News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I saw it when at the National Home Show at the weekend, but did not photograph it. It looks like a munched up parking lot at the moment.

Surprisingly enough the Home Show included a couple of exhibits this year that were not tacky, but which were threatened by the sea of tack lapping at their shores.

From the Star:

Link to article

FIFA official favours T.O. over Edmonton
Apr. 12, 2006. 07:16 PM

FIFA vice-president Jack Warner praised Canada's buildup for the 2007 world under-20 tournament Wednesday, but took a swipe at Edmonton for its recent lukewarm reception to soccer.

Edmonton drew 47,484 fans to Commonwealth Stadium in 2002 for the Canada-U.S final at the inaugural FIFA women's under-19 championship, winning rave reviews from FIFA and others.

But for the men's under-20 tournament in 2007, Canadian organizers have opted to stage the July 22 final at Toronto's National Soccer Stadium. The venue, currently under construction, will hold no more than 25,000.

Edmonton will still play a large role as tournament co-host, but will see its participation end at the semifinal stage.

"I don't live here, so I can say quite honestly that I think Edmonton has been lucky to even get a semifinal," Warner, a native of Trinidad and Tobago, said in an interview after a news conference on the grounds of Exhibition Place, a stone's throw from the Toronto stadium construction site.

"While the (2002) women's event was a success, it seems to me from the records we have seen that it could be looked at as an aberration. Because following that, international matches have been played in Edmonton and the (attendance) figures have been from 11,000 to 7,000."

Last September, there were 8,812 at Commonwealth Stadium to see Germany beat the Canadian women's team 4-3 under a light rain. The Canadian men's team drew 9,654 in September 2004 for a 1-1 World Cup qualifying tie with Honduras.

Warner said Toronto was "the logical choice" to host the final because of its new stadium, the diversity of its population and the co-operation of local governments.

Edmonton will host two of Canada's first-round games — the Canadian men's opening outing will be in Toronto — plus two round-of-16 games, a quarter-final and semifinal.

Warner is a FIFA heavyweight who doubles as president of CONCACAF, the continental confederation that covers North and Central America and the Caribbean. He is also chairman of the Canadian tournament's organizing committee.

Warner and other officials have spent the last nine days touring Edmonton, Toronto and the tournament's four other venues: Victoria, Burnaby (Vancouver), Ottawa and Montreal.

Warner and Canadian Soccer officials said the inspection process turned up some issues to be fixed, but nothing insurmountable.

"They are critical, they are important, but in the (overall) scheme of things they are not mind-boggling," Warner said.

With Montreal Impact boss Joey Saputo putting his planned new Montreal stadium on the backburner, the Montreal site remains a question mark. Everyone involved wants to go to Molson Stadium on the McGill University grounds, but the artificial turf there has lines on it and FIFA demands a pristine green surface.

Kevan Pipe, chief operating officer of the Canadian Soccer Association, bit his tongue when asked whether he felt the urge to say `I told you so."

In 2003, when McGill was examining its turf options, Pipe and Canadian soccer officials pressed hard for a plain surface to avoid just this problem. The CFL Alouettes, a major tenant, wanted a football-ready field with stitched in lines.

In the end, the university and CFL thought they had found a compromise with an artificial surface whose lines could be covered up. But that solution never worked.

The options now to make the stadium ready for the FIFA tournament are to spend $500,000 on new plain turf or lay a temporary grass surface.

"The problem is it doesn't fix it for a long-term period," Pipe said of the temporary solution. "If we have the opportunity to do things right, we have to take that opportunity. So that's what we're trying to do right now, we're trying to establish a long-term solution so we can come back to McGill University in future and bring big international games to McGill University."

The issue is who pays for the new artificial turf.

There are lesser issues in Victoria and Burnaby, B.C., involving stadium lighting, dressing rooms and VIP seating.

The CSA and Burnaby have already struck a deal to upgrade Swangard Stadium, Pipe said.

The City of Ottawa, meanwhile, has pledged to replace the artificial turf at Frank Clair Stadium with a higher-grade surface at a cost of $440,000.

Warner raved about Victoria, saying it and Cape Town were two places in the world he would consider retiring to — with Victoria No. 1 on that list.

He also praised Ottawa, saying it was the best venue on the tour while marvelling you can sit in the stands and see boats sailing along the Rideau Canal.

FIFA officials will be back in October to inspect the progress.

Notes: The under-20 tournament — whose official name is the unwieldy FIFA U-20 World Cup Canada 2007 — is second only in size to the men's World Cup, with 24 countries and 52 matches. ... The 2007 tournament will mark the 17th edition of the event. ... Pipe estimates the final will draw a worldwide television audience in excess of 100 million. ... TV talks continue with Canadian networks, he added, with an "opening salvo" goal of airing all 52 matches. ... The plan is to complete the Toronto stadium May 1, 2007, two months ahead of the tournament kickoff. ... Pipe says the CSA has already bid to host the CONCACAF 2008 women's Olympic qualifying tournament, adding Toronto has already been confirmed as one of the host sites for the 2009 men's Gold Cup.

From the Star:

Link to article

'Inter' name poses Real problem for club
T.O.'s MLS entry needs more inclusive moniker
Apr. 13, 2006. 01:00 AM
CATHAL KELLY

Major League Soccer is working very hard to get its new brand of pandering just right. Largely unable to interest mainstream America, the league has turned its sights on the ethnic fans most attached to the beautiful game.

So when Toronto's MLS franchise debuts in spring 2007, it seems it's going to do so brimming with Italian brio. It's been widely reported that the team will be called Inter Toronto FC, a name inspired by Serie A club Inter Milan. Team owner Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment has neither confirmed nor denied the widespread rumour.

At first blush, this is a clear sop to the 200,000 or so members of Toronto's Italian community. But for every Inter fan in this city, there's an Italian Juventus, AC Milan or Roma supporter who won't like the idea one bit. It's more likely that MLSE's braintrust thought the name suited our multicultural make-up since Inter Milan was born as an immigrant experiment.

In the early 20th century, the Milan Cricket and Football Club didn't accept non-Italians as members. So in 1908 a group of unhappy Swiss players and some Italian rebels formed their own side. They named it Internazionale to celebrate its multinational character. Thus the nickname "Inter." The MCFC would go on to become their bitter modern rivals, AC Milan.

When MLS kicked off in 1996, it did so with team names like the Crew, the Mutiny and the Rapids — American names. After the 2004 season, the thinking shifted to accommodate the league's fastest growing fan base.

The Dallas Burn was renamed FC Dallas ("F" for futbol rather than football), acknowledging that the club's core support came from the Latino community. An expansion franchise aimed at Los Angeles's Spanish speakers was named Deportivo Chivas. Another in Utah, where Latinos make up more than one-tenth of the population, was dubbed Real Salt Lake. Most white Utahns, even the soccer fans, mistakenly pronounced it "Reel" instead of "Ray-al."

When the San Jose Earthquakes moved to Houston for the 2006 season, they tried a variation on the league's new theme. Officials christened the club Houston 1836 to mark the year of the city's birth. It's common for German sides to note the year of a club's creation in their names (e.g. Munich 1860, Bayer 04 Leverkusen). This time, the moniker blew up in their faces.

As in Dallas, L.A. and Salt Lake City, a large part of MLS's Houston strategy was to attract Latinos.

So when the team's target audience pointed out that 1836 also marked the year white Texans bloodily seceded from Mexico, it was cause for concern. When the issue spilled into the larger political debate of Texas, a state where one in three citizens claims Mexican ancestry, it became a crisis. Before it had played a game, the club was renamed Houston Dynamo.

That's not to suggest any sort of ethnic revolt is going to happen in Toronto. But naming the team Inter annoys non-Italian fans, Italian fans who don't like Inter and the vast sports-going public who has no idea what the name means. Even Inter Milan's fans could conceivably object to an upstart side equating itself with the Italian giant.

Appealing directly to Mexican-Americans in cities where Anglo locals politely ignore your product is one thing, but picking ethnic favourites in Toronto is all downside. Someone's bound to feel left out.

Also, aping the names of bigger clubs only calls attention to what MLS isn't — a European league.

In the end, the team name has to make a compromise between pleasing the relatively few knowledgeable local fans while not alienating the legion of others who might warm up to Toronto soccer, but need to be coaxed along gently.

And here's the thing about compromises — they usually bother someone.

Houston's compromise — Dynamo — echoes Dynamo Moscow. That club was named and controlled for many years by the Soviet secret police. Fortunately for MLS, Houston's eastern European émigré community doesn't have the clout to mess with Texas.

The web domain name www.intertorontofc.com was purchased by MLSE on January 19th 2006.

They do not seem to own any of the other web domains as far as I can see.

Therefore has MLSE already settled on INTER TORONTO FC?!

Hmm...

I do not like these European names (Inter, FC, United) at all! I much like North American style mascot/noun names. I provided the name Toronto Tundra, so cross your fingers!

I recommended a Euro sounding name that I think would fit; the Toronto Pronto!

How about this ?

rabid.jpg

On the ballot the choices are:
Toronto FC (Football Club? Futbal Club? Field Club? MLS = Major League ____, ZZZZZZzzzzz..)
Inter Toronto FC (Mimickery is a form of flattery with Milan the benefactor and Toronto the unoriginal)
Toronto Northmen FC (The most original of the bunch which isn't saying much)
Toronto Nationals (Unoriginal, a Washington Hockey Team)
Toronto Reds (Unoriginal, a colour, a Cincinatti baseball team, the colour of Boston's Sox, ZZZZzzzzz....)

WHY? WHY? WHY? Maybe Toronto Rough Riders FC to show some real Canadian originality... or is it Roughriders? :rolleyes

I voted Toronto Blizzard but would be happy with any original name which seems Canadian, Ontarian, or Torontonian. Toronto Iced Caps? Toronto Island Ferries? Toronto Stuffed Beavers? Just kidding of course :D Of those above I would have chosen Northmen but SC rather than FC. Why are we mimicking with the FC and Inter names? Lets be ourselves and be unique. Toronto Urbanites SC?

How about Toronto Lakers F.C. or F.C.Toronto Nationals or even Toronto Bullpits F.C.

Enviro beat me to it: FC = Football Club ... MLS = Major League Soccer.

I can't believe that such a marketing giant like MLSE would be so lacking of ideas for their newest franchise.

Back