News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Yay! It'll mean the end of the last Orion VIs. I like the layout of the Xcelsiors, but the LFS model isn't bad.
That's an old article from 2013, Brampton Transit received 15 4th generation Nova LFSes (#1401-1415) last summer and coinciding with the arrival of 10 more 2014 XDE60s (#1575-1584) for Züm.

The artics have been in service for awhile, but the 2014s were still sitting in the Sandalwood Works Yard when I last checked.

^ ha ha....someone tweeted it yesterday and I did not even check the date :(

EDIT: checked with guy who tweeted it.....he had seen the Mayor on TV and she noted those buses are being delivered in summer 2015

Last edited:
Coincidentally enough today is my first time seeing one of the 2014 Novas outside of the Sandalwood Complex. 1402 is currently laying over at the Gateway Terminal.

I'm sure many of you will be disappointed by the lack of a rear window on this series. Since they are part of a multi-year 70 bus order, I would imagine the next 55 Novas to also be rear windowless.

Two new Züm routes are coming soon: Steeles West in 2015, and Queen West in 2016.

Crazy! Queen West hardly needs Züm. It's not even a major street by a long shot past the Four Corners. Much of it is still two lanes with ditches!

I agree, Queen West doesn't really merit a Zum route; apart from Dixie or Airport, the Zum routes are pretty much exhausted. Steeles West is becoming a busier route, especially with the residential and industrial growth out there, but I'd rather see improvements to the 51/51A than a new 551 route. Just extend the 511 into the Sheridan College property for a frequent, all day direct route from Hurontario/Steeles without roundabout walks at the Steeles/McLaughlin intersection from the westbound direction or taking the less frequent 53.

James Potter should be a through route from Steeles to Bovaird (or at least north of Queen) by September; work finally started on the OBRY rail crossing west of Chinguacousy Road. This will finally give Brampton Transit the opportunity to completely clean-up the loops and one-way routings in the southwest and west ends.

• The 53 James Potter is intended to become a through north-south route between the Gateway (Shoppers World) Terminal and Mount Pleasant GO. This eliminates the 4A via James Potter.
    With this I'd do the following:
  • The 54 King Knoll will now be a stand-alone local feeder route. Long one-way loops are stupid. I'd run the 52 McMurchy in both directions on County Court and Ray Lawson to King Knoll, turning back to Sheridan College. Route 54 could then go from Sheridan College via McLaughlin, Oaklea, Ray Lawson, Clementine, James Potter and Charolais to Gateway Terminal, it will now be a 2-way route with the same routing in both directions.
  • Route 6, the Queen West route, would take over Route 56's routing along Queen West, and straight up Mississauga Road and into Mount Pleasant GO.
  • Route 56 would then return to a short feeder route serving Williams Parkway, or merge it with Route 58 Financial, offering a north-south route between Meadowvale Business Park and Mount Pleasant GO.

I'm curious as to what the proposed changes will be for September 2015.

Last edited:
I don't know but perhaps they are thinking there is real value in linking the 501 with Mt. Pleasant station....I believe the Queen West extension goes to Mississauga Road then up to Mt Pleasant.....no?

Operationally, perhaps the savings in time they will acheive in the east end of the line around that time (with a direct connection to the subway rather than the big loop around York Campus) will mean they can run this western extension without much, if any, changes in the number of buses and drivers.

Who knows?

I agree. I would rather have an incremental increase in the 501 and 511 westwards to areas that need it than creating unnecessary zum routes that don't connect to any significant hubs.

They should use the money to invest in more north south Zum routes like Airport and Dixie and Kennedy.

I don't know but perhaps they are thinking there is real value in linking the 501 with Mt. Pleasant station....I believe the Queen West extension goes to Mississauga Road then up to Mt Pleasant.....no?

Operationally, perhaps the savings in time they will acheive in the east end of the line around that time (with a direct connection to the subway rather than the big loop around York Campus) will mean they can run this western extension without much, if any, changes in the number of buses and drivers.

Who knows?

It looks like the subway extension is being delayed again so I'm unsure how possible this will be. Also I think Brampton Transit (stupidly in my opinion) does not plan on extending the 501 to Mount Pleasant. It instead wants to create a new route between Downtown and Mount Pleasant.

I hope they also change the "551" routing last-minute, like they did with the 505.

What I mean is that the "551" should go straight to Meadowvale TC instead of Lisgar, and instead can simply add a stop at W. Churchill at Argentia as a measure to serve the Lisgar SmartCentre.

After all, Brampton doesn't have a good connection with Milton transit-wise, and they can use the Meadowvale stop as a means to connect to it, and the transit demand to the town will only fuel up when it grows further or when it opens up a Laurier campus and Milton Transit decides to provide direct service along Derry from Meadowvale to the campus.

I hope they also change the "551" routing last-minute, like they did with the 505.

What I mean is that the "551" should go straight to Meadowvale TC instead of Lisgar, and instead can simply add a stop at W. Churchill at Argentia as a measure to serve the Lisgar SmartCentre.

After all, Brampton doesn't have a good connection with Milton transit-wise, and they can use the Meadowvale stop as a means to connect to it, and the transit demand to the town will only fuel up when it grows further or when it opens up a Laurier campus and Milton Transit decides to provide direct service along Derry from Meadowvale to the campus.

The outlet mall at Trafalgar Road/401/Steeles, despite it being reliant on poorly-paid retail workers, has no transit access. This might be where the 51A and Milton Transit could (should) meet up. Lisgar is a rather useless GO Station; I'd also like to see an extended 58 route go from Mount Pleasant GO to Meadowvale GO for the connections to Milton and the Meadowvale business park from the Kitchener Line.

Yes, there will be a Zum route connecting Downtown Terminal and Mt. Pleasant Station but it will not be an extension of the 501. It will be a new Zum route. A very bad idea in my opinion.
From a transit planning and operations perspective it makes the most sense to seperate the two. You have an ideal point to split the route, at a terminal where chances are you're going to see most people get off at anyways. Longer routes suffer from reliability issues and problems with matching up frequencies accordingly between the two portions of the route.

With the Eglinton line finally coming to fruition, the TTC plans on splitting a lot of their NS routes up at the Eglinton line terminals.

Now that you brought it up, I wonder why Miway doesn't decommission the MTC terminal. I doesn't even sit at a geographical location that makes sense as an endpoint for routes as it once did. Same for BT's Heart Lake terminal.

Back