News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Alsop was only involved in the initial concepts but when Urbancorp started selling the westside lofts, Alsop was no longer involved. My guess is that they didn't want to spend the money to build his concepts so they took him out of the equation.

He designed the presentation centre (below) and the bridge... Kirkor designed the buildings... whether they scrapped his bridge, I don't know... But I don't think so as there would've been an outcry

2712068069_a2f0e1e343_o.jpg

2712880588_881a1a6d15_o.jpg

2712067719_c5f2e1d7f0_o.jpg

2712067617_e3d1a116bc_o.jpg

2712880198_7a085c17f7_o.jpg

Source: www.alsoparchitects.com

I thought that Alsop pulled out of this project when his local office closed?

His office did indeed close, but Alsop is still involved with the project.

I wasn't aware he closed his Toronto office.. He only opened it in 2005. His Filmport project is alive and kicking with completion set for 2010.

Alsop's Filmport is still a go but his office did close sometime in 2007.

Alsop was only involved in the initial concepts but when Urbancorp started selling the westside lofts, Alsop was no longer involved. My guess is that they didn't want to spend the money to build his concepts so they took him out of the equation.

Actually Alsop was, and continues to be, more involved than that. He was never directly involved with The Bridge but he did design WESTside Lofts, the WESTside Lofts sales center and a set of townhomes for the King Towns development called 'The Alsop', to the west of The Bridge .

Another little-known fact about Alsop is that his design for the Pompidou Center in Paris came second to winners Piano and Rogers. Though I have still never seen his design it still intrigues me to this day.

I know he did the sales centre but i thought someone else did Westside lofts. I remember seeing his initial renderings for "the bridge" but wasn't sure if his design for the actual bridge were being carried out. Hopefully we'll see some more of his input to this development. Haven't heard any more information about his Townhomes besides those renderings floating around a while ago. Are these still progressing?

^... Thanks for the link
I spent quite a bit of time and I had no luck either... just a generic bride showing the location

Alsop's UK office remains open, but was acquired by a larger engineering/architectural design office. His office in Toronto, on the other hand did close, whether or not it is still part of this project or any of the other projects he was a part of before his departure, is anyone's guess.

p5

Haven't heard any more information about his Townhomes besides those renderings floating around a while ago. Are these still progressing?

The Alsop townhouses are gone. You can see the victorian knockoffs in their place just east of Dufferin.

Sorry for the quality of the photo, as it was hard to sneak this one in... It's from the scale model in the showroom.
ProjectEnd - I take it this is not the Alsop bridge you were refering to as it has no artistic value. Too bad they dropped it.

2769813918_6daee9bbf0_o.jpg

Back