. Its not the game (it's boring to watch) but the experience. I recall going to Blizzard games at Exhibition Stadium and when the New York Cosmos came to town the parking lot was full of suped up Camero's, Firebird's and Trans-Am's. There were more cars in the parking lot than in the stands. If you had a cool car, you were there, it was all part of the experience. Its the same with NFL football, fans go the tail-gate parties for the experience.

Some tidbits from the article

The logo:

FzMF8GiO.jpg

About the straightforwardness of the name:
"The absence of a conventional sports nickname is deliberate," Anselmi added. "We wanted the whole city to feel ownership and we want to provide the opportunity for a meaningful nickname to emerge over time."

which I think makes a lot of sense.

About the schedule:
The 20,000-seat stadium is due to be completed in time for the start of the 2007 MLS season. The site will be excavated by the end of May, and seats and turf are scheduled to be installed by the end of the year.

When I hear "MLS" I think Multiple Listing Service.

I think that Toronto F.C. is a good choice,
For you guys into soccer Sporting Lisbon Soccer Club Toronto,s afiliate Youth Regional & City soccer teams have a new message board/fourm on their website. www.sportingtoronto.com

I like Toronto FC. Very simple and classic. It's a sharp contrast to our last public naming, the "Raptors." Gosh, I just saw Jurrasic Park and need to think of a good name for the basketball team...

Thank god some popular movie didn't influence the naming of MLS team. Otherwise, we might have ended up with the "Toronto MI3s," "Toronto X-Men" or the "Toronto 40 Year Old Virgins."

Actually, I like that last one.

Thank god some popular movie didn't influence the naming of MLS team.
However, if the mainstream cared about soccer opps foot ball, they would probably have been outraged at what happened when MLS's New York/New Jersey MetroStars were bought for about £65 million by Dietrich Mateschitz, an Austrian entrepreneur, and promptly renamed them New York Red Bulls, after the drink.
The move is part of a transparent effort by Red Bull to get its brand name into the sports pages. Previously Mateschitz had bought the football club Austria Salzburg and the Formula One teams Jaguar and Minardi, renaming them Red Bull Salzburg, Red Bull Racing and Toro Rosso (“Red Bull†in Italian).
New York Red Bulls will now feature the company’s corporate logo and distinctive blue and red colours. There was a general outcry among the MetroStars’ small but vocal support, just as there had been among Salzburg’s fans when they were taken over last summer, but the protests are quickly waning.

Red and gray? Yuck!

The red's fine. Almost all of Toronto's sports teams use blue as the main team colour (Leafs, Jays, Argos, Marlies, St. Mike's). The Raptors only recently appeared to change their "main" team colour to red from purple (their court colour and the colour of their newest jersey), since they're the only Canadian team in the NBA.

I think teams and their fans that wear red tend to get more attention in the sports world. Check out teams like the Calgary Flames, Detroit Red Wings, Montreal Canadiens, Anaheim Angels, St. Louis Cardinals, Boston Red Sox, and others that wear red. Their fans seem to be more passionate about the game, because they stand out in the crowd. In the 2002 FIFA World Cup you might remember the South Koreans going all the way to the semi-finals backed by a country where everybody was wearing red.

Who knows, if Toronto FC takes off nicely, Toronto would eventually get it's version of Calgary's Red Mile.

Back